Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: My JBJ Nanocube 28 gallon CF Quad

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I found a pic of an Amphipod that looks a little wormish, so yeah, there are some that do. I also saw a lot of chitinous variations too. Actually, I'm not sure there would be a reason I can't just post a link to the website, it looks like it might be a decent Identification site. If anybody finds any issues with it, please let me know. http://www.starfish.ch/c-invertebrat...-copepods.html

Apprentice
    Thanks
    Well there are some awesome pictures on that site. No...I do not have pictures. I ran my mag-float across the glass. If they populate the glass again I'll try to get one.

Buddy

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Things have been pretty exciting from my end. Last weekend, I not only acquired five more corals (making the grand total six) but I also met Amphibian! My first ORCA meeting was a frag auction, and I feel like I took Vegas at the tables! My corals are kool, for me and my daughter, but not real exciting when compared to most of the TR tanks. The best part was actually meeting and really getting along well with Dick. I just wish I had more time to spend with him. My wife was pretty adamant about cutting out as soon as the frags were paid for (Awesome deals too!) I want to plan a weekend down to Ft. Peirce so we can see his 800 gallon system and he can get a months worth of Fist Bumps and High Fives from Blizz. I'm half way into the Sea Horse podcasts, how are you doing with the planning phases of your Daughters Sea Horse tank? Have you ID'd the hitchhikers on the glass in your nano yet?

Apprentice
    Thanks
    Hi,
    Sounds like you had a great time. Next time leave the wife home...lol. I'm sure she'd rather go shopping then look at coral. I don't know what that was on the glass yet. Added to my CUC crew yesterday. Picked up a 30 gallon CUC and some extra crabs and split them between the two tanks. I also took delivery of my Lawnmower blenny and Sixline Wrasse. I got three Naussarius Tongan snails...the big ones....I think they are cool. I love when they motor around the tank when they smell food. Oh yeah...I also got a small Zoanthid frag. Everyone is alive this morning. I caught one of my nerite snails eating all my coraline algae off of one of my liverocks. Man I was ticked! I am a little disappointed in the rock that came. It just doesn't have too much color. I guess I need to be patient some more and wait till the tank ages and the GHA is gone.

Seahorse tank is up and running with CUC. I'll post at that tank log on its progress.

Buddy

Apprentice
    Thanks
    Okay guys...it looks like my new residents are adjusting well. Here are some pics of the new fish:

This is Benny the Lawnmower Blenny

A shot of my Sixline Wrasse...oh an I named him Six ;-) pretty original huh. Harder to get a shot of him.

The pair posing together.

This is the Zoanthid frag I got from Reefcleaners.org. They have been in the tank two days. This morning it looks like they are finally opening up. They came on a frag plug that I have pushed in the sand. I think they need to be up higher on the rock towards the light. I don't have any epoxy yet. I thought I would move them up 6 inches at a time once a week to see how they react. Anyone want to chime in on this. I have never kept corals or their cousins before.

Nice shot of a Thinline Hermit.

Head on with Six.

Thanks for looking. Oh by the way, in case anyone is wondering what kind of camera I am using. It is a Fujifilm S5700. I shot these pictures with the macro setting, with and without flash. I also have a question about the blenny. Will he eat the cheato algae if he is hungry? I picked up some food that I think he will eat because my hair algae is almost gone. Was wondering if chaeto was something he would eat though.

Buddy
    Last edited by Gobby; 11-04-2010 at 11:26 AM. Reason: added question

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Dunno. Mine just wanders the tank biting things. I hope that I'm not starving my algae annihilators to death as I bring my tank under control. I'm thinking about getting a wrasse, maybe a six line. But not until I can set up a QT. I need to cycle one anyway in order to cycle a new fuge. Not enough time in the day... How are you doing with time management? Your Nano is looking pretty good.

Apprentice
    Thanks
    Time is not a problem right now that I am off because of the surgery I had. I have at least five more weeks to play around with the tanks before I have to worry about managing my tank time...lol.

Buddy

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    After I had shoulder surgery I ramped up the sensitivity of my mouse and used a clipboard between my hand and my chest and played PC games for a week straight. I didn't do much with my tanks at all (back then they were all fresh water) I went back to work too soon and now I have a lot of scar tissue to deal with, Still better than it was before the surgery though.
    Anybody got back to you on the Lawnmower Blenny eating the Cheato yet? That would be a good piece of info for most of us. I wonder if my Sea Hare would eat it too...

