Thread: random bouts of stupidity

Thanks

random bouts of stupidity

does anyone else ever have random bouts of stupidity? last night i was doing my weekly water change when one came out of the dark corner and took a flying ninja attack at my head! i started with 3 gallons of fresh distilled water in a clean 5 gallon bucket set up my heater and powerhead and walked off to get the salt. came back an hour later to nice 75 degree water mixed in my little bit of liquid calcium (it makes me feel better) and walked over to the tank with my bucket. set up my siphon so i didnt disturb anything and started refilling the tank. i got about 2 cups of water into the sump before i realized i forgot a major step, the salt was still in the storage cabinet at the back of the house! in a 17 gallon system, i almost nuked my whole tank for sure. what a night! anyone else got stories to make me feel less
    we are all on the long road to our dream tanks, im going slow and enjoying the journey!

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    yes i'll have a poke at this....

I got up this morning.......... *The End*

How's checking a strange noisy pump & almost setting your house on fire by forgetting oil was on the stove, thats got to be up there at least.

Walked randomly away & returned to a blaze taking the life of my once white (and Rectangle) vent extraction unit. Almost 3deg burns throwing the pot out into the backyard to save the rest of the house...lol

I now have the words "ScanPan" seared into my palms like some old Indiana Jones movie

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks
    i must say, my goofups dont usually end in a new tattoo.
    we are all on the long road to our dream tanks, im going slow and enjoying the journey!

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    nether do mine, but i thought it was funny

Vquilibrium Productions

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Well, there was the time I super glued a coral to my fingers, or the one where the tube came off the pump and created a fountain, or floating a bag of snails to equalize temps and forgetting about them til the next morning, and so on and so forth!
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Not using a GFI and my cord got water on it and almost burned up my room while I was dead asleep due to the fumes in the smoke.Thank God for my dogs and birds.
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    My blue devil likes to blast the sand out of the corners and I use a long wooden spoon to push it back. While doing this one day, I decided to move the powerhead with the spoon. The wife was sitting next to the tank and the spoon slipped and her head was covered with tank water.

I would rather have been zapped!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Oh, I forgot the time I was standing on a ladder (this from the lady who walks with crutches) working in the tank. I didn't want to get down off the ladder to move the light so I just slid it over. That worked for a minute then it started falling in the tank. So I grabbed it. You should not grab the lights if they fall into the tank. You really should not do this if you are standing on a ladder. You REALLY REALLY should NOT do this if you walk with crutches but insist in standing on ladders.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    ok, never cut mirror with a dull glass cutter. my thumb still doesnt move correctly. do you all remember that fiasco?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by boyesreef View Post
    ok, never cut mirror with a dull glass cutter. my thumb still doesnt move correctly. do you all remember that fiasco?
    oh yea I remember, just reminding me of it makes me get all woozy feeling just thinking about it happening to me.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    the one I constantly do now is pretty much the same... when changing water in my clown fry tank (days 1-8 where you pretty much have to change it once or twice daily) I'll seet up my siphon with a peice of airline tube and clamp it to the side of the tank so my arm doesnt get tired holding the thing... naturally it goes slow (just try a 2 gallon water change with airline hose) and inevitably I wander....

Hats off to all the clownfish who survive this each and every time!! even as fry its gotta suck to live in a nearly dry tank for a little bit only to be blasted with water when the idiot who drained the tank realizes he's got to get water back in.
    ~J

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I think we are all ADD!
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Crispy Reef Monkey **MOD** Phurst's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    LOL, great stories! There is oc course my infamous supergluing of he lips incident. Another one was when i decided to do a water change before I went to China for a week. it was about 11:30 at night, had 20 gallons of water all mixed up and ready t go. I change water by siphoning water into a 5 gallon bucket, dump it and repeat until I have removed the necessary amount of water. I was rolling right along, and as I was dumping out a bucket, I realized I had just removed one bucket too many! I took out 25 gallons of water, but only had 20 gallons to replace it with. Mind you this is 11:30 at night, so I can't pop over to the LFS to get more salt, or even pre-mixed water, and I'm leaving at the crack of dawn to fly half way around the world. Thankfully, I found a local club member who was still up and who could loan me enough salt to make up 5 more gallons. Crisis averted
    **KEEP ME AWAY FROM SUPER GLUE ... i tend to glue my lips shut !!**

Thanks
    lol I forgot about the glue incident.... I think the worst ones for me is when I go pumps off to feed and forget to turn them back on before I go to bed. I now run heaters in various sections of all my tanks now due to the last "cold snap".f=
    ~J

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rayme07 View Post
    oh yea I remember, just reminding me of it makes me get all woozy feeling just thinking about it happening to me.
    that was over a year ago now. wow how time flys!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by boyesreef View Post
    that was over a year ago now. wow how time flys!
    Yea I know it seems like yesterday I was a sophomore in high school and now I am a Jr. It seems like the older you get the faster time goes.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Thanks
    Ohhh...... to be a jr. in high school again. I'm dreading my 20 year reunion next year. You wonder where the year went........I wonder where my hair went, and where this belly came from. lol.

Thanks
    usually your hair migrates to your back and ears, and the belly is all of your youthful experience embodied. ok, i made that up.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
    Ohhh...... to be a jr. in high school again. I'm dreading my 20 year reunion next year. You wonder where the year went........I wonder where my hair went, and where this belly came from. lol.
    The hair probably went when the kids got to teenage years, and the belly from too many beers from all the stress the teens are giving you from then on. lol
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Thread Information