Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2 choices on led fixture. Need opinions!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Yes. Getting the photos off camera and on to Photobucket. Check tomorrow late morning for report.

Dick
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    just a teaser bud, trick looking unit in person or what?

Vquilibrium Productions

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Seems to be a good unit. The next generation of LED lights for the trade. Until tomorrow...
    Amphibious

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    your good to me bud

Vquilibrium Productions

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The following is not a scientific test with all sorts of meaningless data. It is an eye on the subject of our passion, reefs and lighting, along with some PAR numbers of the new Ecoxotic 23.5” LED Panorama fixture. Keep in mind I bought one of these fixtures and the test aquarium is my 135 mixed reef. Not being able to light the entire length of the 135, there will not be a full length picture. To compare the Ecoxotic Panorama LED to another fixture, I used the Nova Extreme Pro 72” T5 fixture that I’m using over the 135 with PAR numbers.

First the Panorama...

PAR numbers at the light source are extremely high...

The above number was directly under a WHITE LED. This is comparable to the reading I get when testing the summer afternoon sun in the pool area under the screening. Full sun outside the pool was in the 1500s. So this is a great starting point.

This number was directly under a BLUE LED.

With the sensor just under the surface.

At 6” of depth.

At 12” of depth. Notice the color of the red “mystery coral” in each of these pics, showing good color. It’s a “mystery coral” because I forgot what it’s name. It’s from the Tyree collection of LE corals. The first person to correctly name it will get a frag for free, just pay shipping. I’ll be the judge on correctness.
    Amphibious

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Continuing...

Bottom of the tank reading, about 20”. The 135 is 24” deep with a 4” DSB.

Wanted you to know it was not easy finding bottom space to get a reading. I was working down through the Panoramic fixture with the screening off the top so I could get the most favorable positioning.

Now some pics of the various corals and fish that wandered into view while doing this probing. The Tangs were in hiding of course.

White Candy Cane, complete with algae spots on the acrylic in front of it. Tough spot to clean without disturbing the coral.

Group shot of Pocillopora, Zoanthids, and Blasto.

White Candy Cane, Purple People Eater, PPE and Water Mellon mushrooms. Who on earth named them PPE???

Gobiosoma oceanops, the Neon Goby.
    Amphibious

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Continuing...

Mandarin and Pavona decussata coral.

Turbinaria reniformis coral.

Montepora capricornus coral.

Next I will post the PAR readings from the Nova T5 fixture and my final thoughts.
    Amphibious

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The Nova Extreme Pro T5 PAR numbers. Very interesting numbers.

Right under the fixture. To be fair, I could position the sensor directly under an LED in the Panoramic fixture because I could drop the sensor down through the top. On the Nova I couldn’t do that. Had to insert it from the front. That caused the sensor to be tilted at an angle resulting in a lower reading than actual. In order to get accurate readings the light must enter the sensor straight on. So, this is not a fair comparison to the PAR of the Panoramic at the source.

Just under the surface of the water. LED = 301. (keep in mind the angle is different)

At 6” depth. LED = 203. (keep in mind the angle is different)

At 12” depth. LED = 162. (keep in mind the angle is different)

On the bottom. LED = 91.

The Panorama also comes with what they call a "stunner strip”...

Each Panorama light comes with one “stunner strip” and transformer. Up to six stunners can be connected together on one transformer.

More to come.
    Amphibious

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Stunner Strips continued...

Focussing in the dark is a bit of a problem. Taking more time and more shots, experimenting with camera setting would result in better outcomes, I’m sure.

Branching Frogspawn under the “Stunners”.

Notes:

This is as unscientific as it gets. I’m not a lighting Guru nor a man bent on getting everything perfect. What follows are some random thoughts on this relatively new lighting option.

The results clearly demonstrate to me what I’ve thought about LED lighting since first introduced back in 2006. It is another option to lighting our aquariums, freshwater, saltwater fish and reef. In 2006 the big push was to lower energy costs and heat transfer to the DT. This, LED is a winner hands down. The first PFO Solaris series G left much to be desired in terms of PAR. However, PFO was not going to sit on their haunches with that version. They listened to the response from consumers and the Solaris evolved through the G, H, I4 and I5 series. Each one a leap forward into the LED future. PFO’s demise was really unfortunate for our industry.

Ecoxotic’s Panorama LED fixture represents a step into the future once again. A totally different design, the Panorama 23.5” LED fixture easily picks up where the Solaris I5 left off without some of the frills the Solaris had, such as the programability via the onboard computer. The Panorama’s lack of a computer is not to be construed as a loss of benefits but a cost containment factor. Using my 135 at 72” for comparison, the 72” Solaris had a MSRP (manufacturer’s suggested retail price) of $4,012. The Ecoxotic Panorama 23.5” LED would require 3 units to cover the 135 at a MSRP of $799 would cost $2,397. That $1,615 savings would outfit your system with a pretty nice PC or MAC aquarium controller program and a few nice corals.

Like MH, T5, Compact Fl, HO, VHO, LED lighting will evolve as new LEDs are being designed as we speak. This debate will go on for the foreseeable future. Some day there may even be a new technology we haven’t heard of yet. What to do today? I can only tell you what I’m going to do. The Panorama 23.5” unit will be further tested in our aquaculture facility. We will be buying 2 more of these units in the near future to be added to the current unit and hung over one of our frag tanks for further evaluation. I would not make that commitment if I didn’t think this unit has merit in our industry.

