Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: V, This One's for You!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by V View Post
    oh no!!!!!, ozzie or not, not all beer is created equal little dude.
    soo true hehe
    in anticipation for my Miami trip this is my song of the week!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDp5IP76PeY

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CarmieJo View Post
    LOL. What is the slightly bear looking animal on the right top? We have wild horses on the barrier islands in NC but no camels that I know of.
    wombats carmie.

Normal wombat.....

the an ozzie wombat ...lol

here is the feral camels. if we didn't have so many kangaroo's, im sure they'd be in the dog food instead

Vquilibrium Productions

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    How big is a wombat that you have to have caution signs about them???? Geesh!
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    you'd break your foot or the front of the car if you kicked or hit one.

Solid as rock. what am i talking bout, you have bears, its just a smaller stockier version.

Vquilibrium Productions

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I haven't ever really seen one, just pictures. I guess I thought that they were about the size of an opossum. You guys have some pretty wild wildlife!

I was driving down to the beach and saw this huge black dog. A couple minutes down the road I saw a Bear Crossing sign and realized that it must have been a bear! Those babies go 150-200 KG, if you hit one of them it would be like hitting a cow! (Understand that I was going 70 mph ~ 110 kph so I wasn't really sightseeing.) Every once in a while a black bear shows up around here and has to be relocated to the woods.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    He may have been a joker and a flamboyant tool in front of the camera, but dont think this man had it easy. Everything can potentially kill you down here. & point in question, if you go searching for it, your odds decrease dramatically.

Vquilibrium Productions

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CarmieJo View Post

I was driving down to the beach and saw this huge black dog. A couple minutes down the road I saw a Bear Crossing sign and realized that it must have been a bear! Those babies go 150-200 KG, if you hit one of them it would be like hitting a cow! (Understand that I was going 70 mph ~ 110 kph so I wasn't really sightseeing.) Every once in a while a black bear shows up around here and has to be relocated to the woods.
    Thats a massive baby. Bears would be the worst, can swim, can run, can climb, massive claws, massive chops...arrrrrr. lol how you meant to get away.

Vquilibrium Productions

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Well we don't have pythons but NC has plenty of poisonous snakes!.

1. Copperhead (found throughout NC)
    2. Canebrake Rattlesnake (found throughout NC)
    3. Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake (found in southeastern NC)
    4. Pigmy Rattlesnake (found in southeastern NC)
    5. Cottonmouth or Water Moccasin (found in wetland areas in the eastern half of NC)
    6. Coral Snake (the rarest, found in the south and southeastern areas of NC)

I think that they aren't much compared to your crocks but we have alligators that can be 10-15' (~3-5 m) long.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    our top ten is

1. The Box Jellyfish
    2. Irukandji (A Jellyfish)
    3. Salt Water Crocodile
    4. Blue Ring Octopus
    5. Stone Fish
    6. Red Back Spider
    7. Brown Snake
    8. Tiger Snake
    9. Great White Shark
    10. Funnel Web Spider

although they say mosquito is the deadliest in the world due to disease.

yeah your not wrong, salt croc's can get up to 8mts & weigh 1000kg.. good eating though croc. Just dont joke about catching your own dinner..haha

Vquilibrium Productions

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Steve Irwin, (RIP) was awesome I loved that guy. I was hoping when I was old enough to go see him in person but then he died it was a truly sad day for me he was my hero. I have tried crock and that is the best meat I have ever tasted then second is gray tree squirrel but man that meat is so juicy. Have you guys try hunting the camels I am sure they are good eating and it will sure help keep control of your population. Hey while I am at it in asking questions have you ever tried kangaroos are they good?
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    our top ten is

1. The Box Jellyfish
    2. Irukandji (A Jellyfish)
    3. Salt Water Crocodile
    4. Blue Ring Octopus
    5. Stone Fish
    6. Red Back Spider
    7. Brown Snake
    8. Tiger Snake
    9. Great White Shark
    10. Funnel Web Spider

although they say mosquito is the deadliest in the world due to disease.

