Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Craigslist 55

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Your system is coming along nicely. its looking good.
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    Thanks Ray. Finished off the water level in the sump and got the system moving. After 30 minutes checked the salinity levels and they are right on the mark. Only downside is I have determined I do not like the cheap pump. Way to noisy and not enough flow for this set up which comes with a 2 headed inlet. So going to get a mag drive pump like I have up stairs but maybe bigger than the Mag3. Will have to check physical dimensions first. Anyway, this cheap pump will at least be good for the 13g trashcan I now use for mixing saltwater. I can drop it in and leave it with a hose that will stir and fill. What I am using now I have to hold the hose in place and after this, I am tired of holding in place bent over into a 33g trash can which my wife wants back for clothes storage ;-). I will give it a day and then put in some live rock/rubble from my nano sump as well as a couple of cups from its sand and a bio treatment that was a "freebie" sample. Will have to give the name later. Sample is odd since it says it is enough to aid in the bio process for a 35 gal tank for 16 weeks. Sound more like a free supply. Maybe I will dump the entire thing in since the tank is dead anyway....
    PapaMcEuin
    Family Reefer

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    Well, the tank is now clear and the cycle has started. Ammonia's are up, no nitrites or nitrates yet. Since half the rock was sitting outside and had dead culpera on it, I put in one slug from my nano (out of about 100 that were crawling on the glass last night) in the tank. Lights out on it and it is having fun with the rocks. I also moved the glass scrubber from the other tank over which was covered with some green algae, very thin layer. One micro star was on it and remains there grazing on what little algae grows. But, I figure it will provide a growth point for some algae. I replaced the pump with a Mag 3 and the noise issue is gone. I also got another Koralia Evo 750 mounted in the opposite corner and redirected the flow pumps down and around the overflow so the corner isn't completely dead. Hopefully that will be enough because I don't want any more equipment. Oh, the little skimmer seems to be working thus far. It was very effective in removing the dust from the water, skimmed off two cup fulls so far. Now that the water is clear, it is doing next to nothing again as I would expect. Nothing in the water to form lasting bubbles. But, I see how the adjustments work so given break in time it should be fine. I do think it could be better though with a bit more air. I blew into the air tube and it did help produce more bubbles, so I wonder if it would help to just hook the air line to a quiet air bubbler. Anyway, I will give it a few weeks to determine that but I have some bubblers that are quiet that I may test that with if needed. I still like the lights, the LED's give a nice laser show look at night. Anyway, that is all for now. Must remain patient I once again remind Hasten and myself as he asks regularly, "Is it ready for fish yet?"
    PapaMcEuin
    Family Reefer

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    Build07.jpg

Current picture.... Sitting by the tank this morning deciding on what I want for breakfast, how soon I am going to start my office work, and when it will be dry enough outside to mow the yard. I have decided though that the tank placement down here in the breakfast room is definitely a great place.
    PapaMcEuin
    Family Reefer

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    Well, life has been a bit rough and complicated. My father passed away on July 23rd while we were heading to Florida. We were just north of Nashville so we redirected to Dallas. Complicated history, but still difficult. After the funeral we have left all the family drama behind, that is drama that exists between my siblinings in the Dallas area aside from the passing of our father, and are now in Florida at our friend's house. We will be heading back to Kentucky Monday. We have split each drive into two days since we have long since tired from 10 years of through the night drives to Dallas preferring to use Hotwire for a cheap overnight stay. Anyway, our travels have been extended both in time and highway miles.

On the tank project, I have checked in with my house sitter and basically the ammonia's have not gone done yet. So I have decided that I will have to get more rocks for bacterial growth. Ordered 50 lbs key largo dry rock from Marco Rocks. So when I get home on Tuesday (more likely the day after on Wednesday) I will do a major water change and hopefully the new rocks will be there by then so I can add them to the tank. I am hoping that will help get the cycle moving along. Anyway, that is where I am now....
    Last edited by PapaMcEuin; 08-01-2010 at 10:38 AM. Reason: grammar....
    PapaMcEuin
    Family Reefer

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I am very sorry to hear of your loss. My dad passed away in 2005 and I miss him every day.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    Thanks Carmie. Like I said, things were complicated. I will miss the few and far between times when things were good and more specifically that he did not truly have the time to change before he passed. Too many demons, but I know know he is at peace and no longer fighting his past. My Mom told me about his last day and specifically the last moments of his life. They were good and she was able to sit and talk with him that day and see him pass on peacefully. Jumping out side the norm here, but I now believe he was a Christian, just struggled too greatly with letting go of his past wrongs and those done against him when he was a child. But I can take comfort in knowing I will see him again, something I was unsure of.

