Thread: Tang Sleeping Habits

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks

Tang Sleeping Habits

Ok, so I am guessing the tangs I bought are very young, say 3 to 5 inches long. The I found the pacific blue laying on the backside of a rock SLEEPING. Freaked me out this morning. I have come home and he is hanging behind a rock on the other side of the tank. The yellow is swimming happily in and out of the rocks and holes. Still hiding to some extent. The coral beauty is hiding with the blue. I fed mysis this morning and the blue came out to eat. The yellow and beauty did a little, but not as much. Both ate yesterday at the store no problem. But I am guessing the hiding/sleeping behavoir is normal for this size tang?
    DSCN0476.JPG
    PapaMcEuin
    Family Reefer

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Newly introduced fish behavior can seem strange to us humans. If the lights are on we expect them to be up and about. That’s not always the case. You have to realize the journey they’ve been on to reach your LFS is one fraught with fear and uncertainty, total loss of bearings, crowded conditions, swimming in an enclosed container (plastic bag) laden with their own urine and feces, tossed around by baggage handlers, dumped into strange holding systems of dubious adequacy or condition. All this to just the first holding system. Then bagged again to begin the second part of the journey, to a US holding facility. Then grabbed, bagged again to finally make it to your LFS who then grabs and bags it to go home to your glass box. All of this is foreign to them. Is it any wonder that they act a little strange the first few days???

To me, it’s a wonder that any make it alive. Reality is, many do not survive the rigors of capture and transport to their final destination. Those that are lucky are in a state of shock. Their condition is not always evident to the Newbie’s untrained human eye. Then you put them into your glass box of artificial sea water with full expectations of them settling in and acting normal.

Granted, we have come a long way from the 1960s when i started in SW.

Your fish are acting normal as long as there aren’t any other symptoms showing their ugly face, like heavy breathing or scratching.

Many people have benefited from reading my article, “Nine Simple rules” on how to buy healthy fish and keep them healthy. You can find it here - “Nine Simple rules”

Even if you’ve read it, it’s good to review it often because the human mind gets crowded with daily stuff and we tend to forget what’s important.

Relax and enjoy.

Dick
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Thanks
    I housed a Regal for four years and I would still find her from time to time laying flat under a rock appearing to be dead. She was in fact fine but needed a rest just like us humans. Offer a variety of foods several times a day as tangs are very hardy eaters and keep nori clipped in the tank for grazing.
    Was the blue introduced by itself or with other new additions?

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    first in the tank along with a coral beauty and yellow tang. All relatively small but roughly the same size (lengthwise). They are all hiding out together with no issues right now.... The blue though has its favorite sleeping spot as I found it this morning laying on the back side of the same rock. I did feed some seaweed stuff (said it was "brown seaweed" but actually is purple in color"). Strip of about 3 inches wide and 2 inches long that I broke off. I put it in before we ran out the door last night and camp back 3 hours later and it was all gone. They have been eating mysis at the LFS. So far, only the yellow actually ventures out when we are there. But still all are moving around fine as of this morning. Just found it perplexing to see a fish of this type laying down to sleep. The body structure does not lead you to think they would do that like say a goby for example.
    PapaMcEuin
    Family Reefer

Thread Information