Thread: SPS...your opinions

Curious Reefer
    Thanks

SPS...your opinions

Im looking into getting more SPS corals (prefer acro), and was told that if I was having the great success with my stylophora and pocillopora and monti cap I could probably get an acro. I refuse to get anything more green because I have too many green corals.

now, from what I can see, most people say green slimer, a. valida, a. millepora, tricolor acro, a. tenuis, and ORA frags. My question is, with all the ORA names...i can't even keep track, would you suggest I get an ORA over anything else? What might my success rate be? and are acropora sp. not suggested to begin with?
    what about miami orchid, blue tortusa, bonsai...? What is one of the hardiest ORA corals?

p.s.~I post in other threads to get most input so you may see this somewhere else. I know people often answer these questions, but I really can't find the best answers

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    What is your lighting? Tanks size? Water parameters?
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    lighting: 6 X 54 watt T5s over my 5 year old 55 gallon tank. I have a 20 gallon sump/filter/fuge.

water parameters: ph 8.4...Nitrates/Nitrite/Phos have been perfect for the last 3 years (i can't help it)
    I dose calicium (1 tsp 2 X a week)

Thanks
    You should have no problems with Acros what so ever. I sent you a PM. Good luck
    -Aaron

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The lighting looks fine. What are your calcium, alk, and Mg levels?
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    long story short...I don't test for those. My tank is at home, but I am moving it next month to a laboratory I work in at the University of Iowa Bio Dept....where all my testing amenities can be found. For now I just dose and change water according to direction of the supplements and lfs owner.

Thanks
    I highly suggest u test for ca, mag and alk weekly. And check to see if they are all stable week to week. Very important in sps care
    -Aaron

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The dosing instructions are not to be relied upon. The manufacture can't have a clue what the demand in your tank is. If you have all softies it is likely very low. If you have a tank full of hard corals it is going to be much higher. It will be very cool to have a whole biology department lab at your disposal.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    I realize your concerns...but I don't rely totally on the manufacturer's instructions. I asked two lfs owners their opinions as well. for example: I don't know how much iodide is recommended, but I was told that instead i should dose 18 drops a day

and yes, while having a bio dept. as the home to my reef tank may be good, I might have to add some cousins of the invasive snail my lab researches.

Thanks
    I dont know too much about Iodide but 18drops a day seems crazy to me. You are going to find the best help right here on TR. I test for nitrate, nitrites, phosphates, ph, mag, ca, alk and I only add what I need to according to my readings. If you are going to go deeper into the rabbit hole with SPS I highly suggest testing weekly and never add with out testing. ask tons of question right here and we will give you the best info we can...especially since we arent trying to make money off of you.
    -Aaron

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    ok, like I said.....in a month. I don't want to go out and buy all the testing kits when I don't need to. Im not trying to be closed minded or naive, but literally I never would have thought my first SPS (green stylophora and pink pocillopora)...let alone any SPS could grow this fast so I must be doing something right. For now, I try to do frequent water changes so all the nutrients can balance out. I do test for ammonia, alk, nitrate, nitrite, and ph (but with test strips). I am most appreciative for your help....and you can be sure I will ask questions. I even have one now. Even though I am familiar with water chem. I have seen on a thread an article that talks about the correlation between calcium, alkalinity, and ph I think....could anyone help me out?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Those are pretty easy corals to keep. I would ask myself how in the world would a person who has never tested your water be able to give you a random amount of anything to add to your tank? Here is a good article by Randy Holmes-Farley, who is THE marine aquarium chemistry guru, on the relationship between Ca, Mg, alk and pH http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/rhf/index.php and another on water parameters http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php. And here are a couple on iodine http://www.qualitymarine.com/News/Fe...rt-1-(04/29/10) and http://www.qualitymarine.com/News/Fe...rt-2-(05/10/10).
    Last edited by CarmieJo; 07-19-2010 at 10:49 PM. Reason: spelling
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CarmieJo For This Useful Post:

rayme07 (07-13-2010)

Thanks
    good work with the stylophora and pink pocillopora I bet they look amazing! You are very welcome for the help. Yes Ca Alk and Ph go hand and hand. got any pix??
    -Aaron

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    So, in other threads....the responses I got for best/ easier ORA frag was:
    red planet, bonsai, millepora, plum crazy, cali blue tort, blue tip stag & teal stag, pearlberry, borealis, and miami orchid

difficult ones to keep: hyacinth and german blue polyp

so.....what's your bet? Do I just need to try one out and see how it goes?

Thanks
    With your success so far you should go and try whichever corals you like best.

Thread Information