Thread: tenacles...

Thanks

tenacles...

I wish I had a pic, but I have hair like apendages that appear on my sand and my live rock, they come out when ever I feed my fish or inverts. If they should catch a flake of food they grab it and retract into the sand or crevasses in the rocks, I have wrasses in the tank and they don't seem to attempt to eat the creatures, I have a neon wrasse that tries to eat the antennae on my snails, anyone know what they might be?
    Don't sweat the small stuff...

Crispy Reef Monkey **MOD** Phurst's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Probably a 'spaghetti' or 'hair' worm. They're a beneficial and desirable addition for helping keep things clean. A pic would really help here.
    **KEEP ME AWAY FROM SUPER GLUE ... i tend to glue my lips shut !!**

Thanks
    ~J

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Check out http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/sn...tml#post106711 and see if it looks like your guy.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks

worms...

Thanks all,

there are only two tentacles but they don't look red they are more tan in color, I have a friend with a 180 and we can't find any in his tank and it's been up a couple of years longer than mine which was my concern. I have some sand sifter stars that keep losing legs faster than they can grow them back and was wondering if these (Cirratulid - aka Hair Worm? thx Renee) had anything to do with it. It would be so nice to get a pic but I'm not sure how to post it in the forums, I'll work on the pic and then figure out how to post it, thanks again everyone for the replies I appreciate it.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I have tons of them and consider them beneficial. I will see of I can get a decent pic tonight.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CarmieJo For This Useful Post:

sunny d polyp (03-09-2010)

Thanks
    Carmie Jo I use to siphon my gravel when ever I did a partial but stopped about two months ago, my friend with the 180 has a deep sand bed (5 inches) and doesn't seem to have any. Mine are all over the rocks also, in my earlier post I mentioned my stars missing legs and eventually disappearing and wondered if the cirratulids were to blame but I guess not. (Do you have an idea what might be getting them?)
    Were moving the first of next month and have to dismantle my tank and set it back up at the new house, I've noticed something eating my waving hand Zenia and caught my Sailfin grazing on it, I've never heard of one ever nipping an invert but I guess not everything is 100% reef safe. When I dismantle my tank he's getting the boot, I'll miss him because he was the size of a nickle when I bought him, I don't have the luxury of implementing tough love because I don't have another tank right now. Thanks again.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Check out the two tentacle section of this article. The Worms Crawl In… by Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D. - Reefkeeping.com
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CarmieJo For This Useful Post:

sunny d polyp (03-24-2010)

Thanks
    Thanks for the link CarmieJo, I just ran across your reply and I'm not sure why I do not get a notice via e-mail when someone responds to me on a thread I post on. I check the box to be notified of a response but so often I don't receive one.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I think the notifications don't work quite like they are supposed too. I don't want any and still get them.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Thread Information