Like so many other decisions in life, it’s up to you the consumer whether LED lighting is in your future. If you are tired of fighting heat issues, high energy bills, burning yourself, or any other problems associated with the higher output light sources, then maybe LED lighting is for you.

We have been set up as a dealer. Like many other manufacturers, Ecoxotic controls the pricing. The discounted price set by Ecoxotic for the 23.5” unit is $759.95. We are working on building our web page to sell these lights. Until it is up and running, anyone interested in further information should e-mail, PM or call our toll free number. As a TR member, you can expect me to do something for you as I cannot adjust the price any lower. You’ll have to call 888 745-0449.

Dick
    Amphibious

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Amphibious For This Useful Post:

rayme07 (02-17-2010)

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    well done ampage

Vquilibrium Productions

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    Hi Dick,
    I'm new to this hobby and just starting out.
    Your review and how you wrote it up was great.Don't realy understand it that much seeing as how I don't have my 75 gallon tank set up yet.
    But at the same time the setup and the way the LED lights mount over your DT look great,to be able to swival them up out of the way for maintenace is great.At the same time the energy costs being lower and the heat factor make all the sence in the world.I am hoping to be ready in a month to have my tank up and ready to cycle could I start with just one and then have 2 witch I would need to have on my 75 gallon.
    Thanks again and I'm still reserching and reading.
    Phil

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Very cool and thanks for the review.
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    awesome thanks. I will be wanting to purchase one of these next month!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks Dick!
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by f1504b4 View Post
    But at the same time the setup and the way the LED lights mount over your DT look great,to be able to swival them up out of the way for maintenace is great.At the same time the energy costs being lower and the heat factor make all the sence in the world.I am hoping to be ready in a month to have my tank up and ready to cycle could I start with just one and then have 2 witch I would need to have on my 75 gallon.
    Phil
    You can start with just one as long as you think it through. Your 75 will need two eventually, so, what the best plan? Here are your options. The light comes with mounting brackets designed to either mount on your stand or on the wall behind the stand.

This graphic from Ecoxotic’s web site shows a three lamp set up. Visualize a two lamp set up. Your choices would be to mount the single fixture on the left or right before moving the stand into place. The problem arises when you get your second light. How are you going to mount it? If you can solve that, you can start with one. If you mount the first one on the wall AND using the first one’s mount as a pattern, drill holes for the second one, maybe that would work. I don’t know.

Remember, I did not mount this fixture to the wall or tank stand. My 135 has been up and running for 4 years. There was no way. It’s just resting on about 1/2” acrylic to hold it off the tank. This experiment was strictly to see how the light performed and to get PAR numbers.

I like this light for it’s energy savings over other choices plus, some unique features like you mentioned swiveling up out of the way to clean.

I was not able to test that feature as the light must be mounted on the bracket.

The height above the tank is adjustable too. This just looks like a clean, well thought out, professionally manufactured fixture. I’m going to have to figure out how to mount them over my aquaculture troughs.

This is what I’m working with, troughs with concrete block stands. I haven’t given it any thought yet but, I will figure something out. I’m buying 2 more for the next phase of this LED experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by rockstarnsc83
    awesome thanks. I will be wanting to purchase one of these next month!
    We’ll be happy to order it for you. When you are ready PM me to see what I can do under the TRFMD deal.

Thanks V, Carmie and Raymond.

Oh one final thought. They make the “Stunner Strips” in four different configurations.

They can easily be added to the Panorama light. Six of them can be plugged together using one transformer. This way you can enhance the color rendition and I assume, increase the PAR. They’re not too badly priced at around $45 each. They can be retro-fitted into any canopy or most light fixtures. Call or PM me on these. When I get around to this addition, I’ll report it right here.

With the aquaculture build in full swing, I have a lot going. That’s priority #1 right now. Just got the fittings in that has been a hold up. Balls to the wall tomorrow.

Dick
    Amphibious

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amphibious For This Useful Post:

rayme07 (02-17-2010), rockstarnsc83 (02-17-2010)

Expert Reefer
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I’d pass on the Solaris. Solaris is dead. While a few parts come with this one, where do you turn when it starts to go to he!!. The Solaris at any price is not a bargain. I’d go with the Panorama. In fact, I am. At least a couple more units for testing in the aquaculture venture.
    Amphibious

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Amphibious For This Useful Post:

rockstarnsc83 (02-19-2010)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I have a Solaris G. It has worked fine for me but I feel like you would be getting more PAR out of the Panorama.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thats gold, what a switch.

Vquilibrium Productions

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    The tank i have is an acrylic 36x 18x 20 . 20 being height of course. How well will the lighting work with that depth ? What kind of corals would I be able to keep? thanks!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Do you have sand or are you running bb?
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    will be running sand....nothing is set up until I get all the scratches out of the used acrylic tank I got.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I think in the top third of the tank you could grow most anything you wanted. I think zoas, shrooms and other softies will be find on the sand and you should be able to keep mid light corals in between.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information