Thread: 28 Gallon Nano Cube Stocking Ideas

Blog Entries
    Thanks

28 Gallon Nano Cube Stocking Ideas

I have a 12 gallon nanocube, and since I LOVE it and I'm addicted to the hobby... I'm wanting to start up another salty.
    I wanted to start a 55 gallon, but I think the weight is going to be an issue... So I'm loving the looks of a 28 gallon HQI Nano Cube. Found a few great deals of used ones, in great condition for 1/2 the price of a new one. So now I'm thinking of what I want to stock it with. The tank comes with MH lights, so I'll be able to add some nice SPS.
    For fishies... I'm not sure yet. I love my clowns in my 12 gallon, so I think I want another 1 or perhaps a pair of clowns again. And I really want a royal gramma. I want lots of color in the tank. So I was also thinking of a small yellow tang. I've seen some tanks this size with one, but I'm not sure if it's really okay... So my question is... Could I fit a small yellow tang in a 28 gallon tank? If it did get too big, I would immediately give it to my cousin, who has a nice 55 gallon corner tank.
    Let me know of any suggestions for stocking the tank. Including inverts and corals if you want.

Thanks guys!
    12 Gallon JBJ Nano Cube DX
    2 Ocellaris Clowns
    2 Black Turbo Snails
    1 Peppermint Shrimp

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Sorry, definitely no tangs in a 28. They grow fast and even if you buy them at nickel size they tend to get stressed out and get ick. The dwarf angels have lots of color and I think the smaller kinds would be OK in your tank but they are hit or miss on reef safeness. Mine only bothered Pocillopora. As long as you don't want shrimp a flame hawkfish would be pretty. There are lots of reef safe wrasses that would be OK too.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CarmieJo For This Useful Post:

rayme07 (07-01-2010)

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    My advice, you won't have much more room in a 28G than you had in your other nano. I am starting up a 55g. Waiting for the tank (pre-drilled special order from All-glass) and have a guy building the sump. The 55 is 48x13x20 so it will fit in our breakfast room where it will get much more attention than the nano which is in the loft. The Nano has been converted into a frag tank after an over run of caulpera required a full rock removal to erradicate. Couldn't get a fish that would eat it and survive the small size. Anyway, I was always frustrated by the lack of life I could have in the tank. So the 55 should provide enough long space to have all the critters I want without allowing so much that I can't afford it.
    PapaMcEuin
    Family Reefer

Thread Information