Thread: I hate to say this but...

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Unhappy I hate to say this but...

After a year of trying to look for a job, working and trying to find all the money, I have only made $158 for MACNA in Orlando and I do not think I can make it. I feel really bad that my goal was not made but I know that I have tried and I do not think I am going to make next years ether with the way this economy is going and jobs at a low plus I may be moving so my parents need me helping them which leaves no time to look for a job ether. I thank everyone that has given me the support and without you guys and gals I would probably not of even made up the money that I did.

On a lighter note my family instead of buying me individual presents for my birthday they put together their money and bought me a 30 gallon tank from petco and some base rock from my LFS. It has been cycling for a month and a half now and a week ago I put my corals into the tank. Plus this weekend my family and I made a family trip to my saltwater clubs frag swap this last weekend, which was my first frag swap I have ever been to and it was pretty fun. I came home with 5 corals. An orange cap, blue arco, a green fridle mushroom, and a couple zoa's. I will post pictures later today. Thanks again to all of you for everything I hope someday I will make it to a MACNA and get to meet each and everyone of my family.
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    bummer! We all know how much you wanted to make it. But it's not like you only have a couple years left before they wont allow you out of the nursing home...lol. There will be others and I'm sure someday you will make it. Congrats on the new tank...look forward to the pics.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    lol yea, you are right I will have others. I will post pics soon.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Dont worry, it will be about the time i make it there as well.

although you so know im forcing you to have a beer with the group

Vquilibrium Productions

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Bummer. It is hard to save money when you can't find a job. I'll look forward to of the new tank.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by V View Post
    Dont worry, it will be about the time i make it there as well.

although you so know im forcing you to have a beer with the group
    LOL yea that would be great!! But of course I would have to be 21 to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by CarmieJo View Post
    Bummer. It is hard to save money when you can't find a job. I'll look forward to of the new tank.
    Carmie, it is quite hard a lot harder than I thought but I know someday that job will be there and I will be at MACNA. I hope that it is in Orlando again soon.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I am not sure if it has been held in the same place twice.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CarmieJo For This Useful Post:

rayme07 (07-28-2010)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CarmieJo View Post
    I am not sure if it has been held in the same place twice.
    Wasn't it held in Atlantic city twice, this year and last. I guess it depends on the funds of the club and I think I remember Dick saying that they are probably not going to do it again for a long time so I guess I am out of luck, but I guess it really don't matter where its held at.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Thanks
    dont worry my friend, it will give you plenty of time to save up.
    we are all on the long road to our dream tanks, im going slow and enjoying the journey!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to boyesreef For This Useful Post:

rayme07 (07-28-2010)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Sorry things did not work out Ray. They say everything happens for a reason.

I am also unable to attend and will look forward to a future event.

Here's hoping you get a new job!
    "The ultimate test of man's conscience may be his willingness to sacrifice something today for future generations whose words of thanks will not be heard."

~ Gaylord Nelson

13. The Following User Says Thank You to techguy For This Useful Post:

rayme07 (07-28-2010)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by techguy View Post
    Here's hoping you get a new job!
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Grand Master Reefer Seahorsedreams's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rayme07 View Post
    Wasn't it held in Atlantic city twice, this year and last.
    No, it was Atlanta in 2008 and then Atlantic City in 2009.

Sorry you weren't able to reach your goal.
    Renee

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Seahorsedreams For This Useful Post:

rayme07 (07-29-2010)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahorsedreams View Post
    No, it was Atlanta in 2008 and then Atlantic City in 2009.

Sorry you weren't able to reach your goal.
    oh ok Thanks for the correction Renee.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Raymond, my young friend, sorry you are not able to make the Orlando MACNA this year. I was looking forward to meeting you. The MACNA venue changes each year. Various clubs “bid” on hosting and the next year’s location is not revealed until the current MACNA is in swing.

It’s tough or impossible to gather money for an event like MACNA when there’s no incoming flow of cash. Not to be too "Dad” like but when you do get a job open a savings account and put a percentage of your check into it faithfully every payday. There’s always going to be another MACNA and of course the inevitable “rainy day” when funds are needed.

Until the next opportunity for our paths to cross, you will remain my young friend.

