Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MACNA 2010 Questions

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Question MACNA 2010 Questions

Hello everyone, I have some questions on MACNA.

My sister and I was wondering

What is the Banquet and Reception and what do you do when there?

Also Dick, do you know how much (money wise) restaurants are around that area.

If I do decide to buy a coral or two how would I transport them on the airplane? Since most airports don't let you bring a lot of liquids on.

If there is anything else that you may think I need to know please let me know.

Thanks everyone, I am trying to add up all I can to see how much I need to have. Thanks again.
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Besides eating dinner the banquet is where you hear the keynote speaker. In addition I seem to recall that is where the awards are given. The reception is a cocktail party. I can't remember why now but I enjoyed the one in PA but not the one in Atlanta. Orlando has every kind of restaurant from McDonalds to super pricey. I think in previous years I have spent about $20-25 for dinner on Friday night. Breakfast and lunch have been less expensive. Some days the vendors provide bagels and pastries for breakfast or pizza for lunch.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CarmieJo For This Useful Post:

rayme07 (02-20-2010), THEJRC (03-08-2010)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CarmieJo View Post
    Besides a good dinner the banquet is where you hear the keynote speaker. In addition I seem to recall that is where the awards are given. The reception is a cocktail party. I can't remember why now but I enjoyed the one in PA but not the one in Atlanta.
    ok cool. I am buying the full conference ticket, but my sister was wondering because she was wanting to attend part of the conference and the banquet and reception is exactly what she is wanting to attend. The rest of the time she wants to go shopping with her friend. lol go figure. When are those held on the first or second night. Thanks again Carmie you are a big help as always.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I think the reception is the first night and the banquet the second.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CarmieJo For This Useful Post:

rayme07 (02-20-2010)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Carmie’s got it right, Ray. The vendor doors open around noon (each MACNA is a little different) and goes till around 5pm. Then break till 7pm when the reception begins. The reception is a rather lavish open buffet in a large banquet room. There will be several open bars (don’t even think about it ), drinks are usually expensive. This is mingle with friends and meet new people. Most of the speakers will be there and you can ask them questions, if you can get close to them. They sometimes draw a crowd.

Saturday, showroom doors open at 9am and go all day to 5 or 6pm. Banquet begins around 7pm. Picture a huge room filled with round tables setting 10 people. Get there early and find a table with friends, help reserve seats for others. There are awards given and then the featured speaker, usually with a slide presentation.

Sunday, things begin winding down. The Raffle, which will have some awesome prizes, begins at noon. If you entered you have to be there to get your winnings. Some vendors hold separate raffles in their booth. Be aware of those.

Pack your bags leaving room to take things home. All through the show you will pick up free things besides all the literature. Free T shirts, food samples, medications, etc, etc.... You will go home with full baggage.

Getting a coral home is a bit trickier these days. If you have a small styrofoam cooler you can present it at check-in time and it will go with checked luggage.

You will have a blast! Your head will be exploding with new things.
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Amphibious For This Useful Post:

rayme07 (02-20-2010)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Awesome It sounds like fun. Thanks a lot Dick and Carmie. So bringing any Styrofoam cooler will be fine but would there be a limit on the amount of water in each bag? Or is that something to ask the airport?
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Do not bring any boxes. There will be plenty at the show. I’ll bring some small styros for carrying two or three corals back. Realistically that’s all you should plan on taking. The amount of water in each bag will be determined by the needs of the coral.
    Amphibious