yeah your not wrong, salt croc's can get up to 8mts & weigh 1000kg.. good eating though croc. Just dont joke about catching your own dinner..haha

so i always wondered how bad it is to swim in the sea in OZ, on travel channel and Discovery they always talk about the dangers, but they never seem to say where its safe to swim ?
    is it different parts that have these guys ? or is it possible to get your a** stung or munched on anywhere you jump in for a dip ?
    in anticipation for my Miami trip this is my song of the week!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDp5IP76PeY

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rayme07 View Post
    Steve Irwin, (RIP) was awesome I loved that guy. I was hoping when I was old enough to go see him in person but then he died it was a truly sad day for me he was my hero. I have tried crock and that is the best meat I have ever tasted then second is gray tree squirrel but man that meat is so juicy. Have you guys try hunting the camels I am sure they are good eating and it will sure help keep control of your population. Hey while I am at it in asking questions have you ever tried kangaroos are they good?
    well, you can still his family bud, his daughter & son is growing up just like him.
    they still have the zoo & all his fortune, so i dont think their going anywhere.

camel, no, camel toe maybe..lol
    kangaroo is everywhere, they sell it at the supermarket. yeah i like it, its more gamie than beef, & you can destroy it easy by over cooking, but i enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    so i always wondered how bad it is to swim in the sea in OZ, on travel channel and Discovery they always talk about the dangers, but they never seem to say where its safe to swim ?
    is it different parts that have these guys ? or is it possible to get your a** stung or munched on anywhere you jump in for a dip ?
    ive been swimming in the oceans for years, & traveling out in the bad bush. You do see stuff every now & then, but ive had zero incident. Ive been bitten by a red back when i was younger, which made me quite sick, but other than that *touch wood* ive been lucky.
    yeah sh^t can potentually really do a number on you, but youve got to be silly to get done if you know what im saying. Most of us dont even give a second thought to whats around us, cause the incidents are very low.

In the ocean with the stingers, its more north in the warmer coastlines. so in most cases, a bottle of vinegar on the beach is good insurance.

but realisticly, if major unlucky & your done by a man of war, chances are you cactus before you even reach the shoreline & have a heart attack or lose the ability to swim - something to that effect.

all ive got to deal with down south in Vic, is the cold water (which i hate , major shrinkage), & the sharks - yuk.

Vquilibrium Productions

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    well, you can still his family bud, his daughter & son is growing up just like him.
    they still have the zoo & all his fortune, so i dont think their going anywhere.
    Yea I still see his little girl bindy on TV here in the states now and then. That would still be fun going to the zoo but I still wish he was here. Then again if I go then I get to meet you. Its a win win situation. Someday I will go I will have to put it on my bucket list. lol

camel, no,
    Why wouldn't you eat camel is it that bad??

kangaroo is everywhere, they sell it at the supermarket. yeah i like it, its more gamie than beef, & you can destroy it easy by over cooking, but i enjoy it.
    hmm I am going to have to try it sometime. Sounds good.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I got stung by a man o war and ended up in the emergency room. I was out past the breakers so the water was way over my head. I had welts from my neck to my feet except for wear my swim suit was. And, unfortunately, I was wearing a bikini.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    oh yeah great, there goes my death man of war story, sheesh, it only takes one surviver to poke holes in my logic lol

Vquilibrium Productions

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quick shot update - the misses has bailed on the marine tank by the way, she's still got the one bowfront nano tank going, ive hacked some LED's for her unit, namely for sleep time as its by the bed. But it offical, she has given up on the 8fter & left it to me. Can someone say extreme high flow

She has found a liking to small marsupials instead, which i guess was logical with the wildlife licences she's going for.

problem is though we've taken ownership of yet another big @ss rimless tank, which incidently will never see a drop of water, only crushed walnut shells & red desert sand. Im a terrible ... terrible influence.

Although yesterday i had to laugh in a "im going to kill you type of way" she brought into the house, a massive wood feature we sourced from the wild for the tank.

