Thread: do turbo snaisl eat soft coral

Thanks

do turbo snaisl eat soft coral

I have some soft coral in my 29 gal biocube I bought 4 turbos snails on the recommendation from my LFS, I as wonderin do they eat soft coral such as polyps and mushrooms? they go right over them and i dont want them to eat them.

I assumed that my LFS knew that i had soft coral in there as i told them but would rather here it from here.

I also have a sea urchint is my soft coral safe from this guy as well.
    \
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The turbo snails are perfectly fine. The reason why they go over them is to eat any algae or left over food that may be on the other side of the corals or at the base of the coral. My turbos do it all the time by crawling over my zoes. What type of urchin do you have? Most urchins like the pencil sea urchin and the long sniped sea urchin are fine but I have heard of some cases were they eat corals when they do not have enough algae. With any urchin it is best to be cautious.
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    my sea urchin is a spiky ball. Things stick to it. and thanks for the reply i was worried about it and was thinkin of pulling the out.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mmenz22779 View Post
    my sea urchin is a spiky ball. Things stick to it. and thanks for the reply i was worried about it and was thinkin of pulling the out.
    No problem, your urchin sounds like a tuxedo urchin. Here is a link to some info and a pic:Saltwater Aquarium Inverts for Marine Reef Aquariums: Pincushion Urchin, Blue Tuxedo
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    what color foot do your turbos have? there are non reef safe snail. The red footed turbos are not reef safe.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJohn View Post
    what color foot do your turbos have? there are non reef safe snail. The red footed turbos are not reef safe.
    what species are you referring to? the only "red-footed turbo" i know of is Norrisia norrisi, which is found in the kelp beds off the coast of CA, and is definitely an herbivore. also, being from temperate waters, it doesn't live long at warmer temps. this snail is also known as the "red-footed moon snail".

about the only other red-footed snail i've come across is the red-footed conch (Opeatostoma pseudodon), which is an omnivore and will feed on detritus as well as vegetable matter. they're considered reef safe, but a starving specimen may take drastic action and feed on softies. also, these snails look nothing like a "turbo", as they have a large toothlike projection near their operculum, which is why they're also referred to as "toothed conchs".

just curious...
    Greg

Thanks
    I will post pics as soon as i can. either this week or monday

Assistant Moderator Skurvey Dog's Avatar
    Thanks
    One has to be very careful, especially when ordering marine animals from unknown sources, especially on-line. It is my understanding that in the last year, there have been many a snail, hermit crab and whatnot sold under the pretense of being "a certain species", but was not and wasn't reef safe, snails especially. Many of those said snails were not only, not reef safe, but were a cold water species and didn't live very long in a reef tank.

Will your voice count?
    One new reefer, another voice united with the many against ignorance and greed. Educate, influence, good stewardship, all in one accord to work together as a whole in saving our reefs.

"Get Reefy With It!"

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by saxman View Post
    what species are you referring to? the only "red-footed turbo" i know of is Norrisia norrisi, which is found in the kelp beds off the coast of CA, and is definitely an herbivore. also, being from temperate waters, it doesn't live long at warmer temps. this snail is also known as the "red-footed moon snail".

about the only other red-footed snail i've come across is the red-footed conch (Opeatostoma pseudodon), which is an omnivore and will feed on detritus as well as vegetable matter. they're considered reef safe, but a starving specimen may take drastic action and feed on softies. also, these snails look nothing like a "turbo", as they have a large toothlike projection near their operculum, which is why they're also referred to as "toothed conchs".

just curious...
    I dont know, I will see if they still have them next time I stop by that store. they said they were not reef safe and they call just about anything reef safe.

Thanks
    so far so good. My turbos are doing a good job. I now have 7 of them. Might get 3-4 more along with a few more crab. The more work they do the less i do.
    Here is my bio cube 29 gal. http://www.calportal.com/fish/
    2 Powerheads, 75 Watt Heater, 60 lbs total LR & live sand

Corals
    Neon Torch, Button Polyps, Green Star Polyp , Mushrooms,Xenia,Purple Death Polyp,Blue Mushroom,Red Muchroom,frog spawn ,Blue Clove,ToadStool, Red People Eaters

Live Stock
    1 Clown,1 Fire shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimp,1 pacific cleaner shrimp, 1 green emerald Crabs,15 Nass snails, 7 turbo snails, Harlequin Serpent Star, SS Star
    10 Cerith Snails

Thanks
    Ya it is tuxedo urchin
    Here is my bio cube 29 gal. http://www.calportal.com/fish/
    2 Powerheads, 75 Watt Heater, 60 lbs total LR & live sand

Corals
    Neon Torch, Button Polyps, Green Star Polyp , Mushrooms,Xenia,Purple Death Polyp,Blue Mushroom,Red Muchroom,frog spawn ,Blue Clove,ToadStool, Red People Eaters

Live Stock
    1 Clown,1 Fire shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimp,1 pacific cleaner shrimp, 1 green emerald Crabs,15 Nass snails, 7 turbo snails, Harlequin Serpent Star, SS Star
    10 Cerith Snails

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Turbos often are temperate snails and short lived at reef temperatures. You might want to add some cerith instead. They do well at reef temps and are a good algae grazer.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thread Information