Thread: Light Decision

Curious Reefer
    Thanks

Light Decision

Hello gang I am in need of some help with my lights. I came home tonight to find my ballast and lights flickering off an on. Then with a view of smoke coming from my ballast with a lovely smell of burnt wires. Well to my pleasure I find my ballast burnt out and took my lights with it. Now I have been running VHO's for about 8 years on this Icecap 660. It has been great and I got my money out of them.

However, this leaves me in a bit of a pickel. What do I do know? Should I just buy a new ballast and wiring system and re-install the VHO's? Or should I take this time to switch to a different lighting system like T5's or MH? Money is an issue so I am trying to keep the cost down and could really use some good advice, which is why I am turing to you all. It has to be a retro fit because I have a canopy. The current running time on my VHO's has been 8 hours a day. The bulb set up I had was 2x Super Atinic 2x AquaSun. If I go with a T5 set up how many bulbs should I use and what types? With the old set up I could only fit 4 VHO bulbs in my conapy. Would switching to T5's allow me more room? If I ran more than 4 lamps would I have to have a 2nd ballast?

I could really use some help. I am sure I will have more questions once you guys respond.

Thank you

Atlantus

Tank standard 75 gallon all glass

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I imagine that a new ballast would be the most economical way to go. But I am not a lighting expert so this will your post to get some more in depth advice.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Crispy Reef Monkey **MOD** Phurst's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    You should check with IceCap. I believe they do pretty economical repairs on their ballasts.
    **KEEP ME AWAY FROM SUPER GLUE ... i tend to glue my lips shut !!**

Thanks
    I posted a thread about lighting decisions but didnt get much of a response. I have similar questions. Im setting up a new 90 gallon. I have soft coral but would like clams n carpet or Bta? should i do MH or t5 HO? We were thInking of eliminating the hood and im on a slight budget. Any suggestions?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I'm sorry I missed your other thread. My personal preference is towards MH lighting, particularly if you have an eye towards keeping a clam or an anemone. Depending on your choices of either, you could very well end up with a creature with a very high light demand down at the very bottom of your tank. MH seems to have better depth penetration. The buy-in is about the same for both, and bulb replacement runs about the same for both. You may save some money in electrical costs, but it will depend on what wattage MH you are pitting against how many and what size T5s. a watt consumed is a watt consumed, regardless of what kind of light it is

Thanks
    Thank you for your advice, i know there are a lot of posts to sort threw. I found a pendant mh on foster n smith for 199 reg 399 n it fits my decore. Maybe ill go with that choice.

Thanks
    http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...7&pcatid=12777 can u tell me if this would be in the general area of where i need to be? Im MH retarded.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I really like the fixture, but 70w is not going to be nearly enough. I would recommend a 250w setup for clams and anemones in a 90. Do you need a freestanding fixture, or do you have a canopy you can use a retrofit kit in?

Thanks
    have a canopy but my husband wants to 86 it. I disagree but I guess a free standing fixture untill i win the canopy battle. I was forfitting the canopy to win the dsb battle. Lol! Im the one who takes care of the tank hes my investor. Hehe

Thread Information