Thread: 90/50 combo system update

Apprentice
    Thanks

90/50 combo system update

I finally finished the stands and pretty much one canopy, so I was able to move the smaller tank into the house! I've already mixed new saltwater in the 50, and it's now sitting there with some good flow to really reach equilibrium before I plumb it into the existing 55 by adding another return to the sump. Is there anything I should consider as far as shocking my main tank beside temp and salinity? It's the same salt I already use so think of it as a massive water change reservoir sitting next to the established tank. Once I get the two running together, I'm going to let everyone get comfortable while I finish the canopy for the 90, then move the fish everything with coral on it over to the 50 so I can exchange the 55 for the 90 and move everything back with the same technique. I have several round, solid softball sized rocks that will be getting the hammer/chisel treatment to make more interesting shapes as well.

The 50 will be a frag tank after everything is moved back over to the 90. I'm thinking I'll aquascape after getting water running in the 90, then let my huge RBTA run around and find a spot before putting anything else in. Is there anything I can do to make an area that it would gravitate to? I'm thinking a really tall island just for the RBTA. Finally, I am thinking of adding a fish to the frag tank that may be a bad idea for the other tank. Maybe a third clown or something, as long as it's reef safe. Any ideas?

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    Looking good!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I think it is looking nice. As long as the water parameters in the new tank are stable I don't see any problem with your plan. I know a lot of people who keep a herbivore of some sort in their frag tank for algae control.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Apprentice
    Thanks
    I got both tanks plumbed together into my tiny sump and waited a couple days to make sure everything looks good. It does, so today I moved a lot of my coral over. I took out everything that wasn't on a huge rock. I still have an encrusing monti and a table acro in the 55, along with a small clam that has attached to his rock that I don't have room for. I also got out my RBTA and percs, but I'm hoping to borrow a fish trap for the rest. I can't believe how small my RBTA is when stressed out like this. It's usually 12-18 inches spread out, now it's back down to about 4. I wonder if it'll split due to the stress. Here are some pics.

And of course, my clowns managed to get beneath the eggcrate for a while too.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    It is looking good. How's the BTA?
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Apprentice
    Thanks
    The RBTA is doing well. It actually split (finally) and both are doing well.

Apprentice
    Thanks
    After a couple weeks with the 50 gallon frag tank sitting next to my old 55, I decided that it was finally time to get moving. I borrowed a DIY fish trap from a local reefer and took a few days getting everyone over there. I also had to get some coral off of large rocks that I couldn't fit in the 50, so I got out the rotozip's dry diamond wheel and made some frags. I used the "pegging" method that Marc showed me and I'm loving it so far.

I also made a tower for my RBTA that I hope will keep it contained and away from everything else.

And so I got everything out of the 55 except for the sand, some rocks I won't use in the new one, and all of the hermits and brittle stars. They will end up below the eggcrate in frag tank and I'll never get them out. I'll just pull them out and throw them in the 90 when it's ready. I then moved everything from the 55 out and put the 90 in. Unfortunately in the process I found my yellow bellied hippo tang dried up on the floor behind the stand. Here are some pics from the process.

I'm filling it up with enough water to aquascape, then putting in the rock and sand. The lights will go in the canopy once I've placed all of the rock. I'll keep updating as I progress.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mits View Post
    The RBTA is doing well. It actually split (finally) and both are doing well.
    That's great!
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Thread Information