Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Store Coming!!!!

Thanks
    hear hear!!
    we are all on the long road to our dream tanks, im going slow and enjoying the journey!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Are-Jay View Post
    One piece of wrong information can loose a hobbiest for life!
    I couldn't agree more. Had I not taken the time to research with books and this website I would have taken that clerk's advise and eventually found that she was wrong.

For all the money I will eventually invest in this tank in hardware and livestock, I'm sure I would have been disgusted and all this equipment would be on craigslist.

Not good

Of course a new business may not hire an employee right away, it's not always the best way to spend your limited capital. But if you do and they have an entrance exam I beleive you have a great plan.

I have been in telecommunication sales for over 25 years and I have found the best approach is to know your product line. If you are unsure NEVER guess....research the item. It's allways served me well. I have customers that still call me with return business years after the first sale. Not to mention the refferal business.

Good Luck to you my friend!
    Matt Colson

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 10-6
    See you in 2012

Thanks
    if you dont know what kind of questions to ask, i bet the group on here can come up with a sheet or nine. i would ask things like recommended salinity level, how long to wait after initial start-up before adding livestock. id try to keep it a short answer type question. ive been thinking of doing this for years, but there is no market here, and an abundance of stores in mi. you may also think of asking for a history in marine aquatics. you dont wanna hire someone thats had goldfish for a week as much as the guy with a ten year stretch with the same tank and no major die off. sorry to take over, this is exciting for me!
    we are all on the long road to our dream tanks, im going slow and enjoying the journey!

Thanks
    I already have a 25 question test made up. Multiple choice covering water parameters, species ID, compatibility, reef safe vs. not, equipment, disease, etc. Nothing intense. Just a way to know if the potential employee really knows the hobby vs. someone who kept a Betta alive once for a few days, ten years ago.

Thanks
    rock on! surprisingly i have nothing to add.

Thanks
    Hello, I'm back

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Well don’t just say hello. Catch us up to date!!!
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Thanks
    Hi all. It's been exactly 5 months since my last post regarding "New Store Coming!" I've been a bit busy but am happy to announce that my store IS NOW OPEN!. It's still a work in progress, but I'm real pleased with the result so far. The name of the store is "Life Aquatic" and it's located in New Canaan, CT, which is in SW Connecticut, about 1 hour NE of New York City. It's all salt and reef with the exception of a few goldfish and bettas for the kiddies. All my corals are aqua-cultered either by me, or by other local growers. Almost nothing is coming out of the ocean. Re. fish, my goal is to sell only tank bred, tank raised or MAC certified (I have MAC certification pending), in that order. If a fish is currently being tank bred, then I will only carry tank bred specimens, and so on down the list. Any non-MAC certified, wild caught fish will only be purchased after I am personally confident that they are being responsibly caught. Accordingly, I am only dealing with a few, highly respected and reliable wholesalers who have reputations for only carrying animals that have been humanely collected, stored and transported. All shipments are coming directly to me via Fedex priority to my doorstep, thus minimizing the time that these animals are in transit, stuck at airports, etc. Are my prices the cheapest? No. But I can assure you that my fish are healthier, better suited for captive living, prepared foods, etc., than the average LFS. In the long run, my pricing will be a bargain as my fish will outlive the competitions. I am also proud to say that I am a copper free store. The store has some cool features like informational kiosks, a lounge area with a free-to-use library, streaming videos (Blue Planet, etc.) snacks and a non-commision, no pressure sales staff. As I stated in previous posts, I'm not doing this for the money, though, of course, I need to cover my expenses, but rather for my love of the hobby, the oceans and its inhabitants. My goal is to share my knowledge and enthusiasm with as many others as possible and hopefully help the hobby reach a point where absolutely nothing will be taken from the oceans. We've got a way to go in that regard, but you've got to start somewhere. Until people are willing to spend a few dollars more for a captive bred fish vs. its wild caught counterpart, the prices for wild caught will continue to be less, until there are no fish left in the wild to be caught. Let's hope we never reach that point!
    If you live in the northeast, or are planning a trip there, I hope you'll come check us out. Mention "The Talking Reef Community" and I'll give you a 10% discount. If you'd like more information, here is a recent article about the store: http: //www.stamfordadvocate.com/business/article/Life-Aquatic-swims-into-New-Canaan-939981.php: The phone # is 203 972-1200. Until next time............

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Congratulations!
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Thanks!!!!!!

Thanks
    PICTURES!!!!!!!!! i have seen none. not even of the build. im disappointed. congratz though, i only wish i could have the time and support to even attempt such a thing

Thanks
    Photos to follow

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Are-Jay View Post
    Photos to follow
    I'm looking forward to them!
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Me too! We've all been waiting anxiously for the build pics!

Thanks
    Where are the PIX?!?!?!
    Matt Colson

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 10-6
    See you in 2012

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information