Previously it took me about a month to erradicate an ant problem that come in from 3 different collonies, im serious, these things trailed in massive black lines the entire length of the house. - Anyways i came home to find them all over the bench, with no trail leading outside. quite puzzling, till i noticed they were coming from inside the wood.

Im going to have to drown the wood first it seems. actually what am i talking about, its not my project..lol

As for my projects, most things have stalled which is #@$%ing annoying the hell out of me. exclusively due to lack of funding. Im not built to be poor thats for sure.

Im not going to make a big scene out of it, cause it must be frustrating as well being on the oppersite side seeing projects not finnished. However just quietly my personal excitement is gaining momentum cause my powercube isn't to far away from completion. I finnally put the foot down & am tackling one project at a time. Its the only way i'll get anything finnished.

Vquilibrium Productions

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    ( ).
    V....Your news guys made it on youtube LMAO...............

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Gold...........!

This was the better (insert longer) version

and for those whom dont know who she was, just another ozzie strutting her stuff
    Last edited by V; 02-05-2010 at 10:24 PM. Reason: link & pic eddition

Vquilibrium Productions

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    Gold..............Yea thats for sure............
    But V I got to tell u I'm going to figure u out somme day....LOL
    I'll be here I hope for a long time..............cause I think it might take that long.............
    But thanks again for talking to me and trying to help me out.

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    working me out it an act of futility bud, im pretty random in a predictable sense..lol

no probs old timer. i hang out here cause we've got a great bunch of people, its got nothing to do with the coffee bud, cause clearly thats sh^t..lol

Vquilibrium Productions

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    lol that video was funny.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    channel 9(rival station) were on to it 10min after it happened apparently.

The girl whom he was looking at, has even signed the petition for him to not lose his job... only in oz.

Vquilibrium Productions

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Random questioning - got to love it

As a biology student constantly looking at research for essays i am writing, I always stumble across journals that seem so amazingly pointless, or so ridiculously weird.

Strange research or discoveries doesn't always mean you will get ignored by the scientific community and may actually be the key to getting recognized. Not many people would have guessed that the journal article in Ergonomics "Impact of wet underwear on thermoregulatory responses and thermal comfort in the cold" (Bakkevig and Nielsen 1994) would get much recognition other than a few disconcerted people wondering where there tax dollars were being spent. But in 1995 this research was rewarded with a noble prize.

That is over 10 years ago, but now what I am really concerned about the $96,000 grant given to a student of Otago University in march this year, to study Bogans.

Bogans are New Zealand's and Australia's versions of rednecks, though they are "petrol heads" and only ever wear black. This student will study Bogans by immersing himself in the Bogan world; He will make sure that he remains fairly drunk, dresses tatty, always smell of oiled and talk about Holden's.

This wont be hard for him though as he is a Bogan already, which makes me wonder how biased the study will be. Nothing has come from this study yet so we can really say it's a recent discovery.

One of my favorite examples of weird science is the studies being done on the spider Evarcha Culicivori by Jackson, Nelson, Pollard and Cross.

In 2005 they released an article on how Evarcha is the only spider that feeds on human blood, which may reinvigorate the fears of arachnophobia.

The good news is that this spider only feeds on blood through eating female mosquitoes who have recently fed on mammals. The best news is it feeds preferentially on Anopheles (the malaria carrying mosquito). This is even a road of study that is being looked at in reducing the occurrence of malaria.

Weird science or strange science, good science or bad science, many of them will have great implications that may save the world, even if not recognized at first. Realistically though, strange science will always provide a great read and be a way to introduce more science to the less science intrigued people.
    Learn more about this author, Sage Doak.

((v's tip, watch it, he looks like a bogan too))

Vquilibrium Productions

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    But, blood sucking spiders are so much more sensational than mosquito eating spiders.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Random Observations

v, You are such a “hoot”! You would do great having your own Aussie Reality Show shown on American TV. Something like, “Australian Wonderland Upside-Down” by Vquilibrium Productions.

