Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New tank :)

Thanks

New tank :)

So a lot of people and friends have noticed that i have been getting really into fish tanks. So everyone has been keeping an eye out for things i may like. For instance last month i got 2 free tanks. So yesterday my buddy gives me a call saying that he got me another tank for free again and to come pick it up. Turns out to be a 12 gallon Nano Cube! I was jazzed. Don't really know much about these things but i've seen some pretty awesome ones on this site and others. The only thing missing was the hood and light setup but hey free is free.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Great looking tank!!
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    save up and buy a MH pendent. thats what i got and its the best.
    we are all on the long road to our dream tanks, im going slow and enjoying the journey!

Thanks
    Thanks Ray. Maybe one day this one will look as good as your 10 gallon does. Hey Nick what is an MH pendent?

Thanks

this is what i mean my friend. love it!
    we are all on the long road to our dream tanks, im going slow and enjoying the journey!

Thanks
    Ooh ok. So you would recomend this over buying a replacement hood and light for my Nano?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SLICKtopPOMP View Post
    Thanks Ray. Maybe one day this one will look as good as your 10 gallon does.
    Thanks but, I have seen a lot more nano's on here that look awesome and cant even compare to mine. I agree with Nick a MH pendent would be a great way to go, with it you can keep any type of coral under it with no problem.
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SLICKtopPOMP View Post
    Ooh ok. So you would recomend this over buying a replacement hood and light for my Nano?
    absolutely! more output, higher quality parts, adaptability, win win all the way around. ive had mine for a few months and ive got about double the coral growth. my cathedral coral is actually big enough that im fragging it.

Thanks
    How long do you have it on and does it affect the temp much?

Thanks
    its on from 10 to 10, and right now the house is at 90, and the tank is at 80. no chiller. lots of surface though. tank top, fuge, fuge overflows into tank. on a cold day, about 40, tank is about 75-80.

Thanks
    Cool thanks Nick i appreciate the advice. By the way did you build that HOB fuge or buy it somewhere?

Thanks
    home built. built it for $30 verses the $260 they want retail.

Thanks

heres what she looks like with the light on.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Raul, I love free tanks! Something like a Viper light would be a good choice.

Nick, good to see you!
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Ya Carmie i agree, i'm surprised at how many people have been finding for me. Pretty soon i'll have all the tanks i need. Nice Nick 40 bucks sounds great. What did you use to build it?

Thanks
    acrylic sheeting, acrylic glue, gobs of silicone cause i fear leaks. good to see you too carmie, a few months with no net killed me.

Thanks
    I have been looking at these Viper lights and they all have great reviews. About how much power would be enough for this 12 gallon? I saw they have a 70w and a 150w and the deluxe version goes up to 250w.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I think a 70 would let you grow most anything you want and a 150 anything. A 250 would probably be overkill.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to CarmieJo For This Useful Post:

SLICKtopPOMP (07-28-2010)

Thanks
    mine is the 70, it does very well. you need to shut it down, take the glass out, and clean the salt creep off once in a while, but thats a common demon in this hobby.

Thanks
    also, id recommend a koralia 1, found here ( http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...1&pcatid=21971 ) it seems a little overkill but the turnover will help keep the corals you end up getting clean of ditrius, and well fed. i say fed because if it dosent get its food from light, it pulls it out of the water, and with more "fresh" water available there is more opportunities to capture said food. if you want a similar fuge to mine, here ( http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...18&pcatid=3618 ) is the closest and cheapest to my design. and here ( http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...9&pcatid=15489 ) would be the light i have. all these together have kept my fish healthy and alive with a two year old in the house. if it can survive its got to be good. best of luck on your reefkeeping adventure and i hope you well and all the success i can muster. youve found the holy grail of info stumbling onto this site. use the information wisely and it will treat you well. ive had the same clowns for three years now, and they have lived in four states. Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, and now Vermont, so major moves, especially for fish, all moves in January. all the while occupying the same 14 gallons of ocean they live in now. i owe every second to the folks here. ok, ill step off my soap box now.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boyesreef For This Useful Post:

rayme07 (07-28-2010), SLICKtopPOMP (07-28-2010)

Thanks
    Cool thank you all for the info. I think i'll most likely go with the 70w then. If that will let me grow most anything then thats all i need. Besides the jump in price from the 70 to the 150 is quite a lot. I think i might just give it a shot at building a hang on fuge myself. I think it would be fun plus if it works then i can save myself some money.

Thanks
    watch out, diy is addictive. im trying to build a solar 12v fan for the blazing hot days. i dont like higher power bills.

Thanks

Been a while

Hi everybody! So it's been a while since i've been on here. I've been really busy with work and such (glad i have the work) and just haven't really had any time or new news. But now i do!!! So i sold the original nano that was given to me and sold a lot of other things on craigslist to save up for a tank worth having. I bought another 12 gallon nano for a really really good price on craigslist. It was the nano dx which is the upgraded version of mine. It comes with 2 instead of 1 PC 50/50 bulb plus 2 Blue LED's and 2 fans. The guy i bought it from also let me have the carbon bag, ceramic rings, live sand and biocube protein skimmer he bought for it. I was happy with my purchase. So i went to my LFS and bought some water from them to get it going. Still gotta buy some rock and possibly another powerhead for it. Forgive the pics they were taken with my phone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Congrats on the new project

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I wouldn't use the ceramic rings, they will make high nitrates. You will have the best luck if you only put a couple of tablespoons of carbon on the bag and change it weekly.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information