Thread: Laura and the new/old setup

Thanks

Laura and the new/old setup

ok, I might as well start a new thread here. We were GIVEN a tank set up. 100 (we think) gl with great wooden stand and canopy with misc other items. I carried the wet/dry right to the street (yuck) and got a 33 gl to fit under for sump/fuge. My husband was going to resilicone the tank, as it had been sitting in a garage for over a year. It looks like a DIY overflow. One small box with only one hole, no hole for a return. My husband went to LFS (where our son works) to get silicone and saw a predrilledw/ dual overflows, 125 gl with similar enough dimentions to fit the stand and canopy, and two overflow kits. Sooo... so far my free setup has only cost $430 (sorry about your class ring Dillon). The kits seemed pricey, about $65 each, but Dil gets a 25% discount, and I am sure a kit is convenient! Anyway, my head is spinning. My RODI will come from Russ (Buckeye Field Supply) on Thursday. I have some logistics to figure out, and some REALLY dumb questions, as I am ONLY familiar with MY setup that Ive had these years. I will have to figure out the sump/fuge, with overflows coming from opposite ends. This setup has a Little Giant inline pump, I think its a 750 gph, I also have a submersable 750, sufficient? OK, here come the really dumb questions... (more later)

1) Do you have overfow hose connected to skimmer? This JUST occurred to me today as I was looking at mine. I bought a great skimmer from Dick this year, but as my old one, I am always having to adjust it with the water level (i know my level shouldnt vary, but Im human). Would this be alleviated if they were connected?

2) I am NOT going to buy Live arragonite, and my LFS doesnt sell it dry AND Dick needs his!! I think I am going to go with a SSB, in which case I wont need all of my sand at once????? What is my easiest scenario for transferring the sand from my 55 gl set up??? It is a DSB, so there will be enough sand, I want to save as many critters as I can, but I know what will happen if I start 'digging' in there.

3) What do I have to know about a cycle, keeping the above in mind? Can I fill the tank and put in all my rock that is coral free, and a few cups of sand from the top layer? OR can I put everything in except for the fish right away? I would really like to use as much of my water and sand as possible. I can always rinse the rest of the sand later after everything is broken down, and add it in??

4) 125 gallon tank 4 sale. One overflow box w/one hole, flourescent lighting, wet/dry sump thing, glass topper things, skimmer, uv sterilizer that I have no idea about!!!
    wow, time to update!!

125 gl reef
    37 gl sump/fuge
    3x250 20k radiums
    dual uverflows
    Most people have skeletons in their closet, mine are in my sump!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Laura, you are a hoot! I’d love to answer your questions right now BUT, it’s 12:40am and I was just heading for bed when I made the dumb decision to see who or what needed tending to here on TR. So, some time tomorrow, I’ll respond to your questions.

Nighty night! LOL!
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    How come when Pearson gets free stuff he ends up making money off of it and when the rest of us do it cost us money? LOL!
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Dick, are you there JK

I DID want to add that the only thing new going into this setup at this time is more water (and new glass!!). I will be adding more rock a peice at a time as I can afford it!.

Carmie, true that!! The skimmer it came with appears really decent, but there are exposed wires on the cord at thr base of the pump, wonder if it can be fixed to sell cause the one I got from Dick is a better one. The UV has a couple of broken parts also, will look into fixing and keeping around or fixing and selling. I might as well keep that nasty wet/dry and clean it up to sell with the tank. maybe I can recoupe some of the money for the new tank!
    wow, time to update!!

125 gl reef
    37 gl sump/fuge
    3x250 20k radiums
    dual uverflows

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I wouldn't trash the wet/dry. I use an old one, with out bioballs, for my sump.

http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...urrenttag=sump

Maybe you could use that rubbery stuff that you dip things into to fix the power cord but I would wait until someone who knows a lot more about electricity than me to find out for sure.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    I bought a 33 gl long to use for sump/fuge, plumbing takes some extra thought as the tank has dual overflow/returns, but I think I have it figured out!
    I really WOULD like to save that pump, but right on... I will NOT got alone!!
    I havent heard anything about the skimmer being hooked up to the overflow hose so I am not going to do that unless someone tells me differently!
    wow, time to update!!

125 gl reef
    37 gl sump/fuge
    3x250 20k radiums
    dual uverflows

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Laura, plumbing is my biggest weakness so you should take that under advisement. But, i believe that there some people who run their overflow tube into their skimmer thus eliminating a pump and its associated costs.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Thanks
    This is a blind generalization ....

Most electrical cords can be replaced. Exposed wires are not a major issue if you can open the compartment where they lead to replace the leads and SEAL it water tight again. It can be done in a matter of a half hour and less than a six-pack on the red-neck fix-it meter.

I wish I was still living in Tampa Bay area.. I would clan up your new trash pile in a minute for ya! Bare wires and all.
    Matt Colson

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 10-6
    See you in 2012

Thread Information