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphibious View Post
    Do not bring any boxes. There will be plenty at the show. I’ll bring some small styros for carrying two or three corals back. Realistically that’s all you should plan on taking. The amount of water in each bag will be determined by the needs of the coral.
    ok great one less thing to not worry about bringing along on the first trip over. I was only planning on getting a few corals. I didn't want to get too much since money would be low anyways and transportation like you said. Thanks again Dick for your help.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I think that unless it is something that can be damp shipped (wrapped in a wet paper towel) what you will have to do is put the coral in a styro and ship it back as a piece of baggage.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CarmieJo View Post
    I think that unless it is something that can be damp shipped (wrapped in a wet paper towel) what you will have to do is put the coral in a styro and ship it back as a piece of baggage.
    Do you know if that would cost extra money?
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Depends on the airline. I think that Southwest is still carrying checked baggage for free. I know that American and US Air charge. When I fly I carry a backpack and don't check baggage unless I have to.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CarmieJo For This Useful Post:

rayme07 (02-20-2010)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    ok, Thanks Carmie looks like I will be researching airlines.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Thanks
    We only fly American and yes they charge $25 per checked bag. It can be costly - we check six suitcases every time we hit the airport and we use curbside because we feel we are too good to stand in line, (not really, just easier with kids), and that add the extra $30-$40 tip per check-in.
    You can carry on a small suit case that will fit in the overhead and take a backpack that will fit under the seat in front of you.

Carmie is correct that they have a variety of restaurants to choose from very close to Disney. If you are being budget minded and are going to Disney as I believe you mentioned in another post I would suggest going outside the park to eat. Food is expensive inside the park, even McDonald's.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to saltaddict For This Useful Post:

rayme07 (02-21-2010)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks Rhonda, but there was a change in plans I more than likely wont be going to Disney due to money but its fine. I am still not even sure If I can even go to MACNA yet or how much to save up that is why I am asking a few questions. I am working my tail end off getting as much money as I can so I am hoping and praying. Ill get there.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rayme07 View Post
    Thanks Rhonda, but there was a change in plans I more than likely wont be going to Disney due to money but its fine. I am still not even sure If I can even go to MACNA yet or how much to save up that is why I am asking a few questions. I am working my tail end off getting as much money as I can so I am hoping and praying. Ill get there.
    IMO - Disney is overrated!!
    I hope to see you at MACNA and I believe with your determination you will make itl

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    IMO - Disney is overrated!!
    And over priced. A day pass is around $75. First time we went, big sign advertised, "FL residents show proof of residency for discount pricing". I was relieved because I didn’t like paying $75. The discount price was $69. Big savings there! Thanks for nothing Disney. I would not go back. BIG money sucking machine that Disney.

Ray, your mind will soon forget even leaving the show. You are going to be blown away. Plus, you’ve got all these TR friends to entertain.
    Amphibious

Thanks
    I agree on Disney pricing. Remember, we are a family of 6 and we did four day park hopper passes which is suppose to give you a discount but we paid over $2000 for park tickets!! That was just to enter the parks - oh yea, and the trolley to take you from the parking lot to the gate!! HEHE Ask me if it was worth it?????? NOT to me, kids liked it. Frankly, they enjoyed the beach better than anything....

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I also agree, to me I have only been to Disney once and that was Disney land here in California and I really don't remember it so it was a waist. Its gotten to expensive and not worth it. I would much rather go to MACNA that is my Disney world. lol
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    in reference to flying the corals...

just overnight them to yourself via the mail

25. The Following User Says Thank You to PhotoJohn For This Useful Post:

rayme07 (02-22-2010)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJohn View Post

That's a good idea! It ends on Sunday so you would have to mail them out Monday morning.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Yea, I have thought of that I guess it would be probably a lot cheaper and/or safer going that way. Thanks John.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The cost depends on the size of the package. You can send a 50# suitcase on the plane for $25. FedEx is probably more than that.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

29. The Following User Says Thank You to CarmieJo For This Useful Post:

rayme07 (02-22-2010)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I dont want to volunteer Dick but I am sure some of us Floridians would be willing to ship your coral loots to you

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I dont want to volunteer Dick but I am sure some of us Floridians would be willing to ship your coral loots to you
    Yea, I think I can more than likely ether get it on the plane with me or ship it out the day I leave. But thanks anyways. Thank you all for your help.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    Is MACNA open to the general public or is it a trade show just for people in the business?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information