Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Creepy Crawlers

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Creepy Crawlers

yeah, i leave the daddy long legs spider webs up in our house as well,

A) they kill off most other spiders (safe cause fangs to small to puncture human skin)
    & B) if they do suddenly all die, we know to look out for the white tail spiders as they are on the move. (no webs, they hunt - real nasty)

Vquilibrium Productions

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Our daddy long legs usually stay outside. We don't have those white tailed ones but we do have the infamous black widow.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    At our house we have a lot of daddy long legs inside and out. I dont mind them much because they kill our jumping spiders, desert recluses (poisonous) , and those dang flies that bug the heck out of me. But any web that has no daddy long leg is gone. And up at my cabin we have Vinegaroon which they look like a spider and a scorpian very freaky looking and hurt like heck when they bite you. And the worst part when they bite you, you get that vinegar taste in your mouth for two weeks I heard.

Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    I am a big fan of killing all bugs and spiders and thing that freaking crawls! I will forever be sad they removed full strength liquid Diazinon from the market. I am sure I may have been a contributing factor as my dilution method was half and half! I loved that stuff - nothing crawled near your property.

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    that thing looks nuts ray.

Salty, if you only new what was a foot away in your crawl spaces you'd prob shudder..lol

Vquilibrium Productions

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by V View Post
    that thing looks nuts ray.
    LOL yea imagine seeing one for the first time in real life and its almost as big as your hand. It scared the crap out of me literally. And I was the one who had to kill it since it was in our cabin. Lets just say I didn't sleep well that night. lol But I am sure there is more creepy and hair raising bug's in the home of the Aus.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    yeah, but as mentioned, they exist everywhere but you dont have much trouble.
    in saying that- i swapped out some light globes to the new super low energy globes recently, problem is the bulb width isn't the same as the previous so i have a clearway halo space now. every so often i see spiders repelling down. They get squished if i catch em, like any good rainbow six 3 solder is trained to do..lol

Vquilibrium Productions

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Spiders??? We got spiders.

This one was 4” tip to tip. Couldn’t believe my eyes. Looked it up later and it said it was common around old buildings and homes. Haven’t seen one since.

We also have seen 4 Black Widow spiders. In fact there was one out by the aquaculture building a couple of days ago. It had a nest. I’ll see if I can get a picture of it tomorrow.

Maybe we should start a separate thread on the terrestrial critters and give this thread back to it’s original subject matter.

Dick
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    That is a big wolf spider Dick!

I found this guy (already dead) in the house last fall.

I have never seen a black widow with dots on the abdomen and back but the color scheme is sure right.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Neat looking wolf spider Dick, we have a bunch of those here at our house too but much different looking; not as long legs.

Carmie, that is a neat looking black widow, most likely a male if it was found dead.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Thanks
    eh we're kinda home to black widows, most any native will testify to the bite and the pain (often sickness).

Wolf spiders sometimes, but never that large!! The thing I fear most though is the Ant lions.... mean buggers... and they are seriously aggressive!!!

All that said... the worst I've ever seen was out in Dicks territory visiting family several years back... we pulled off the road for some reason near jacksonville and I got out to take a leak... just about walked through a green and black spider the size of my fist... "bannana spider" I was told...

I dont fear a whole lot, spiders... wig me out
    ~J

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    we got something simular to wolf spiders it seems. The red back

and the funnel web for your black window too

Thursday, May 07, 2009

Two Australian spiders, with a coin for comparison; the tarantula on the right may be the same species as the ones invading Bowen.

Australia is known around the world for its large and deadly creepy-crawlies, but even locals have been shocked by the size of the giant venomous spiders that have invaded an Outback town in Queensland.
    Scores of eastern tarantulas, which are known as "bird-eating spiders" and can grow larger than the palm of a man's hand, have begun crawling out from gardens and venturing into public spaces in Bowen, a coastal town about 700 miles northwest of Brisbane.
    Earlier this week locals spotted an Australian tarantula wandering towards a public garden in the center of town where people often sit for lunch. They called in a pest controller, but not before using a can of insect spray to paralyze the spider.
    Audy Geiszler, who runs Amalgamated Pest Control in Bowen, said that the spider was a large male with powerful long fangs and was so big that when he placed it — dead — in the palm of his hand, its legs hung over his fingers.
    Geiszler said that he had been inundated with calls from worried locals reporting sightings of the giant tarantulas, which have been pushed out of their natural habitat over the past month by heavy, unseasonal rain.

and then of course, just for laughs...

