Thread: diy t5

Curious Reefer
    Thanks

diy t5

long story short I started adding SPS corals after having my 55 gallon for 4 years...my first (neon green stylophora) turned mint-green, so I now know I need stronger lights if I want to have the colors I want (or at least I think so). I have 4 X 54 watt T5s on a dinky system and was thinking...could I buy another sytstem off of ebay/ craigslist eg:http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/for/1812651202.html and take both systems apart to make my own retrofit? or would it be better to get http://www.aquacave.com/48-tek-2-t5-...pply-695.html# for about the same price? I don't know if the ballasts in the retro kits are good enough though so any input or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Crispy Reef Monkey **MOD** Phurst's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Save yourself the trouble and just buy a retro kit. The one from Aquacave is fine. It looks like a Workhorse, or perhaps Advance ballast. When it comes to T5s, the ballast is not as critical as it is in MH. They're all more or less the same except for Icecap.
    **KEEP ME AWAY FROM SUPER GLUE ... i tend to glue my lips shut !!**

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    so you think 6 bulbs will be best? bc if I did buy one from craigslist (a 4X 54 watt) then I could have 8 bulbs total instead of 6 for about the same price....

Crispy Reef Monkey **MOD** Phurst's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I'm not sure you can physically fit 8 bulbs and reflectors over a 55. I think 6 will be tough.
    **KEEP ME AWAY FROM SUPER GLUE ... i tend to glue my lips shut !!**

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    I have 2 T5's and 1 PC on my Nano. The PC is 420nm... Don't know exactly what brand, came in a brown tube no name. But made the colors pop. I have 2 Giesemann Powerchrome Aquablue+ that have done well for the birdsnest acros but the addition of the 420nm PC really kicked it up a notch.... until I fragged a closed brain and set it on the frag rack to cure to the plug... it ate some yellow thing whose name I have forgot and a plate coral frag I was growing... Since moved back down to the sand bed below with plenty of space between....
    PapaMcEuin
    Family Reefer

Thread Information