Thread: Clarkii Tank Mate Suggestions?

Thanks

Clarkii Tank Mate Suggestions?

I run a 30 gallon tank with 20 sump and 5 gal HOB refugium. There is a 3" clarkii and a 3" coral beauty swimming around. Also 2 condilactus anenome, a colt coral, several zoos and a couple peppermint shrimps. And now a lone yellow chromis. I added two chromis because I wanted a little more swimming activity and the owner-operated fish store I trust suggested the chromis would be able to hold their own (if only by burying themselves) against the clarkii. By day two one chromis (having tried to escape over the edge ended up dead in the tank. The other chromis is slowly being reasonably accepted the beauty but still spends a lot of time out of site.

Can anyone suggest a few alternate tank mates for the clown and the beauty? I'd like to add another 4" of fish, my water is good and I keep track so it remains ~10 nitrate and 0 other nasty chems. I was keeping it at 0.027 salinity but recently lowered that to 0.023 to everyones delight.

By the way, the clarkii and the beauty were once best buds until I added the anenome. It took clarkii about 2 days to find his new true loves in the anemones and spends his time in their embrace. Clarkii is quite the bully, hiding quickly then attacking when he thinks he can get away with it (I've been nipped several times and he's pretty attentive when I move a coral to someplace he disapproves. I'm tempted to try some clown sushi but figure it will have a greasy taste.
    Sherm
    29 reef gal + 20 gal sump+HOB refugium
    various zoas, feather dusters, large colt, condi
    clarkii & coral beauty.

various janitors & bristle worm

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Clarkis are pretty aggressive and with him acting like that I am not sure if you can add another fish without him attacking it to the death. I remember when I had mine any other fish I added to the tank after got brutally beaten to death not to mention my fingers. I am thinking a 6 line wrasse may be a good choice. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...375&pcatid=375
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rayme07 For This Useful Post:

sherman50 (03-31-2010)

Thanks
    I did a little google research this AM and it looks like the 6-line wrasse is just what I'm looking for for color, interest and nerve. Thanks. Too bad about my remaining chromis; it doesn't look like they'll get along (RIP?) Ken
    Sherm
    29 reef gal + 20 gal sump+HOB refugium
    various zoas, feather dusters, large colt, condi
    clarkii & coral beauty.

various janitors & bristle worm

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I would try and move some rock around a bit and establish new territories if you can, before you put the sixline in there. Then be prepared to take the sixline or the clarki out just in-case it does get bad.
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thread Information