Apprentice
    Thanks
    Well no, you are the only one who has chimed in as of late. We had a little violence in this tank yesterday and the night before. The big Thinline Crab in the picture above was being harassed by the other big Thinline Crab. It seemed that he wanted his shell instead of the one he is in. The other one has black legs instead of red. Well after he forced him out of the shell he wouldn't let him back in, but stayed in his own shell.....I didn't get that. So the red one found another shell that I threw in for him. So all was well till the next morning when I checked on them. They were okay....BUT I found what looked like a dead crab....face, claws and all.....RED ones. The red one was still in the new shell and the black one was in his shell too. So I can only think that the red one must of been ready to moult the night before and the black one knew it. I went to the store for a little while and when I got back the red one was out of his shell and dead, as well as a little chewed on. So we have our first casualty.

Today my Zoanthid frag is coming loose from the mount. I think that maybe all the crabs have been making to many passes overtop of them. I need to superglue it to a rock or something. It isn't totally closed and I think it will do okay. Someone more experienced would know better than me. These are new to me. I hope I don't kill them.

Buddy

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    I love the shot of the six line head on... looks so inquisitive!

Apprentice
    Thanks
    Thank you.....yeah I liked it too. Thats the reason I put it on here even though its a little blurry.

Buddy

Apprentice
    Thanks
    Good morning,
    Some bad news today. I went downstairs to do my weekly water change and water tests and found the Blenny dead. He looked so healthy as far as I could tell until I found him. All my water parameters were good:

Temp- 78 dgrees
    P.H.- 7.9 (actually, this is too low. 8:30 in the morning though. Lights had just come on.)
    Salinity- 1.026
    Ammonia- 0
    Nitrite- 0
    Nitrate- 0
    Calcium- 480
    Carb. Hardness- 9 dkH
    Phosphate- 0.25

Everything looks pretty good except the P.H. Until I get the rear media basket fuge light I may need a P.H. buffer to help with the swing. Anyone have a favorite? Also I expected my phosphate to be higher after feeding these guys once a day, but they have stayed where they have been. Never been higher than this. Actually, I can't believe my nitrates were zero with all the food going into the tank. The rock and DSB must be doing a good job.
    All I can think is he didn't eat enough. The GHA is almost all gone....more due to the crabs and snails I think. I was supplementing with algae wafers and some frozen omnivore food. I never did see him eat anything. He may have at night. I did notice something else though. There was a flap of skin on his mouth that I thought was just part of the funny face he had....right on the lower lip. Maybe one of the crabs bit him or he scraped a rock or something....not sure.

Buddy

Apprentice
    Thanks
    I just googled images of Lawnmower Blennies and didn't see anything on their mouths like I saw on mine. Something must have been up...I wish I had taken a picture.

Buddy

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    In the pics posted earlier, the Lawnmower Blenny had very puffy lips compared to mine. I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it or not, but maybe.

Apprentice
    Thanks
    You know...you are right. I just did a side by side comparison of some pics on goggle and the pic above is very puffy. Does anyone else know what that is?

Buddy

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Sorry about the loss of the blenny and crab. The puffy lips could be another indication of a mouth injury. I believe that lawnmower blennies bury themselves at night so if you didn't see it eating during the day it probably wasn't and could have starved to death.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    All right Buddy, it's been a hot minute since you've updated. I assume your shoulder healed and you don't have time for us anymore... Solo bromando I picked up a couple of really nice pieces of LR form Amphibious on Sat and I got my first Bristle Worm! I found him today. I also got a RBTA and a Green Star Polyp coral. It was a fantastic trip (I suffered through food poisoning from dinner on Fri Night, so it took a lot to make Sat a good day!) and my Daughter has decided that Amphibious is her best friend! I screwed up royally by not noticing that the RBTA had jumped from his rock tot the large (Home to a scallop too!) piece of LR, and I traumatized him by dropping him with only 15 to 20 min of acclimation (with the amount of water in the bucket, that was really not a significant amount of tank water!) So I am very happy to see him out and active. My Lawnmower Blenny is pestering my Starry Blenny incessantly, so if you want to take a road trip to FL, I'll give you my Lawnmower! It would probly be more gas than he's worth, but at least you know he's healthy.

Apprentice
    Thanks
    Sorry....I am here still. Not healed yet. I moved my zoanthid frag to the top of the rock. Man has it made a difference. Really neat to witness the change. I had it on the bottom and the crab kept walking on it and it just wanted more light. Six is doing well.

