Thread: How do I get rid of micro bubble in my tanks

Thanks

How do I get rid of micro bubble in my tanks

As some of you know that I have recently built a new monster skimmer and have the outflow of it pouring into my return which in the past has not been produced any micro bubbles in my tanks. I just recently added a new return pump to my sump system and now I am pumping 3100 gph instead of 1190 gph into my four tanks. I was wondering what you all might think is causing the micro bubbles? I have tried deferting the outflow of the skimmer to the side of the return and still I am getting micro bubbles in my tank.

Crispy Reef Monkey **MOD** Phurst's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    First, we need to find the source of the bubbles. it's likely to be either, the output of your skimmer, or the new pump. turn off your skimmer for a few hours. if the bubbles go away, then we need to concentrate on minimizing the bubbles coming out of your skimmer. If the bubbles are still there, then it's the pump. it could be cavitating, could be a pinhole leak in the plumbing somewhere, or any number of things, but we need to determine which piece of equipment is causing them.
    **KEEP ME AWAY FROM SUPER GLUE ... i tend to glue my lips shut !!**

Thanks
    I believe it is the skimmer that is producing the micro-bubbles. I believe it is coming out of the output of the skimmer. What can I do to it stop to keep it from producing bubbles?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I run mine into a 2L pop bottle filled with cheato.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Crispy Reef Monkey **MOD** Phurst's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Like Carmie said, you can set up some kind of bubble tower, you can try using a filter sock or filter floss, you could add an additional baffle or baffles to your sump, you can move the skimmer output further from the return pump, you could try a foam filter on the intake of your return pump, or any combination of these ideas.
    **KEEP ME AWAY FROM SUPER GLUE ... i tend to glue my lips shut !!**

Thanks
    CarmieJo, How do you setup the 2l pop bottle with cheato. Do you put holes in the bottom or just let it over flow back to the top of the bottle?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Here you go.

Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    I thought it was the skimmer, so I turned it off and still I had micro bubbles in my tanks. I then tried putting a sponge over the input of the return pump and that did not work. I tried using the method CarmieJo recommended and yet still had micro bubbles in my tanks. So, what I learned is that my skimmer puts off micro bubbles and contributes to the micro bubbles, but is not the main cause for the micro bubbles in my tanks. So, right now I have no idea what to do to get rid of the micro bubbles. How can you tell if it is the return plumbing causing the problems?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    How long did you try each thing? I will sometime take a while for them to dissipate. You could try turning everything off till you see no more microbubbles and then turn things back on one by one until you get them again.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Thanks
    I have tried the method you mentioned above and also have tried putting a barrier in front of the swirl mass of bubbles to break them up and I still have a steady stream of micro bubble in my main display tank.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    You still have microbubbles with all the pumps turned off?
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    tell the fish that straws are for drinking with and not to blow bubbles in the tank! LOL
    PapaMcEuin
    Family Reefer

Thanks
    Yes, I still have microbubbles in my tank. I have tried everything and still can not get rid of them. Thanks PapaMceuin for the tip I will make sure I have that talk with my fish. LOL!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Microbubbles come from pumps in my experience. If you turn all the pumps (skimmer, return, closed loop, powerheads, airpumps, etc) off and there are still microbubbles after a half hour or so then I don't think that they are microbubbles.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hey Bud.

Post some pic's of your setup, i cant remember what your system looks like.

Look, the good thing is, its just an annoyance. maybe extreme case you actually cause cavitation.

I dont understand how your not able to pin point the contributor once your the system is in idle though.

Wouldn't even bother looking at the skimmer, you know thats its whole role, so id leave it off till the very end. Later id focus on angle deflectors directing it to the surface or ledge the sloped surfaces. DIY your heart away i say!

Your main drive is the RP, dial it right down if possible, then view the output. (Eliminates that section) Nothing?, then start dialling it up with the same observation. Same on the "fall" side, noting design & behaviour whilst in travel in the sump. Then your benchmark is set & you work your way to the add-ons. If you cant actually see the trail of bubbles, grab a torch & shine it into your tank from behind the source or output. Lights up like a christmas tree

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks
    also, the skimmer may actually be producing the bubbles that gets sucked into the return pump and causing cavitation. or, and ive had this problem. there may be a small leak, or a hairline crack in your lines running to or from the pump. this may let in air. another example that supports this is im restoring a 1972 mg b gt. this is a four cylinder car with two carburetors. it had a bad idle, and a backfire. turns out it had a loose fuel line. it wasnt enough to let the fuel pump push fuel out, but it was enough to let air in. so bad run. hydraulics are a fickle thing.
    we are all on the long road to our dream tanks, im going slow and enjoying the journey!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to boyesreef For This Useful Post:

CarmieJo (08-06-2010)

Thanks
    I had this same issue when I started up my tank new.

http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/pu...turn-line.html

My return pump was the culprit simply because one joint was not COMPLETELY SEALED in the PVC connections. The reason was I didn't want to seal off the last little bit as I wasn't sure how the top end was going to be configured.

Long story short I posted almost this same thread and Amphibious instructed me to glue my loose fit parts.. I did and POOF! no bubbles.

I say track your unions and insure you made good joints when you installed the skimmer. Make sure any changes you might have made were glued well. Teflon any dry threaded joints.

This is exactly where I was 5 days ago.
    Matt Colson

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 10-6
    See you in 2012

Thanks
    Thanks for the replies on my micro-bubble issue. I took your alls advise and have found what I think is the culprit in my system that is producing the micro-bubbles. Bad thing is I am going to have to take apart part of my system and redo it due. I believe these areas have small leaks in them. Both of them are joints that I believe did not seal well during the initial setup of my system. I noticed a build of salt creep in these areas and I have decided to replace them and reseal them. Hopefully this will end my problem with the micro-bubbles. I will keep you all informed on what happens.

Thanks
    Well I replaced and resealed the two spots in my system's plumbing that were not sealed correctly the first time I sealed and still I have micro-bubbles. Could it be from the new pump that I put on my system causing the micro-bubbles? How do pumps create micro-bubbles? if so what can I do to make it stop. I have recently added a new genx pump to my system and before I had it to my system I never had microb-bubbles.

Thanks
    Well this has got to be driving you bonkers! First as suggested in an earlier post here to eliminate the source, turn off the skimmer to focus on the pump as THE PROBLEM.

If it IS... It is highly possible as it is a mass produced item, the "O" ring is slightly out of place. A simple removal and open it up. look it over as you would if you were cleaning it. Then re-assemble it taking care to seat everything properly.

This happened to me also on my mag-5 pump. BUT I had a slight leak. I just removed the front and the "O" ring literaly fell out. Its not supposed to "fall" out. I put it all back together and it sealed right up.

Just remember to tighten well but dont strip the threads on the plastic. You don't want to buy a new pump trying to fix an air leak.

Good Luck,
    Matt Colson

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 10-6
    See you in 2012

Thread Information