Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: my 14 gallon biocube

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    well i installed the viper today and it was amazing my corals opened up so well especially my kenya frag. i did however reduce the amount of time the lights are on to 4 hours. is that ok? one of the two things i dont like is that the light gets super hot really fast so i might get cooling fans and the second thing is that there is no blue light so the corals dont get any other light for the rest of the day.
    Last edited by E the gorgonian hunter; 03-27-2011 at 09:57 AM.

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    i got some new corals finally saved up. the corals are a verde acropora which i drip acclimated and a acan and a red mushroom i went back to check on the corals and was very surprised at the acro's polyp expansion it was not as expanded at barrier reef and the polyps are brown but turning a neon green its really cool also the acan an mushroom are doing better in my tank than at the store so far ummm my anemone is getting bigger i might accidentally stab it in the center with a syringe that has lemon juice in it but well see im hoping all the corals do well. my branching monti is plating some more on the base so im going to frag that and some of the acro later anyone have any fragging tips?

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    here are the corals
    the branching monti
    verde acropora
    ricordea (i moved it didn't like the light)
    red mushroom
    my favorite frogspawn which exploded under these lights.
    the acan (not puffed yet but getting there)

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    here is the kenya (these were the size of paperclips when i got em)
    here is my chalice
    here is my mutant anemone
    here is my hawk fish
    here are my zoas
    here are my lights

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    the only thing i forgot to mention is that some of these colors are not showing up in the pictures the verde is more blue and the frogspawn is more pink on the tips and the anemone is neon blue at the tips and the chalice is more read and the acan is less orange and bright

Thanks
    Looking good. A bit more landscape might not be a bad thing to look into. Gives you more places to put corals and is a large factor in the biological filtration. You might want to do a little homework on the anemone. They can be a real pain. The light looks good also. The trees ,when they get big will pinch off tips and spread all over the place. You may want to prune them when they get huge to remove pieces before they attach to hard to reach places.

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    yea i do need better landscape but im on a serious budget cut. heres a full pic of the landscape now

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    bob and i are almost done working on the fuge. it is going to be in a big tank i had sitting around im not sure how many gallons it is but it seems pretty big. i might also use it as a future soft coral frag tank as well, by setting up the biocube lights over it. and thats just the update for now.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The fuge sounds good. I think it looks like you need some more rock. If your budget is tight I'd add some base rock which over time will become live.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    hmm sounds like a good idea

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    marco rocks sells dry rock at reasonable prices. i've ordered from there a few times and was never dissapointed.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I am always impressed with Marco Rocks. I would soak them for a couple days in a bin of RO water with a circulating pump to help make sure they are free of debris that could cause a mini cycle before adding them to your tank.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    well the rock isn't such an emergency but i am building an diy auto top off using an air pump, airline tubing, 1g bottle, and float switch i heard controversy over the float switch but ill do it anyhow, but i will cover the wires in air line tubing here is the link how would i do the wires?

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    i am freaking. i found 2 rust flatworms on the glass today i feel a breakout disaster happening how do i kill them i heard coral banded shrimp eat them and sixline wrasses to ill try it

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Banded Coral Shrimps will also go after all of your other inverts too... Possibly. I had one that was a direct descendant of Darth Vader and Paul Atreides. He killed every invert in my 90 gal tank and even picked apart all of my starfish. Six lines will also tend toward the dark side. I know people who have had nice ones, but by and large I hear about them harassing other wrasses and even fish of other ilk (like that hawk fish). If you can catch out your inverts, using interceptor is widely recommended. I doubt that none have been introduced into my system, but I definitely have enough Acro's that I would see problems if they were rampant. I assume my fairy wrasses are culling them back, but I have never actively tried to remove anything like them from my system.

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    so i got the coral banded but i got the gold one (it was on sale and they didnt have the normal one) they said the gold coral banded is friendlier and it is also small so ill see how it goes

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Honestly, in a 14gal, it won't be difficult to catch him if he becomes a menace. In a 90 with 150lbs of LR, it was a nightmare.

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    he dosnt seem so bad he actually looks nice

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I felt the same way. It actually took months for him to get aggressive, then I would not see one invert or another, then another... then I saw him eating one, then I saw him dart out of the shadows and rip a cleaner shrimp to pieces. He also got my Catalina Goby, but she was never gonna last long in my 82 degrees fahrenheit reef anyway... she was probly already fading, which is why he could catch her in the first place. I have learned, the hard way, to research everything before adding it to my tank.

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    i spent all day and 3 hours yesterday and it was the best choice for me the other option was interceptor but it would kill my pod population (which i just got back) and also when flatworms die they are toxic and i dont have a skimmer pluss its a tiny tank. tiny tank + no skimmer + dead flatworms = dead tank and frustration. (i knew i should never have gotten the biocube)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    They certainly are more difficult than the big tanks. Carmie and Salty are some of the most long term successful Nano Keepers I know. Bigger tanks are much easier to deal with. The perams are less bouncy and we have many more options for problem solutions. Nano's are beautiful tanks, but so twitchy.

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    yea thats why when the construction is done on my room im going to upgrade to 50 or build a 90

Thanks
    I may be wrong here...but wouldn't the worm release it's toxins while being pulled apart and eaten? Either way...water changes are the most important factor to a nano. Do you run carbon? Keep some new water handy just incase. Even if the shrimp doesn't work and you have to medicate, I bet you'll get through it. I haven't run a skimmer for some time now and had my frustrating moments along the way but overcoming those obstacles make me appreciate my nano that much more.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Honestly, I don't worry about the rust colored flatworms. They wax and wane but as far as I can tell never have hurt anything.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    well thats pretty comforting carmie thanks. =)

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread Information