Thread: Best place to order Live Rock

Curious Reefer
    Thanks

Best place to order Live Rock ???

I am ready to get get some live rock for a new tank that I have been working on and I have been looking at several places online. I was wondering if anyone could refer a good place to order from and who has the best bang for the buck. I am also concerned with the heat here in Texas ,,100 plus for a couple of weeks, so I am also concerned about their shipping practices because I would like to keep as much living on the rock as possible. Has anyone had any of the cultured Florida rock? I found this place just searching around. www.justliverock.com

Thanks
    you can get dry rock here and the seed it with some Live rock from you local fish store that what i did and it saved me alot of money. http://www.marcorocks.com/ Picture atached of what it looks like. It will be white for a while but it will turn over time

Thanks
    I've used several online vendors. I bought 50 lbs from Fosters and Smith. It was completely dry and wrapped in dry news paper (though to give them credit, when I complained they credited me the full amount for the rock, and let me keep it as well). The most incredible rock I've purchased came from Tampa Bay Saltwater. It was expensive, but it was shipped in water, and the diversity of life on it was incredible (though it does come with some bad hitch hikers. I removed 10 or so gorilla crabs in the 50 lbs I bought). The other thing I disliked about this rock was its density. It isn't very porous. I also purchased base rock from Marcos Rock. If its a new tank this rock is fantastic. Very porous and comparatively cheap. If I were starting a new tank, I would use a combination of Marco and Tampa Bay Saltwater rock. This combination would be economical, as well as ascetically pleasing, in my opinion.

Thanks
    Lol Yes Foster and smith isn't that great I actually have some in my tank its the very dense stuff on the bottom to the right in the picture i posted. It wasn't dry when i got it but it was very dense

Thanks
    (This is a cut and paste from another post I just did complaining about Justliverock.com. It fits for this thread as well.)

I tried to order from www.justliverock.com but I did the inquiry test. I to got no response from email or answer to voice mail in a prompt timetable.

I am from Florida and I wanted to go with a home grown company. I decided against it. Nice website with nothing in brick and motar to support them.

Try http://www.livestockusa.org/index.html instead.

Either Mitch or his partner will answer or call you that day and you get the Liverock staight from the reef.

I bought the Bali Alor and it was very nice. You just have to work within the shipping calendars so you get it on Monday or Tuesday depending on when they get permits to release the LR from the various port authorities.
    Matt Colson

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 10-6
    See you in 2012

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The best rock I EVER bought was from marco rocks. It is dried rock but is very light with a lot of little nooks and crannies. I know carmie likes marco rocks as well. She is the one that told me about it, so glad she did. And don't worry about it being dried it will colonize and color up very well.

Bobby

Thread Information