Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New marine tank for a newbie to the hobbie

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    i did have a snail but my hermit crab killed it within a day of putting it in there. =(

Thanks
    Agree with Rostr02 ....

As boring as it seems, you build your bio system up from the sand out. By that I mean critters first, the snails, crabs, later shrimp (2-3 peppermint shrimp kill aptasia). Don't go piling in 2 per gallon like the LFS wants to sell you tommorrow.

Add cerith snails at half the suggested amount. then be sure to acclimate them very well. That process can be done either in a QT ( Quarantine Tank ) or by drip method. If you don't have a Quarantine Tank... Make that your next purchase - not fish.

Cerith snails are your best snail regardless of what your LFS may have in stock. They serve duel purpose and can be mail ordered from web sites if you cannot get them at your LFS. Try to keep them alive a month or two while you build your QT. After that you can start to add herbivore fish to your tank. Keeping in mind that every addition adds stress to the bio system, you should allow a few weeks to a month between additions.
    Matt Colson

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 10-6
    See you in 2012

Thanks
    Amphibious wrote this...

"Nine Simple Rules", continued...

7. Quarantine. One of the most important steps to success, quarantining, is too often ignored. How careless. How wasteful. How expensive. How cruel. How stupid! Every new fish, coral, invertebrate and bag of macro algae we bring to our display tank carries the seeds for disaster. Why would you not quarantine??? MONEY, you say. I can’t afford a second tank, you say. I don’t have the room, you say. The best one I‘ve heard, my wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend won’t let me have another tank. Get out of the hobby!!! Just kidding. It’s your job to explain why a quarantine tank is so important. If you are a kid living at home with Mom and/or Dad, hopefully both, it’s a little tougher to convince them. Print out this article and let them read it. Then whine, cry, and throw tantrums until you get your way. Just kidding!!! It worked for me, back when I was nine years old.

If you follow the above procedures in making your purchases, you will seldom, maybe never, medicate your quarantine tank. What??? Would you repeat that, please??? No, just reread it. Well then what is a quarantine system used for if not to medicate new arrivals??? Good question. I’m glad you asked. It shows you are listening or reading, which ever the case may be. In my experience, following my “Nine Simple Rules to Buying Fish”, you will seldom have a need to medicate the quarantined individual. The quarantine system should rather be designated a “Health Spa”. Becoming proficient at picking fish in good but weakened condition, the function of your “Spa” QT system is to give them a place of relaxation with abundant food and time to heal the stress induced weakened condition. A place to renew. Once renewed, it’s an easy transfer to the main display tank, where your now healthy and robust new arrival can assimilate into the hierarchy of his new home without undue stress. He will eagerly eat at the first opportunity.

8. The transition from “Spa” to Display Tank. There are many ways to do this. The most important thing to remember is the “Spa” water and the display tank (DT) water are different enough that you want to take the same precaution as if you just brought him home from the LFS. There’s no need to bag and acclimate him in that fashion if you are prepared. Here’s my way.
    Time your transfer to DT with a water change. Have newly mixed saltwater ready a day before. Siphon out about 1/3 of the water in the Spa tank and discard. Siphon off water from the DT and replace the Spa water. Wait 15 minutes. While waiting, replace DT water with new. Repeat this action until most of the Spa water is replaced with DT water. Top off DT with new water, transfer fish via net, plastic container or bag, which ever works best for you. Nets are not the preferred method because you risk injuring the fish during the transfer. I use a plastic beer pitcher, emptied and rinsed first of course.
    It's an excerpt from the "Nine Simple Rules to Buying Fish" post available to read here under general discussion.

I know it's a pain to think "I just got the really cool Aquarium and now you tell me I need another one??!!!"

But if you haven't read that post please do, it will all make sense. and a QT is really not that expensive compared to the amount of money you could loose not having one. Livestock gets expensive, we want to keep our stuff alive as long as possible.

/rant
    Last edited by mpcolson; 09-13-2010 at 09:10 PM.
    Matt Colson

See you in 2012

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Check this out http://www.reefcleaners.org/

Best prices on snails and macro algae I could find. Not to mention great service and fast shipping, got alot more snails than what I paid for.

Bobby

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Yippee! +1 on some snails. Here is a good article http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic23945-9-1.aspx

When you go to add fish I recommend you buy ones you want for the long haul, not some starter fish that you will want out of your tank 6 weeks later. It is too hard to tear the rockwork apart to get them out!

Reefcleaners is great. I met John in person at MACNA this year but I have been buying from them for 2 or 3 years. But, as much as I like them, I don't think they will ship to you in OZ.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    the first critters are a clean up crew. Snails, hermits, brittle star. Watch ammonias again to make sure they do alright. Do you have any ideas of what fish? You will be limited with a 20g and want to stay on the passive side. That small tank any more aggressive fish won't want any friends.
    PapaMcEuin
    Family Reefer

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Wow, I really need to pay more attention to where people live before I recommend websites.

Well at least everyone here in the US can use them. I talked to john on the phone a few times, he is a great guy and very knowledgeable.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    yeah they don't internationally ship. With those prices would be worth moving over there for them. So cheap compared to any prices here. Found a few places in Aus that do the snails. as all the LFS do is Turbo snails. Which don't seem to be recommended so going to get some shipped. I have also put the coral back in my tank as my mate could no longer hold it (i know not recommended but was a must) it is loving it in there now. after reading all that i am also going to have a quarantine tank. I am thinking a pair of clowns and maybe an angel. going to see what i can do about other snails and clean up crew.

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    careful the sizes. What angel you talking about? May get tight in there....
    PapaMcEuin
    Family Reefer

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I would watch with angels in a tank that size. Check out the purple pseudochromis, I love these fish. Bright color and stays small.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-12/fish/index.php

Thanks
    There are very few dwarf Angels you can have in a small tank. And I think you must have a tank at least 30 gallons for the few options available.

Of those few I am afraid they all have a tendency to nip coral polyps. I have a Coral Beauty in my tank but I have a 55gal. As I recall, my options were the Coral Beauty, Flame Angel and, Pygmy Angel. Also you can only have ONE or they will fight. The aquarium is only big enough for a SINGLE angel fish! ha ha ha!

You may want to review that information. I love that Coral Beauty, it looks like crushed velvet under my lights in the tank. And it is always busy doing something. My favorite fish.
    Matt Colson

See you in 2012

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information