I have alot of fine particles floating in the water column all the time. I think i need to do something with my media basket to help filter better. Right now I have the stock sponge in the top to catch larger debris, filter pads or floss in the center and Chemipure in the bottom. It seems like it needs to be cleaned everyday sometimes. I'm feeding one small frozen cube of food once every other day or sometimes everyday. Probably too much huh? Cracks me up how the Nausarius Tongan snails come up out of the sand like the dawn of the dead as soon as the food hits the water. Anyone have a better setup for the JBJ for filtration.... Any suggestions? Also I have some algae growing on some of the rock that is lime green in color. Nothing hairy or anything. Looks like coralline. Does coralline come in lime green...lol.

Buddy

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Maybe? I have some neon green something growing on my LR that may be some type of coralline algae... I'll post a pic, but it was taken with my Blackberry, it's kinda washed out and you can't see the colors as well as IRL. No decent pics unless my Momma comes to visit, she's the Photographer. It's also got the new LR, Coral and RBTA I got from Amphibious in the pic. The RBTA is doing very well right now. Let's how she does when I have to skip a water change while I'm on call this weekend.

The green is mostly on the rock above the yellow tang.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Coralline comes in many colors including lime green. In my NC 24 I don't use any sponges, filter floss or any mechanical filtration like that. I am a little lazy and they just take too much work to avoid nitrifing bacteria. I do think that after a while you get enough biofilm that you have far fewer problems with suspended particles in the water.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Apprentice
    Thanks
    Carmie,
    Could you explain more about the biofilm? I think I might get what you mean, but I'm not sure. What do you use as far as filtration in your 24 besides the rock and sand?

Buddy

Apprentice
    Thanks
    Hi All,
    Here is a few pictures. 1st a couple of Six...hes cool.

The Zoanthids look so much happier being closer to the sun... ;-)

A new macro algae I got on my last reefcleaners order.

Here is a shot of the lime green algae I hope is coraline. I hear it comes in all colors.

Other than moving my rocks around some more and getting a couple more frags & fish the only thing I'm still worried about is the filtration. I would like to run both Accela pumps at once instead of in wavemaker mode, but my media basket restricts the flow too much. The pump chambers practically run out of water causing a million micro bubbles.....even with the media freshly replaced and the tank topped off. If I was to put any more water in the tank it would overflow the main display section. Like I think I said before, I have the stock sponge, floss, and Chemi-Pure in the media basket. I need to change something.

Gobby
    Last edited by Gobby; 11-18-2010 at 05:37 PM. Reason: pictures didn't take.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Another Koralia? My personal issue is too much flow going through my sump (yeah, I know it's still technically a wet dry until I finish getting the bioballs out) to turn it into a fuge. I know it's a different animal, but it's similar. If you increase the flow in the tank, then the Accela pumps in wave maker mode will be fine and the pump chambers will be adequate. Or, you could mod it. There are tonnes of different mods for that tank out there. Another koralia would be the easiest solution I think. As far as mine goes, If I build a bigger sump and change pretty much my entire plumbing layout, then a fuge will be in my future. I don't use a sponge (from what I gather, most of us don't) because of the nitrate issues, but if you're not having nitrate issues, and your parameters are staying good, I wouldn't change much.

Apprentice
    Thanks
    I have the upgraded media basket from StevieT over at InTank. It fills up more of the center chamber then the stock one does. I have two pumps in the tank for flow (circulation....one is a Koralia, the other a powerhead), but what I mean is that as my Accela pumps return the water to the tank from the sump, the water feeding down through the media basket is restricted. It actually will overflow over into the adjacent chambers without getting filtered. When the media is freshly cleaned it still is at the very top of the basket and close to overflow. So if I wanted to run both pumps all the time (the Accelas), my pump chambers run almost dry and throw out micro bubbles. I have read that some folks like to run both pumps full time for the flow. I don't need to though, you are right there. I have plenty of flow. What I really want is for my media basket to handle the water presented to it. I want to have that crystal clear water I see everyone else has. I see to many particles floating around.

Gobby

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I'm not sure how to do it with your setup, but as my water dumps into my sump, I have a 100 micron filter pad laid out under the inlet pipes (I have no idea how your sump is setup, maybe mod it to flow through a filter sock?) and it keeps my water pretty clear (except when my Bullet Goby spits sand into the water column!) You may be able to move most of your mechanical filtration down to your sump, and free up your media basket? Maybe build something out of egg crate?
    -Mike

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information