Thread: Noob Pluming Questions

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Noob Pluming Questions

Ok, as you know im not a total , lol, but now im plumming a drilled tank. So the question is if the drilled hole is 1.5 inch how do i go abought "bulkheadin" the hole. OK dumb question get a bulkhead. But what size should it be? And the O-rings go on both sides of the glass or just the inside? Im really sorry abought the basic question, I just need the right answer and there is not a better place that I know of then here~
    Everyday I Spend Less Time In Front Of The Tv, And More Time Infront Of My Tanks~

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    That would most likely be a 1” bulkhead. The flange and gasket goes inside the tank with the nut on the outside. No pun intended.

If you have some silicone grease, I like to use a dab on the nut flange and threads. Not totally necessary, just tightens better. Do not use a wrench while tightening. As tight as you can get with fingers is tight enough. Using a mechanical device (wrench), you are most likely going to crack the bulkhead and it usually shows up as a drip leak AFTER you have it all set up. I witnessed it with a friend’s 220 gal with a 6” DSB. Not a pretty site to replace.

Dick
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    is there anything i can do to stop the leak between the glass and bulkhead other then just the sleeve or o-ring thing because the tank im trying to set up, wont stop leaking from the drilled holes spot.
    Everyday I Spend Less Time In Front Of The Tv, And More Time Infront Of My Tanks~

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    ok ill try the silicone grease, just want to know if i can go an extra step farther~

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Did you get it to stop?
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    OK, wow great! Totally fixed. Basicly i got some thick heavy dudy gaskets, And I threaded and greased the bulkheads flanges~ i put gaskets on both sides of the glass and thightined it with rubber gloves for extra grip. I Dint use clamps or a vise grip! Lol, any how its been a few hours so far so good (\(';')/)!!! Thanks so much Amphibious~

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Good deal! Dick is the best!!
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Here is a copy of a Sticky I did for another forum on bulkheads.
    99% of the time leaks are caused by either the gasket being on the wrong side, regardless if its on the wet or dry side of the tank, overtightening, the use of sealants or lubricants which cause the gasket to "scoot", incorrect size holes or excess flashing or plastic in the threads. A little preparation goes a long way.

Bulkhead tips:

1. Always install bulkheads clean and dry, no silicone's, teflons or thread lubricants. Silicone's and lubricants cause the gasket to scoot out or not seal properly. Have you ever removed an old automobile windshield or other gasketed glass? The rubber vulcanizes to the glass with time and creates a perfect seal without any help.

2. Before installing the bulkhead take a few minutes using a jewelers file, nail file or pocket knife and clean any excess flashing off both the male and female threads and from the flat gasket mating surfaces. This is a common source of leaks.

3. Always install the gasket on the flange side of the bulkhead, never on the nut side, regardless if its inside or outside the tank. Installing the gasket next to the nut will lead to leaks. Hand tighten only with maybe 1/4 to 1/2 turn additional, no more.

4. When using threaded bulkheads, again clean the excess flashing from the threads and valleys and use a small amount of teflon tape or better yet the stick or crayon type of thread lubricant designed specifically for PVC treads. These can be found at Lowes, HD, Ace and all hardware stores under names like Laco, Permatex and others.

I use this one and have since the 1980's with great success.
    LA-CO: Product Detail - PLASTO-JOINT STIKŪ - Plastic Thread Sealant
    It stays pliable forever and does not tear or roll out of the threads like teflon tape. My swimming pool plumbing up to 2" was all installed with this in 1983, outside in Phoenix AZ and its still pliable to this day!

5. Never support any pumps or piping from a bulkhead, always use supports so weight is not on a bulkhead and gasket causing differential stresses on the mating surfaces.

6. Never screw anything to the external threads of a bulkhead, these are not standard tapered pipe threads and will leak. They are there to screw the nut on is all and are not normally even a standard diameter like 1" etc.

Hope you get some use out of this.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks AJ. I made this an article.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Thread Information