Now to end on a sillier note which is what I need, rocks are on their way via FedEx. Left florida yesterday when we left so maybe I can expect them Thursday or Friday. They were in POMPANO BEACH, FL at 1 am this morning according to FedEx. Oh well, I will work on the tank more once the rocks come in....
    PapaMcEuin
    Family Reefer

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    Well, got home and now ammonia's are down to .25 so they are finally going down. I also noticed that the hermit crab I put in the tank before leaving is doing well and as a matter of fact all the rocks are perfectly clean. The cellulose remains of the culpera have been completely removed. I also noticed that there are a few mysis/copods or whatever crawling around the rocks now once the lights went out. The snail I put in is also busy checking all the glass surfaces. So should be moving along. Still will add some additional rock to help long term but will likely sell what I don't use unless I decide to put some back in the nano. anyway, that is all I know.
    PapaMcEuin
    Family Reefer

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaMcEuin View Post
    Thanks Carmie. Like I said, things were complicated. I will miss the few and far between times when things were good and more specifically that he did not truly have the time to change before he passed. Too many demons, but I know know he is at peace and no longer fighting his past. My Mom told me about his last day and specifically the last moments of his life. They were good and she was able to sit and talk with him that day and see him pass on peacefully. Jumping out side the norm here, but I now believe he was a Christian, just struggled too greatly with letting go of his past wrongs and those done against him when he was a child. But I can take comfort in knowing I will see him again, something I was unsure of.
    I am glad he passed peacefully from this life and even more so that he was a Christian. To me, knowing that you will see him again is the real peace that passes understanding.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    Yippie! The tank has now completed its cycle and I can start adding critters. Well, actually I have already added some critters moved from the nano but will need many more as the tank gets going. Now to determine what fish to buy and which frags to move down. I got in the marco rocks but several are really large and will have to remove some rock that I had to accomodate those that I just put in. Those that I remove will go back to the nano. I will wait a few days hoping for a bacterial transfer, but not all the rock I had in will be moving so should not cause an issue. Anyway, have to get to work, pics will come later.
    PapaMcEuin
    Family Reefer

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    Ok, so as I get ready to start adding things to the tank, I am curious about what fish you would put in the tank. Here are things I am planning on including:

Pin cushion urchin (later once algae levels build)
    CUC (Hermits, Emeralds, Stars, Snails, Shrimp)

Corals from the Nano Frag Tank:
    Mushroom Leather (Big one from Nano after fragging. I actually want to frag this guy because it is 7 to 8 inches diameter and should give me enough fish credits to buy fish.)
    Closed Brains
    Blue Acroporia
    Monti (yellow green birdsnest, brown/purple digitata?)
    Plate Coral
    Green Horn Coral
    Green Star (this time isolated)
    Hammer Coral
    Galaxia
    Colt (after fragging)

Asorted Mushrooms, Zoas, and Buttons.

So the question is with all these, what fish would you also put into the tank? I will stage the move in of the corals unless you all think they will be fine. Most are still relatively small and will be able to grow into their new homes. Since this is a 55 display, would a Tang work? What is the smallest tang out there that is reef safe? I want to have a mixture of colors but don't want to over crowd. Anyway, thoughts and suggestions desired.
    PapaMcEuin
    Family Reefer

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    Well, I may be stepping up moving corals.... While working on the 20 gallon nano I knocked the light fixture into the water. Yep, it was on. Thankfully I did not get shocked but shortly after I set it out of the tank it did. Zip, bang, poof and it was fried.... Ordering the 24" same light setup I bought for the 55. We'll see how well they do under just a 420nm.
    PapaMcEuin
    Family Reefer