And now brought to you by Vquilibrium Productions, Miranda Kerr. Proving once and for all not everything Australian is upside-down.

Err, excuse me Miss kerr, My name is Ampage. It seems as if you are having trouble with that tie string. May I help you ti-ti-ti-ti-tie it?

Quote Originally Posted by carmiejo
    i was driving down to the beach and saw this huge black dog. A couple minutes down the road i saw a bear crossing sign and realized that it must have been a bear! Those babies go 150-200 kg, if you hit one of them it would be like hitting a cow! (understand that i was going 70 mph ~ 110 kph so i wasn't really sightseeing.) every once in a while a black bear shows up around here and has to be relocated to the woods.
    Speaking of Black Bears, they can get huge...

Here’s the story on the bear...

A huge hibernating male black bear was killed Nov. 26 in northern Dunn County (Wisconsin) when it was hit by a combine.

Neil Schlough of Boyceville was harvesting corn in a field on the Pinehurst Farm at about 7 o'clock that evening a few miles south of the Dunn/Barron county line, just off of County Road VVV, or about 22 miles north of Menomonie. The bear was denning in the field, having dug a hole about a foot deep to lay in and pulled in debris from the corn stalks in on top of itself.
    According to his wife, Phyllis, Neil came upon the bear with the outside row of his combine head and drove the outside snout into the animal's neck and shoulder and pushed it about six or seven feet. She said Neil felt the combine strike something and the outside snout was pushed up into the air (the combine wasn't damaged).

"He stepped out of the combine and saw that he had hit an animal," she said. "At first he thought one of our dairy steers over there had gotten out, went in the corn field, ate too much corn and died." But it didn't take long for Neil to realize it was a bear, but it did take longer to realize how big it was. She said he called her and told her he thought it weighed about 300 pounds.

The DNR was called immediately and Conservation Warden Jim Cleven responded. A skid steer was taken to the field, and the bear was lifted up so that it could be dressed out. "With the lights ... we could see that it was a pretty big bear," Phyllis said. "But we had no idea until the locker plant put it on a scale that it weighed as much as it did."
    The bear was taken to the Augusta Locker Plant to be prepared for mounting. It was there that the animal was first weighed and measured. Field dressed, the bear weighed in at 618 pounds and measured 7 feet from head to tail.
    The Schloughs were told at the locker that they could add 80 to 100 pounds, depending on the size animal, to reach an approximate actual weight.

"So we figure that bear had to weigh at least 700. We figure 700 to 720," Phyllis said.
    It's too early to tell if the massive animal will break any records since the skull has to be dried for 60 days before it can be scored. Phyllis says they believe it has the potential to break the state mark and will probably break the Dunn County record.

More common DNR wildlife specialist Jess Carstens said, "This is a thing that, for whatever reason, is happening quite regularly that [bears] are denning up in the middle of fields and corn fields seem to be particularly common . due to the amount of debris from harvesting the c orn that's on the ground. There's a little more stuff to pull in on top of them as they snuggle into the hold that they've dug.”

Phyllis reported that they frequently see bears on their land. And she said she recently saw a sow and cub in a corn field that was being harvested. A full-body mount After paying $75 to keep the bear, Neil is having the bear full-body mounted by Tom Persons, owner of TP Taxidermy.

"He's hardly ever had time to hunt or fish or anything because of farming," Phyllis said of Neil. " And so, he's going to keep the bear, and he's going to have it mounted. He's really proud of his trophy.."
    She said they were told by Persons that he'll have to use a grizzly bear form to mount the bear because there aren't black bear mounts big enough to do the job. Person reportedly also believes the bear to be 15 to 20 years old, but a tooth will be pulled during the mounting process to determine its age..

Phyllis said Neil was recently trying to come up with a name for the huge animal that will soon occupy a large amount of space somewhere in their home. "I thought this was kind of funny. He said, 'I'm going to name that thing Hercules.' ... I thought Hercules for that bear was a good name."
    The guy watching nude photos while on camera? A classic “gotcha"!!!

Ampage
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information