Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: my 14 gallon biocube

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    That is great! I agree that bigger is better!
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    im going to be starting a thread on my 50 build (as soon as i figure out how) currently the equipment will be as follows:

reef octopus 110
    50lbs of dry rock
    1lb of live rock + rock from my nano
    vortech mp40wES
    diy bio pellet reactor
    24 led kit w fans and diy fixture (leds from rapid led.com)
    my currently still unfinished sump
    filter sponge
    nano koralia (incase of dead spots)
    activated carbon
    and thats it so far.

i have not ordered these things yet because i need to save up some money and i will be getting a job over the summer so hopefully that will help as for my nano it will become one of 3 things A. a separate grow tank for pods and will be hooked up to my sump or B. a tank for my brother or C. a frag tank (probably not). one more thing if anyone knows where to by a nice 50gallon with an corner overflow let me know. also if there is anyone in florida who knows how to set up leds just send me an e-mail at elazar12345@aol.com (very original) there will be a nice payment.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    if you haven't bought the tank yet, I'd go for something bigger. 90 or 100+. Bigger is easier to maintain, and you can get by with less expensive hardware if you are willing to put in a little more elbow grease. LED's, though the wave of the future, are still a little expensive for me, but there isn't a coral in the hobby that won't thrive under T5's, so keep that in mind when budgeting this out. I'm using an 80 dollar 4 bulb T5 fixture and I have Acro's growing rampant with stunning purples and greens! I like the Koralia Nano idea, I have one blowing through the back of my rock work. I'm not a big fan of the filter sponge, when I pulled mine out my nitrate problem went away.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    ^^What he said!^^

In addition to using a K-nano to circulate behind the rockwork, you will either want to invest in a closed loop system of add at least 2 bigger powerheads.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    He had listed the MP40, and I assume he meant 2. I really think that would cause a little too much current, even ramped all the way down, 2 MP40's will push 2,000 gallons per hour... in a 50, that's like tsunami type current, and pulse mode will push half the water out of the tank with a quickness. I was thinking about a couple MP10's for my 90, and I'll stave off the MP40's until I get a 6 foot long DT. At the moment, I have a couple Koralia 750's in my 90, and if I don't angle them just right after cleaning them, all of my LPS and softies look like an emo teenager. I have another tank with a Koralia 1400 and a K-550, but it's a fish only tank and I don't have to worry about corals or inverts. My DT has a very slow turnover from the sump because I like the water to have plenty of processed time, with 2 jets that dump about 200gph back into the tank, then the 2 K-750's and the Kn-425 my circulation is adequate for my acro's and not too powerful for my LPS and softies, it's all just a big game of coral placement from there. If you cut back on your expenses with the lights and power heads, you will be able to get a bigger DT (wouldn't you like to keep tangs without killing them slowly?) and most importantly, a bigger skimmer! Down in central FL, I routinely see 120 - 300 gallon tanks on craigslist for very low prices (sometimes they just want somebody to come take them away!) because people get into the hobby without properly researching, they ignore advice of experienced reefers, then they get frustrated and quit. Their loss could be your gain!

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    well i only meant one mp40 and one koralia, an mp40 is enough flow for a 90 gallon. i would do a 90 gallon but it is to big and would be more expensive to light with leds. also leds from rapid led.com are more affordable than a t5 and is much prettier. the downside is that i have to build the fixture and attach the lights myself

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Do what you do, I just can't justify the extra expense of LED's after seeing so many reefers drop their jaw when they see what is under the hood, and find out how much control I actually have over the fixture itself. IMO the single MP40 is going to create too much of a unidirectional flow. If you want to spend that kind of dough, 2 MP10's would be more than enough for a 90, but 2 Koralia 750's cost me around 40 bucks, them and the Kn-425 is all my 90 needs. I don't get to brag about how much my equipment costs, I'm not a rich man and I make due with what I can build or find on sale, but my corals and fish look just as good as Melev's, and Old Schoolers tend to appreciate my rig a little more than the big baller systems, so I'm pretty happy with it.

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    well vortechs have a few different modes of flow. and the price for the leds for a 55 gallon is 230$ plus it comes with 2 dimmable drivers

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I know all about the Vortech's different modes of flow, but that doesn't make not be on one side of the tank. 2 smaller pumps, one on either side, will give you better chaotic flow than one pump. I personally can't spend 400 bucks on a pump when all I need is 50 bucks worth of Koralias. Most 55 gallon tanks are 48" wide, just like my 90, and the fixture I have can dim the first and second battery of bulbs and the moon lights independently, all three are on their own timers and It came in a nice little rack with hinged legs and cooling fans, for 80 bucks. I understand about having the Kool New thing, but my point is that you can spend your money on more important things and still give your tank inhabitants all they need and more. Do whatever you want, it's your tank, and your build, just don't jump in without researching everything first, that's how reefs die and people quit the hobby.

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    the whole thing is 80 bucks? hmm what kind of growth rate do u get in your tank? i also think ill just get an mp10 and 2 nano koralias and eventually when i get a 90 ill upgrade. i will definitely consider the t5 where did u get yours? if the t5 is good then hey why go with leds if its more expensive and hard to build.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hey E, a K-nano will be lost in a 90 except to keep detritus from collecting behind the rockwork. I have one in my NC24 and it is not enough flow for that little tank.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    i think there is some confusion here, i am not doing a 90 i cannot afford it i will be doing a 50-55. also the purpose of the k-nano is to hit dead spots that my vortech mp10 or 40 might leave. just to clear that all up

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The k-nano should be ok if you are just using it behind a section of rocks to prevent detritus from settling. I do not believe that they would have the force to move water the length of a 48" tank. If you have dual returns you might be ok with one Vortech. If it was my tank though I'd rather have the security of at least 2 power heads that can push water the length of the tank. In my 54 I have 2 k-2' s, a small power head behind the rock work and a 500 gph return.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    if i had a 300gph overflow what gph return would i need?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    This one isn't exactly like mine, but it's close. I'll keep looking but my guess is that finding the same fixture at the same price, years later, is gonna be a toughy. http://www.aquatraders.com/Odyssea-4...le-p/52305.htm

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I could show you how to wire in rheostats to make them dimmable.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mine say dimmable on the ballasts though, so I'll have to check on that.

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    oh thanks Rock.

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    hey rock i had an idea i think i should combine leds with t5s in the same fixture. what lights would i need and how would this be done?

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    yeah im sorry my mind is still on leds but i think it would be a neat project with serious benefits. plus if it does not work out i could always switch to just t5s. also i think it would help me in the future because it would teach me about soldering and wiring, which i need to know for future projects.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I'll do some searches on some T5 kits. I'll look for Moonlights too, they don't provide a benefit to the corals, but they make some of them look bad ass at night, and they give a nice, unobtrusive light for nighttime viewing.

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    that would be so cool thank you so much for helping me!

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    btw i still need to know about the gph

Thanks
    The distance between the pump and the top of the tank is called the "head height". You can google most brands and see which pumps push 300 GPH at whatever height you want and shop accordingly. Just remember that saving cash now could cost you more in the future. Look for a reputable brand and shop around a little. Maybe start a new thread on what pumps people prefer and get a few opinions before making a choice.

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    alright thanks salty

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread Information