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    wow, thats a bummer. I am glad you are alright. I wish you luck on the new fixture.
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    Well, I have moved quite a few items down to the big tank because of the nano light failure and the delay in getting the replacement. Several just were not holding up. But they are now recovering pretty well in the 55 gallon. Not completely better, but recovering. Also, after my first water change the skimmer stopped working (bubbling). But I moved the air line from after the pump in the line to the skimmer to a inlet nozzle before the pump. Works great, even better than before. Not a bad deal for 29.99 (35 w shipping). I am likely to buy another because it seems to work better than what I have running in the Nano's sump which is a CPR SR3. That one has just been problematic and causes lots of microbubbles. I got the new light from aquatraders and really like it. It comes with 2 460nm's and 2 12K-K lights. I swapped one of each both on the nano and the 55 with Geissemann Aquablue+ and PureActinic 420's. So both now have one each of 460, 420, 10kK and 12kK. I have to say that so far, I don't think the Geissmann 420 is not as deep a purple as was on the I don't know brand 420 I got from Todd @Aquatica that is a PC. Since it won't fit to have a PC and T5 setup with the 4 bulb T5 on the nano, I will be selling all my PC setups (parts, lights, and 24" fixture). If you are in louisville, check craigslist later this weekend. I will get it all out and ready to sell....

Anyway, I am going to get more cuc members now that I have moved into the diatom stage of the long cycle and also have a small amount of green hair finally growing on the back walls. I also will give a shout out to the TwoLittleFishes NanoMag. Since I am dealing with a narrow tank and children that want to clean the walls, those have been wonderful. They work much better than the floater I have had and they don't knock my corals around. Oh, and I love the MarcoRocks, but I did not use them all. I have 3 large pieces. I may put two in the nano, but more likely I will sell them. They are nice, but too much rock for my aquascaping and the nano is likely just to stay a frag farm. On that note, I will be fragging a few birdsnests, toad leathers, and horn corals. Have to let them recover a little from the light issues though.

August 2010 Tank View.jpg29DollarSkimmer Working.jpg
    PapaMcEuin
    Family Reefer

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    FragFarmAug2010.jpg

So, I frag'd the green horn coral. About 20 new frags with this one. Now to wait a couple months and find some method of sales....
    PapaMcEuin
    Family Reefer

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The tank is looking good!
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    Ok, so some of you might shot me so before you say anything understand that if I notice any issue, I will take them back. I do understand that there is a hotly contested debate, mostly hot by those that say no, about Tangs. I have talked with several with 55's and they have no issue. Also, I have not nearly the crowding of rock that some reef tanks have so there is still plenty of swim room. BUT..... Ok.... We went looking and did more talking with Sandy's and their tank owners that also work there... and bought a couple of tangs, a yellow . Both relatively small. Their experience is slow growth, but I will watch it and if needed, loose my investment and sell/trade them back if they seem unhappy. We also got a Coral Beauty Angel, also pretty small. They all had just eaten and are relatively small so should be no problem. Next week or two most likely due to a business trip for me, we are going to add in some smaller maintenance fish. I would show you a picture but though these are the first fish we have in the tank after 2 or maybe is it 3 months setup, they are all three hiding together in a rock cave. I caught a peep of the blue when I walked in the house and as soon as it saw me it hid. They all are getting along well because they are not hiding in their own places or chasing another out, but all hiding together... Funny. Anyway, for the next fish we are likely to get these: FireFish Goby, Royal Gramma, Pearly Jawfish. After that, I am not quite sure. Oh, but on the next trip will get a cleaner shrimp. Anyway, don't shoot me, I will be watching things.

Oh, and one more thing. For the nano/frag tank, I bought a Orange Tree Gorgonian. It has some starfish all over it, said they are symbiotic or something. Anyway, I will be frag'ing it and getting it going. Hopefully it does very well.... Anyone have experience with them. I have read up on these in the past but think it will be just fine with how I work the tank.
    PapaMcEuin
    Family Reefer

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    Well, fish came out to play when I fed them at lunch. I did not see the cleaner shrimp I bought yesterday and from what I can tell, do not see any indication of it molting. So I am going to move the monster brittle star to the sump until I find someone to take it off my hands. At least it will only be able to munch on the overflow garbage and not my fish this way.... argh....
    PapaMcEuin
    Family Reefer

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    If I read your post right you have put two tangs into your 55? IMO, someone is giving you bad advice. You might get away with a species that stays small like a kole tang but I would never recommend two. Even if they are tiny now unless you are not going to feed them they will grow quickly.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    The growth will be what I watch. I have a feeling that we will keep the yellow and pass along the blue within a year. My wife was really wanting them and give them a try. I will not be "not feeding" but I told her up front that we may lose money to make sure they stay healthy and have to go somewhere else.
    PapaMcEuin
    Family Reefer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information