Vquilibrium Productions

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    wow V that is a scary situation. I don't know how you live life with all that danger. LOL I am sure you used to it though.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Raymond, if it is a black widow I think it is a female. The males don't have the shiny black color.

http://www.biosurvey.ou.edu/okwild/m...ges/bwmale.jpg

V, that red back looks a lot like a black widow.

http://www.romneypestcontrol.com/Gif...lack_widow.jpg
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CarmieJo For This Useful Post:

rayme07 (03-12-2010)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    +1 to Carmie, the males are smaller and brownish, not nearly as dangerous

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks Carmie I have never seen a male black widow alive before I thought they were black. Very cool Thanks for the pic too.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    We have resident Black Widows. Have killed a couple. One was out of her web hideout the other day clinging upside down on her web. It clearly showed the red marking. I left her alone. I’ll try and get a pic of her and post it.

Thanks for the pic of the male BW, Carmie. I didn’t know what they looked like.
    Amphibious

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Here is a beetle that I forgot the name of but my family calls them the stink bug because when ever they stick their but up like in the picture or they get squished they put out a stink that even skunks don't like.

Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Assistant Moderator Skurvey Dog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Only you can prevent forest fires little brother. Lol J/K That insect is quite fascinating. Are they wood borers or live in the ground I wonder?

Will your voice count?
    One new reefer, another voice united with the many against ignorance and greed. Educate, influence, good stewardship, all in one accord to work together as a whole in saving our reefs.

"Get Reefy With It!"

Assistant Moderator Skurvey Dog's Avatar
    Thanks
    That looks like a wolf spider on steroids! Lol That picture looks like he is around 6" in diameter.

Will your voice count?
    One new reefer, another voice united with the many against ignorance and greed. Educate, influence, good stewardship, all in one accord to work together as a whole in saving our reefs.

"Get Reefy With It!"

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Skurvey Dog View Post
    Only you can prevent forest fires little brother. Lol J/K That insect is quite fascinating. Are they wood borers or live in the ground I wonder?
    Which one? The vinagroon or the stink bug. Well actually to tell you the truth I honestly don't know on both of them. The Vinagroon I have only seen once and that was in my cabin up in northern Ca. The stink bug I have seen wonder around the desert areas where I go fishing here in Southern Ca.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    haha, stink beetle, i havn't heard that since i was a boy. kinda looks like a dung beetle with that pitch though bud. although ours are rounded in the rear for obvious reasons.

Vquilibrium Productions

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    lol yea they are pretty stinky though if even skunks run away from them. Nice looking dung beetle looks like its having a tooting old time there. LOL
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphibious View Post
    We have resident Black Widows. Have killed a couple. One was out of her web hideout the other day clinging upside down on her web. It clearly showed the red marking. I left her alone. I’ll try and get a pic of her and post it.

Thanks for the pic of the male BW, Carmie. I didn’t know what they looked like.
    First, someone else can have living space in the aqua building - NO way do I do spiders.

Why are you leaving her? I would use a torch and blow her away. I don't like bugs of any kind and I am the one you hear squealing like a stuck pig when something flies near me!!

We have lots of wolf spiders and they get huge and when they have their babies on them they appear to be lumpy. I am a pesticide freak and I know some of you will preach as soon as I hit enter on this message but I can't help it. I buy professional strength and mix it three times stronger than they recommend.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by saltaddict
    Why are you leaving her? I would use a torch and blow her away.
    LMAO! You are so funny. I’m leaving her for now because I want a picture of her. The way I discovered her is (confession time), I was peeing outside (I can do that because we live in the country) and I disturbed her web. This caused her to come out and investigate. She was on the underside of the web clearly showing the red marking. I was busy with the plumbing in the building and didn’t want to go get the camera. There, that’s why I left her.

You don’t have to worry about spiders in the building, the resident tree frogs and lizards keep them in check. Now I suppose your going to tell us you don’t do cute little frogs and lizards, either.

LMAO over you.

Dick
    Amphibious

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information