Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jace's 29g

Thanks

Jace's 29g

Hey all, I havent been on this forum in year's. Im still into the Saltwater hobby, My 125 is up and running and doing great. But recently I found out I was alergic to mold, I had a 55 and a 46 freshwater tanks in my room so i had to scrap them, because I was only getting a hour to two hours of full sleep a night,

Now fortunily for me, I am not alergic to the moisture given off by saltwater vapor, So I can have a saltwater fish tank in my room, I could of gone bigger but I like the more compact look of a smaller tank, Right now its in its Sandstorm stage so i figured no need for pictures, It also does not have a light(TAKING ALL RECOMENDATIONS FOR LIGHTS) I have no idea what kind of light I should get on it, I want to keep some Nice lookin corals! But I don't want to much of a intense light where it bleaches and heats up the tank to much, I'm also planning on hooking up a 10g sump(mostly a refuge) tho. with the basic sump stuff (no skimmer).
    For live stock, I'm going for a Bi color Angel and I was pondering the blue star leopard wrasse, But getting it to feed might be a challenge, and my tank does not quite meet the req's for it, But I feel I could carefor it...So thats a 50/50 If infact I do get it those will be the only fish in the tank, If I don't get it i'm going for a lawnmower blenny and _________________ I have no idea but If i dont get the wrasse I'd want 3 fish in the tank.
    More to come sorry for the long post.
    -Thanks -Jace
    -Jace

Thanks
    Does anyone have any idea for lights ?
    -Jace

Thanks
    So thus far, My main questions are the light, and the fish.
    -Jace

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi Jace, it's good to see you again! I don't know what your light budget is but Dick (Amphibious) is selling the latest in LED's http://www.theculturedreef.com/ecoxotic.htm. They are low power and low heat but give you a lot of light. If you did not go with the LED's I would recommend T5's. You want individual reflectors for each bulb and I would probably go with 4 bulbs.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CarmieJo For This Useful Post:

rayme07 (03-29-2010)

Thanks
    I'd be willing to check his LED's out but I dont know how to really use his site to well, Is there a certain model you could give me to look at for the T5's? Thanks.
    -Jace

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I don't use T5's so I can't recommend a make or model.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...b=0&size=30%22
    I found that, But i think i could get a better one for a better price.
    -Jace

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hey Jace, Welcome back. Long time no see how are you doing? That light you have there looks fine but I would more recommend going with one of the nova extreme fixtures from dr. foster and smith. Heres a link to them all: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...578/3733/13822
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    JACE, my young friend, been missing you around here.

Lighting selection for a 30” tank can be a problem. Few manufactures make a 30” fixture. It’s either 24” or 36”. The LED fixture mentioned above is too big for your tank. I’m not totally sold on them as yet.

I’m testing out a Coralife Lunar Aqualight Compact Fluorescent Fixture, 4X96 Watt, in the 48 inch size. I’m getting great PAR numbers for a Power Compact plus it has moon lights which people are really liking for night viewing. Here’s a link to it - Coralife Lunar Aqualight

I can get this light for basically the same price with shipping and no sales tax. PM me if interested.

Dick
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Thanks
    Hey Dick, Glad to see you posted here. now I found a local reefer who is selling 20" 150w Sunpod MH for 150$ 6 mounths used, I think I should pick that up. What do you guys think.
    -Jace

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Personally, I would not. The bulb will need replacing soon, $60. You will have heat issues, possible need for chiller, $500. I believe that is too much light for your 29.

Just my thoughts.
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I agree a MH will be more trouble then its worth.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    well.....Its such a great deal tho 150..for it..and the guy had it over a 29g too. I've seen his corals there better then picture perfect. I really dont think I should pass this offer up... Everyone on that forum said it would be perfect. And I could suspend it from the ceiling..
    thanks
    -Jace

Thanks
    Anyways, I hate staring at a prettymuch empty tank...Water and rock and sand are in there, (stupid cycle part)..Anyways....SO i did end up getting the light... I'm still trying to decide If i should hang it frmo the ceiling or just let it sit on the glass..It has those. leg things..
    -Jace

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    How high does the leg supports have the light at?
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Thanks
    4 inches...
    -Jace

Thanks
    So im hoping to get a mandarin Goby..In about a year from now..I want my refugiem to have plenty of time to grow and suport the tank of pod's I think im going to have a mandarin and 1 other fish...Can't decide what though..I want somthing unusual..Maybe like a two spot goby?
    -Jace

