Thread: question for discussion

Blog Entries
    Thanks

question for discussion

so i am trying to think up a method of running a sump. dont have a drilled tank and dont have the option at this moment to get one. and i dont wanna do overflow boxes cause no matter how much you spend on them they leak like a ship wreak. so my thoughts are going to the same method that a canister filter would run. running a large power head in the tank to draw water down into the sump, then run it back into the tank with a large pump and using stop valves on the return line in case of power failure so it breaks flow and keeping the power head high in the tank and running a larger sump to accomidate if water flow stops. anyone think this would work? any other ideas? or should i strick this idea due to complete failure?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I am bad at plumbing but I think it would be nearly impossible to match the pumps due to head loss.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    I would do and gravity line to the sump and a return pump back. putting the gravity line only so far down in the tank so if the power or pump goes out it doesnt drain your tank. Always use a check valve on the return pump like you said. Now you just have to figure out how big of pipe(pvc or tubing) you need to use for whatever size return pump you go with. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Some makeshift plans are doomed for eventual failure, usually when you are out of town. I believe this is one of those. The wife (mine) is never pleased when a flood happens and if you live in an apartment it can spell huge repair bills. It’s saltwater, very corrosive to electrical wiring. Best to wait until you upgrade if you don’t want a hang on overflow box. There are some good one’s out there.

My suggestion is you subtlety start setting the wife up for a change. That you need to upgrade to a “better and somewhat bigger” system. You know you want one. She just needs to realize it in her own time frame. You need to be a good “story teller”. If she isn’t “into” the reefing thing that could take some time. If she is “into” reefing it could happen overnight.

Couple of things to remember about me and this advice...

1. I’m a pipefitter by trade, 40 years. I’ve tried most of the ideas that short circuit common sense. Many were failures.

2. Over time I became a “Master” story teller. It helps if your wife is devoted to your happiness. Mine is. Of course that works both ways and I reciprocate. It makes for a happy marriage, the best kind. Our’s is.

Happy Reefing,

Dick
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Yeah leaks were and always are something I think about. I have looked at some overflow boxes and they seem good but I ear alot that no matter how much you spend they leak. So that's why I was thinkingore of a quote unquote canister filter running way to try to avoid as much leaking as possible. But we do have some vacations comin up and am already not too thrilled about leaving my tank in the hands of a know nothing. So we will see. Thanks for the advise dick. I brin up the system every once and awhile to test the waters. But I think at this point she is sick of me asking for a motorcycle so I don't know if I could get anything to fly. Though her new ring comes in soon so maybe that could be my excuse. Let's just say I do wanna still attempt this hair brained idea. What kinda pumps do you think could be used? I know you don't recommend it but I might try it on a smaller tank first to see what happens before I attempt on the dt.

Thanks
    I am also in the planing phaze for a sump for my next tank. I'm thinking about a float switch in the sump to turn the pump off if I lose siphon and the water drops. And putting an 1/8" hole in the return line about an inch below the water line so if the power goes out it can only back siphon the top inch off the tank before it reaches the hole and sucks air and breaks siphon.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
    I am also in the planing phaze for a sump for my next tank. I'm thinking about a float switch in the sump to turn the pump off if I lose siphon and the water drops. And putting an 1/8" hole in the return line about an inch below the water line so if the power goes out it can only back siphon the top inch off the tank before it reaches the hole and sucks air and breaks siphon.
    GREAT idea Salty! I will be changing one of my returns with that one for sure. Wish I would have thought of that. Check valves can get gravel, dirt, snails or whatever and all of a sudden they won't seal.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    so any other opinions on this besides dick's? i respect it dont get me wrong and will probably follow his advise just curious what others might think too

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I still think you will not be able to size the pumps. You will eventually either run the DT or sump over.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    hmm that is something i hadnt thought about. so it might take some serious calculating to see if head pressure can be matched. hmm food for reefing.

Thread Information