Thread: Moorish Idol

Thanks

Moorish Idol

Hey guys i'm looking to see if anyone has ever had a moorish idol in a reef tank. I know they eat coraline algae and pick on LPS and all that stuff. But i'm just wondering if anyone has ever had one before and their experience with this beautiful fish.

Thanks
    -Aaron

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Moorish Idols are one of the most challenging of fish to keep in captivity. They are very skittish in nature and very demanding in care requirements. Add to that, Idols do not take kindly to the woes of capture, starving, handling and shipping. This is one fish that comes to your LFS in very poor condition. As with most fish, their outward appearance belies their true condition. Most Idols refuse to eat and starve to death in a week or two. Those that pick at food do not take to the change in diet from nature to our foreign foods. Take into consideration that most reefers put them into too small of a tank and/or with inappropriate tank mates and the problems compound for the Idol’s survival.

In the days of chemical capture methods, Moorish Idols could be counted among the dead within days of arriving home to our tanks. Today, their’s a better chance of getting one that’s been captured without chemicals (but no guarantee). However that does not guarantee success but gives the Idol a better chance of overcoming the other obstacles of living in captivity. My suggestion???

If you are a newbie leave it alone. If you have years of experience, a large tank (125 minimum) WITHOUT any aggressive fish (such as Tangs), have it an established reef system (at least one year), with perfect water parameters (meaning real test results), and most important, a commitment ahead of time to give the Idol anything and everything it needs to survive in terms of space, food items, calm tank mates, water changes and anything else it needs, then go for it.

My best at an Idol was back in the 70s when I was shipping fish in from hawaii. I got one to live for a year. Very rewarding!!! If you could get one from Hawaii and not the South Pacific I think you would have better luck due to less handling, bag time, and shipping stress. But remember in the hands of most collectors, handlers, holding facility employees and all others involved in their transport to you, including your LFS, a Moorish Idol does not hold any special place on the list of fish. It’s just another fish to be passed along ASAP before it dies in their hands. A dead fish of any ilk is lost money to them. They would much rather have the loss at your end, not theirs. I have not wasted my money on an Idol in 30 plus years even though it is my favorite fish by far. So much so that the Moorish Idol has been the fish silhouetted in the logo I’ve used for the last 30 years.

I have a 220 gal I’m setting up one of these days that I’m going to allow to cycle and settle for about six months with only a few very select fish suitable as tank mates for Idols. Then I’m going to import about six Idols as the only large fish for that tank. I’ll keep you posted as to my success.

We’d ask you to do the same, if you decide to go ahead with your quest for an Idol. Treat them like the Regal fish they are and the rewards are enormous pride and satisfaction in a challenge accepted and accomplished.

Dick
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Amphibious For This Useful Post:

CarmieJo (04-28-2010), Dragonwolf (05-01-2010), rayme07 (04-29-2010), ScubaBosh (04-29-2010)

Thanks
    Thanks Amp!

I've been researching them a lot lately and all I can say about the Moorish Idol is WOW. I religously maintain my tanks and I love this hobby to death, but I am no where near ready or have the proper setup for this beautiful fish. This fish has given me the extra drive to become as successful as possible in this hobby so that one day I can provide the husbandry needed for The Idol.

Thanks!
    -Aaron

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ScubaBosh For This Useful Post:

rayme07 (04-30-2010)

Thanks
    Great post Dick. Scubabosh....instead of a Morish Idol you could try a Longfin Bannerfish. I have had good success with mine in a mixed reef (125). The only problem is; I know I'm going to have to remove him someday beause they grow at a very rapid rate.
    {stock photo}
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dragonwolf For This Useful Post:

CarmieJo (05-01-2010), ScubaBosh (05-03-2010)

Thanks
    awesome. thanks for the info Dragon!
    -Aaron

Thread Information