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    4 inches...
    That should be fine to put on the tank. Just make sure to put fans on the tank to take out some of that heat.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Assistant Moderator Skurvey Dog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Well hello Lil Buddy. It's good to see you back at TR. I am glad that you are able to keep a reef tank even though you have allergies. I have read through your previous posts and the replies that you have received and wanted to be the Big Sis I have always been to you and speak plainly to you as I have always done in the past. I see where you have the "tank" set up with your salt water and sand in it. What other means are you planning on or have thought about for your "filtration" or biological filter? Are you planning on adding live rock, dead rock and seeding it? I would encourage you to do so if you had not made plans otherwise. I noticed in one of your post, you made mention that you were "not" adding a skimmer. I have heard of some successful reef tanks that did not incorporate a skimmer, but they had a remote deep sand bed as well as a inhouse deep sand bed. I see where you are planning on having a fuge and that would make a nice, beneficial addition to your main DT. I do so encourage you to make future plans on purchasing a good quality skimmer. To me it is just as important or more so as good, appropriate lighting for the livestock which you will be keeping. I encourage you to continue digging through all of the wealth of information contained here on TR and spend some time in the podcast. Also when given good sound advise from the well versed, experienced and seasoned reefers on here, please don't look a gift horse in the mouth because we would never stear you wrong or try to sway your decission making process for personal reasons. Advise given is what it is and does not change if it is shaken or stirred.

About the fish, I am glad that you remember that you must be patient and wait, and wait and wait. One can not rush nature and the nitrogen cycle and it's delicate state as your tank grows and matures. I also challenge you to do your homework when selecting the 2 or possible 3 fish you will choose in the future. I do not recommend a mandarin goby for your size tank, even with a fuge that seems "full of pods." That's a whole nuther can of worms there. Just trust me on that one. I've never given you bad advise. I can't wait to see some pics and follow along with your tank progress. It's good to see you again. Remember....planning is everything and you have a long time in the waiting so put it to good use by doing research.

Will your voice count?
    One new reefer, another voice united with the many against ignorance and greed. Educate, influence, good stewardship, all in one accord to work together as a whole in saving our reefs.

"Get Reefy With It!"

Thanks
    Ahh thanks For remembering me it feel's great, Now when you said Don't look past advice given by experienced reefersI think your reffering to Me going against dick's words. on the MH light. I'm not saying I'm right or he's right. You just have to remember all of this Ecsphilly equipment does not come out of my wallet =/.. I pay for most of the coral's or what not that I get from local reefer's it's not to bad.. But I don't pay for light's rock sand tank's ect....

I pretty much get that for reward's of grade's. And specially going to a private school now I might even get a few extra buck's cause they know its harder .

Hah anyways.. As for pic's I have LR in the tank now...But...Not worthy of taking pictures of...Maybe some of my 125..? would that be nice?
    -Jace

Thanks

Pic's as promised!

Heres my clowns

Some coral shots

some more

Coral Beauty saying Hey!

Nasty little bugger.

By far the hardest thing to get a photo of..
    -Jace

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Great looking pics of your 125. Do you have a FTS?
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Thanks
    Sort'of a big update today, Well three days ago, I made a Complete DIY PVC Overflow, Man I feel like I can do anything now!, I never tought I'd be abile to do it, I also made my DIY sump that works decent, The only problem is my pump back up to the tank is giving off micron bubble's, so I think im going to need to fix that later on today, Also yesterday (saturday) I managed to sneak out to a local frag swap! my eyes where like this the whole time O_O! Spent 90 dollars, not to mention I bought 20$ worth of live Mysid's for my sump, So excluding that I spent 70 dollar's on coral and came out with 9 frag's All from local reefer's Including pink's birds nest ~3 inches 5$ 15polyp bam bams 10$ Red burst Zoa's free 5, *traded some blue zoas for it* Flaming orange monti 5$ a blue catcus coral free, a birdsnest, Color unkown its still acclimating free, Yellow scroll 10$ really cool, and another NICE coral for 10$ cant think of the name, Pic's to come later..Btw all thiese coral's are still in my 125 for 2 reasons, One I have micron bubble problems right now!, and 2 Even though my paramaters say my cycle is over Better safe then sorry.
    -Jace

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Cool congrats on the new additions, Cant wait to see the pics.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Thanks
    Thanks Ray, I can't wait to get this tank the way I want it, Im almost there just gota get rid of thiese bubbles!, I feel like a loser because I'm staring into my tank to try and find thiese live mysid's that I put in the sump So far I've counted that three of them made the journey up from the sump LOL
    -Jace

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information