Dick
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Amphibious For This Useful Post:

rayme07 (07-30-2010)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Dick, thank you very much. I was pretty disappointed to find out I was not going but I know there is nothing that could happen to let me go. I will take your fatherly advice to heart and in fact I have already opened up a saving account and my friends around town that work have been telling me there are many job openings where they work so I will be going around and start filling out applications. I was quite surprised to hear this but I guess there were quite a bit of summer workers that are quitting to go back to school, so I might as well take advantage of this. Thanks again for encouraging me and I know someday we will meet and that goes for everyone of you guys on here I hope to meet you soon.

Your friend
    Raymond
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    We have always made it a habit to pay ourselves first. If you make saving a "bill" just like any other expense the money will be there when you need it. The other pay yourself thing to do as soon as you get a job is to open a Roth IRA. If you are a member of a Credit Union they often have programs to help young people start saving for retirement. Money you put there now will grow until you retire and provide for your future.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Yea, my dad has been talking to me about a Roth IRA for quite a while. And wants me to get one as soon as I can plus, I would not mind getting one to save for my retirement. Retirement is more important to me than anything, ever since I was a kid I have watched my grandpa save up and now that he is not working he is living quite comfortably on it and I would like to follow in his foot steps.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CarmieJo
    We have always made it a habit to pay ourselves first. If you make saving a "bill" just like any other expense the money will be there when you need it.
    This is so true! Thank you, Carmie for bringing this up. I’m going to expound on this subject while we have one of our young protégé paying attention. Hopefully, some of our other young or otherwise financially challenged members will get something from my “lecture”, Financial Responsibility 101.

Fiscal and financial responsibility is personal! Each of us MUST take on that responsibility at a young age or we will pay an enormous price later on. I learned from personal experience. I see both sides of this coin very often in my travels through life. I was one of the financially challenged until I was “enlightened” by a business and personal bankruptcy back in the mid ‘70s and ‘80s. Yes, it took two bankruptcies for me to learn financial responsibility. I just couldn’t add 2 and 2 together and get 4. I could point the finger toward my parents and fix the blame squarely on them and that would be accurate. HOWEVER, once we reach the age of adulthood, somewhere between 18 and 21, we MUST take responsibility for our own actions. It helps enormously if we have parents that teach us by example and actually showing us how to be fiscally and financially stable. It’s actually quite easy. A few simple guidelines to follow from the start. The following is a synopsis of what I paid $1000 to learn in a 3 day financial seminar that changed my life.

1. Pay yourself first. (This does not mean buying that coral or tank first. It means funding your retirement account.)

2. Pay yourself second. (This means, you need a contingency savings account in addition to your Roth IRA.)

3. Practice charity. (We simply must help those less fortunate than ourselves. It could be something as simple as funding a friend’s effort to “Run for Cancer”. Just make it a reoccurring giving event. You wont understand the benefit to yourself until you’ve done it for awhile.)

4. Pay your taxes.

5. Pay your bills in full monthly. (Extremely important!!! It’s living within your means that makes it work.)

6. Put money aside for the inevitable rainy day. They happen regularly! Those who prepare for rain always see the sunshine that inevitably follows.

That’s it!

BUT wait!!! Where’s the money for transportation, food, housing, clothing and my REEFING??? That all comes from what’s left over. LEFTOVERS? That’s all I get is the left overs??? Unfortunately it’s true. That’s the price we pay for living in the greatest country in the World.

Not to turn this into a political debate BUT our FREEDOMS and our FINANCIAL STABILITY are being eroded away by a FISCALLY IRRESPONSIBLE Congress and Administration past and present of both colors. That’s why it’s imperative we, you and me, become financially stable NOW. Paying the piper will happen. It cannot be any other way.

End of lecture; Financial Responsibility 101. Will you pass or fail. It’s your choice.

Dick

PS: I hated paying that $1000 fee to attend a lecture I didn’t want to attend. But, in my heart, I knew I was lacking knowledge about how money worked. I’m so grateful today for "paying the price" back then. We all will eventually pay the price. Why not learn and put to practice, personal financial responsibility today. You will only benefit in the long run. Being chronically poor is no fun. I know from past experience. Am I rich??? Only in friends, like you. But Sue and I are financially stable. That in itself is rich. We wish you the best of success. It’s up to you to learn and put it to practice. It doesn’t take good luck, it takes learning and action. Get busy, start today.
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Amphibious For This Useful Post:

rayme07 (08-04-2010)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks Dick, I will take those words to heart and am going to start saving for that rainy day and retirement.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Rick and I are believers in Dick's Personal Finance 101 too.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

27. The Following User Says Thank You to CarmieJo For This Useful Post:

rayme07 (08-05-2010)

Thread Information