Thread: Tankmates for Yellow tang

Thanks

Tankmates for Yellow tang

I am trying to find suitable tank-mates for my juvenile yellow tang. I was thinking of maybe a couple of yellow-headed jaw-fishes. Does anyone have any suggestions on fishes that would be compatible with my juvenile yellow tang? Just to let you know it is in a 55 gallon tank by itself right now.

Crispy Reef Monkey **MOD** Phurst's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Just about any "community" reef safe fish will be fine. The only thing I would expect trouble from would be another tang. a 55 is definitely not ideal for even a juvi tang though, so adding another would be a definite no no.
    **KEEP ME AWAY FROM SUPER GLUE ... i tend to glue my lips shut !!**

Thanks
    Maybe a Coral Beauty Angelfish. Cost about $25.00 USD around here, lots of color. One Tang and One Angelfish per tank that size is all you should do. You don't want a turf war.

Then look at Wrasses, very colorful and extremely wide variety to chose from. I like Baggai Cardinal Fish, Boring colorwise but nifty in a school. (see one pictured in the column left)

Chromis are the nicer side of Damsels. They are hardy and cheap. Usually onhand at any LFS. Blue-green Chromis are like $7.00. There is a Blue Chromis that is a rich indigo blue it's a bit more money, I see it online now for $24.00. These are schooling fish so I like to get 3 at a time, they dart around in the live rock and stay active.

Damsels are simular to Chromis but I don't like them as much. They tend to get pissy and fight in time. But they are also readily availble at any LFS and cheap schooling fish. I once had a dominoe Damsel they would "pop" his jaw at night. I swear it sounded like a cap gun going off! I had to get rid of him.

Don't forget the clownfish! you hafta have the clownfish!

Anyway I just gave you a copy of my livestock list when my tank finishes cycling. Less a few clown gobbies and a jawfish or two.

Have fun with it. Take your time. And make it your own....
    Matt Colson

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 10-6
    See you in 2012

Thread Information