Thread: Which tangs are most compatible?

Expert Reefer
    Thanks

Which tangs are most compatible?

Hi guys, I am combining my 2 tanks into 1, 300g tank, I have a powder brown and yellow in a 150g that get along and a naso and regal in a 180g that get along and a achillies and purple come with the new tank, could I combine all 6 in a 300g or which ones would I have the most trouble with? Thanks for your help.

Crispy Reef Monkey **MOD** Phurst's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Since they'll all be going into their new homes together, you'll have a better chance than most at success. Generally speaking, tangs of a similar body type are more prone to fight than tangs of dissimilar body types. Also, you have a fairly large volume of water working in your favor. The purple and yellow are similar body shapes, as are the naso and powder brown. Achilles tangs can be generally aggressive as can yellows. Getting a fish out of that tank once it's in may be a challenge, and 6 tangs is pushing it IMO as far as bioload goes, but I don't have any firm advice as to what to keep and what not to. it's possible they'll all get along. hard to say...
    **KEEP ME AWAY FROM SUPER GLUE ... i tend to glue my lips shut !!**

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    Thanks Phurst, I pick up the achilles and the purple on Sunday and was considering putting them in the 150g with the powder brown and yellow to see how they would get along or I could keep them in a 40g until the new tank is set up, any suggestions? The achillies is large, the purple is small.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    You’re taking a gamble on this no matter what you do. Introducing the Achilles and the Purple into the 150 with two established Tangs is a gamble. Housing them in a 40gal is a gamble because of the size of the tank. I understand it’s temporary but it is still cramping them and personalities will change just as people’s personalities change when crowded. You have to make that call.

As far as the 300 with 6 Tangs, you have enough room but again your dealing with six different species of Tangs which, under natural conditions, quarrel with one another and generally avoid each other. Remember, even a 300 gallon aquarium is still an enclosed closet to their natural surroundings. My advice is to feed and feed heavy often.

One last thought, my how you have been bitten by the BUG!!!

Dick
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    Thanks Dick, I really appreciate your advice. Yes I have definately been bitten. The 180g I had looked alot better in the guys basement than in my house, it had alot of scratches and my 150g is in my livingroom on hardwood, not ideal so the new tank I am hoping will be easier and in a location where water changes will be handy across from my laundry room with a sump behind the tank for easier access.

I have the 40g set up but what do you think of this idea, 1 put the achillies in an eggcrate cage in the 150g and observe how much aggression there is, if it looks like they will kill each other I could remove him or the pb & yellow (they both eat out of my hand now), if I don't see alot of aggression I release the achillies, he is bigger than the pb & yellow. The purple is small and I think I will put him directly into the 40g.

Thread Information