Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: my 14 gallon biocube

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    i finally killed the anemone. i gave it a double dose of lemon juice and boiling water i used a hypodermic needle into its face and into its main body it retracted into its hole and i have yet to see it i will get rid of the remains s soon as i can. plus the coral banded is still doing nothing its just sitting in the same spot eating what seems like nothing ill continue my watch.

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    ok bad news. my anemone came back so i hit it with boiling lemon juice water and lemon juice. and my branching monti has slow tissue necroses so i removed the dying part and reglued it to a plug i hope it dos not die i kinda liked it. the little frag of it is doing ok so im not sure y its dying.

Thanks
    I've never had to deal with RTN before but from what I read, once it starts it's extremely hard to stop. I believe RTN looks like the flesh is sliding off and exposing the skeleton. Is this what yours looks like? Or is it possible that it's an infection or getting picked at from another tankmate. Pics would be most helpfull. Can you tell us specifically what your water params are? How much lemon juice did you use? A water change may not be a bad idea.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    yeah. I would suggest a water change. How often do you do water changes?

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    i have ben doing water changes once a week but i had tons of work and fcats this week so i have been to busy ill probably do one tomorrow or sunday. the thing is that no other corals are affected i removed the rtning part and i had fragged a branch of it and those parts that are left are doing fine, its just the big middle piece thats dying. i glued the middle piece to a frag plug and moved it into a shady lower flow spot. there were no other corals near it and if the lemon juice was the problem it would have defeated the sith lord (i have injected him 4 times with boiling water and lemon juice still nothing except minor damage) and destroyed the whole coral. ill try to post pics by sunday. also im adding some more soft corals (sps does not do it for me) any suggestions?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I like Hammers, FrogSpawn and Torches. One of my favorite animals is the Elegance and I have a few Candy Canes that I enjoy. I also like my Galaxia, but he tends to kill other corals a lot, and the sweepers extend over a foot, so he's pretty difficult to position.

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    Maybe u don't have enough flow sps need a higher random flow then the softies and lps do. also i would suggest adding some more rock to help filter your water before u add any more coral.

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    well more rock would be nice i may get some sunday, but i also have a deep sand bed and i have a mini fuge in the back, plus a sponge filter so i have pretty good filtration going on its like 90% bio and 10% mechanical. with the addition of the super fuge it will boost my filter so im not to worried. as for flow i actually think i have to much. rock good suggestions i love hammer and frog spawn.

Thanks
    How does the monti look now?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I am also an advocate of the more rock the better... I have more than 2 lbs per gallon for my system volume (and I am slowly adding rock to my fuge to get it up there before I connect the systems.) LR is also really important because it gives the micro critters a place to hide out from all of the larger critters. They are really important for your reef. Don't worry about it cutting down on space for your fish and inverts, it actually makes them happier because they can hang out in caves and ravines, just like in the wild. It's also a great shelving system for your corals, you can use it to stick your acros in higher flow and better lit spots.

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    the monti is not doing well and the frags of it are also rtning and now my acro is stning. i believe its because of the constant salinity changes due to evaporation so i think the sump/fuge will help and im cutting an acrylic top for the tank. the other corals are unaffected by whatever is bothering the sps, so i think ill stay away from sps for a while.

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    small update. my main monti branch is gone, however the acropora and remaining monti pieces have stopped their stn! i think it was due to lack of flow i moved them to higher flow area and they may come back not sure yet

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    another update. my tank is doing fine except for a few problems. problem 1. my pump broke it is pumping to much water into the display and emptying out the third chamber causing it to shoot bubbles into the tank. problem 2. i noticed some little jellyfish in the tank. i used to have them before but they died off, and now they are back. before i did not have too many fish or corals so they did not bother anything in their polyp or full grown form but now they might. now for some good news. i got cespitularia and pom pom xenia and they are doing well. my coral banded is behaving except for today when he tried to eat a flipped over snail. and the stn is reversing allot for the monti and a little for the acrpora. and thats about it for now.

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    i have good news. oceanic is sending me a replacement and it will be here in the next few days

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    That is great that they are sending you a replacement. I would guess that you might not have enough light for the high light types of coral like acropora.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    i was thinking that but i saw other tanks with vipers (also nanos) and they have nice sps perhaps its my water or perhaps they have stronger wattage lamps. ill try moving it up higher

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    this is just a little post to wish everyone a Happy passover and happy easter.

ps. i want to start another thread for holiday fts how do i do that?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by E the gorgonian hunter View Post
    this is just a little post to wish everyone a Happy passover and happy easter.

ps. i want to start another thread for holiday fts how do i do that?
    Go the the Discussion Lounge and click on post new thread.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    it says the discussion lounge is not for aquarium related things.

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    im thinking of taking down the cube and quitting its becoming to hard and to expensive to take care of

Thanks
    Hope you stick with it. The initial cost of set up and upgrades is the expensive part. You seem to have a good setup going. A little time and TLC will turn the cube into something really cool.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    it says the discussion lounge is not for aquarium related things.
    Oops, missed the fts bit. But the same procedure holds, just in the Show Us Your... forum.

im thinking of taking down the cube and quitting its becoming to hard and to expensive to take care of
    Don't give up! You have a good start and it will continue to get easier as you gain more experience.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    well the problem with my cube right now is that the 3rd chamber drains to fast. i think there may be a something blocking the drain in the first chamber. if i cant find the block i think ill just cut away part of the wall.

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    hey guys i have awesome news! school is almost over and im going to be starting my 50 gallon woohoo. im going to be using leds i would use rapid led but i dont know how to put the stuff together if aneyone could guide me thru that would be super and a money saver. also any suggestions on filtration (im going to build a sump and have biopellets) all advice is apreciated.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The only advice I can give without knowing more information is "Go Larger" Bigger is easier. My next tank isn't going to be smaller than 100 gallons. The 40 breeder that I am going to set up for my Daughter will have a 75 gallon sump. The bigger tanks are just easier to deal with. Realistically anything under 6 foot long is also a little too limiting if you like Tangs (they pretty much ALL need at least a 6 foot long tank) and don't go cheap at the beginning. If you go cheap at the gate, you will spend two or three times more money in the long run. It's better to save up, delay the project if you have to, and buy the good equipment at the beginning, you'll end up getting it anyway.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread Information