Thread: How much do I take out...

Blog Entries
    Thanks

How much do I take out...

Hey eveyone, I was wondering how much to take out for water changes in my 10 gallon nano. I do not have any skimmer or sump. I was told by a trusted LFS guy 50% (5 gallons) but to me that does not sound right. I was thinking about a gallon or two. Thanks
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Now that I have nitrates under control, I'm doing a 2 gallon change and about a gallon top off every week. In the begining I had the media bag and sponge in the HOB filter and was doing 4 to 5 gallons per week and couldn't get the nitrates below 30. After 6 months of that headache, I ditched the sponge and media and only put the carbon in there. I cut way back on the overfeeding I was doing,and a couple months later nitrates were down alot. Now it stays between 5 and 10. Still have room for improvement, but for the setup I have, I can't complain. Don't know if that will help or not, every situation is different and your test kits should point you in right direction on water changes.

Thanks
    Weird...the word media showed up twice, when I went to edit it was only there once. Also I see some peoples sigs go through the middle of a post or pics. Guess there are still some kinks to work out.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Raymond,

If you were doing 5 gallons a week I would do a gallon a day. I would only do a 50% water change in an emergency. You upset the osmotic balance with such a large water change and that is very hard, especially on the micro critters.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    I agree you should only do 50% in stressed times.

I personally changed 2.5 gallons per 7 days in my nano tanks. I was very careful not to overfeed. LOVED my nanos!!

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    bud, its subjective. You're not so green anymore, you already know this stuff & its principles, your also thinking from a new frontier point of view & as a result, this V-Wake-up Slap is just for you.
    Just cause its small doesn't mean anything, small means your more the direct puppet master of the show or as i like to think of it, a Reef Clipper, cause your trimming the variables within a range..lol
    Other than that bud, its pretty much the same. So take control of the reins as you normally would & let your reef instincts guide you.

If its friendly wisdom & a rounded encouragement your after, this is my worldly input.....

Think logical, Your not going to have the extra space you once had, so your spikes will have to be at the back of your mind. Nitrate as others have suggested will be the biggest standing issue, so if your going coral, deploy the same mentalities to curve it.
    Dont over love your animals & stick to 10-15% weekly untill you work out your bench mark. New tank though, so the benchmark & sensitivity will change on a slopping curve just as your big tank did. From now on though, cause & effect will be the underlying principle you have to adhere to, but its a cinch bud, you'll be right!

Id also suggest you seriously entertain the notion of a gravity return remote DSB

Vquilibrium Productions

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by CarmieJo View Post
    Raymond,

If you were doing 5 gallons a week I would do a gallon a day. I would only do a 50% water change in an emergency. You upset the osmotic balance with such a large water change and that is very hard, especially on the micro critters.
    Quote Originally Posted by saltaddict View Post
    I agree you should only do 50% in stressed times.

I personally changed 2.5 gallons per 7 days in my nano tanks. I was very careful not to overfeed. LOVED my nanos!!
    Oh no I have not done any 5 gallon water changes. I have been doing 2 gallon water changes a week. And when I went to my LFS the other day my dad was asking questions because sometimes he doesn't think I know what I am doing. Asked the question and the LFS guy said it would be better to do 50% weekly and I thought it sounded weird so that is why I was asking you guys. And now I know not to do it unless there is an emergency. I would never do anything that is questionable without asking you guys first. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by V View Post
    If its friendly wisdom & a rounded encouragement your after, this is my worldly input.....

Think logical, Your not going to have the extra space you once had, so your spikes will have to be at the back of your mind. Nitrate as others have suggested will be the biggest standing issue, so if your going coral, deploy the same mentalities to curve it.
    Dont over love your animals & stick to 10-15% weekly untill you work out your bench mark. New tank though, so the benchmark & sensitivity will change on a slopping curve just as your big tank did. From now on though, cause & effect will be the underlying principle you have to adhere to, but its a cinch bud, you'll be right!

Id also suggest you seriously entertain the notion of a gravity return remote DSB
    Not encouragement just some input to clear things up for me. Yep nitrtites are my issue right now. How would you go about making a gravity return RDSB would it be just like a sump if so then I should be able to do that. Thanks V for your help also.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    well im thinking after the fact. cause youve already set this up yeah. So unless you go a hang on(which there goes your display) your options start to decrease rapidly. Im more than happy to assist you in a design if thats the case. We'll come back to it.

This is your tank yeah?

You seem to have a decent bed & rock already.

Wait for it..... i smell some questions coming.

Where did the sand & rock come from, your previous tank im assuming?
    what nutrients have you added to the tank since setting it up?
    Assuming you transferred the water from your main display?, if so, what was your last readings from your old tank?
    Taking into account your initial losses you mentioned in your blog, is everything accounted for now?

The reason im asking, is we need to find why you have a nitrate spike already?
    If i saw that for the first time id say your entertaining a cycle.

This is the issue little dude.

You dont know your tanks benchmark yet, exclusively cause its new, adding things to encourage anaerobic bacteria isn't an overnight affair. Unfortunately dilution will be the best course of action for awhile. Have a batch of salt running & every-time your walking past the tank, scoop & replace a cup full. It doesn't have to be a science, just staggered.

Vquilibrium Productions

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Oh by the way, what do you like working with, glass or acrylic ?

Do you have some spare biscuits to trade for some building materials & tools bud. Or not for awhile?

Vquilibrium Productions

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    well im thinking after the fact. cause youve already set this up yeah. So unless you go a hang on(which there goes your display) your options start to decrease rapidly. Im more than happy to assist you in a design if thats the case. We'll come back to it.

This is your tank yeah?

You seem to have a decent bed & rock already.
    Yep that's my tank

Wait for it..... i smell some questions coming.

Where did the sand & rock come from, your previous tank im assuming?
    what nutrients have you added to the tank since setting it up?
    Assuming you transferred the water from your main display?, if so, what was your last readings from your old tank?
    Taking into account your initial losses you mentioned in your blog, is everything accounted for now?
    1st Q: yes
    2nd Q: none
    3rd Q: I am not quite sure but I think pretty much the same as this tanks.
    4th Q: yes everything is accounted for except I have not seen my hermit but in the old tank he hid a lot too so that could be the case.

The reason im asking, is we need to find why you have a nitrate spike already?
    If i saw that for the first time id say your entertaining a cycle.

This is the issue little dude.

You dont know your tanks benchmark yet, exclusively cause its new, adding things to encourage anaerobic bacteria isn't an overnight affair. Unfortunately dilution will be the best course of action for awhile. Have a batch of salt running & every-time your walking past the tank, scoop & replace a cup full. It doesn't have to be a science, just staggered.
    I did not want to add the corals over night but I had to since I had no room for both my large tank and my small nano. I had to put my nano where my 60 was. I am thinking the nitrates are coming from the water I used from the last tank. I am thinking with some water changes like you are saying should get rid of the nitrate problem.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Oh by the way, what do you like working with, glass or acrylic ?

Do you have some spare biscuits to trade for some building materials & tools bud. Or not for awhile?
    I like working with ether what ever is cheapest. But I do not think I will have the money at the moment. I just applied for a job tonight so I hope I get it soon.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    ok. i'll leave it to you bud. your under control.
    Im around the place anyways if you need me.
    Just dont talk to me when im in the boys room, cause thats plain weird..lol

Vquilibrium Productions

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Im around the place anyways if you need me.
    Just dont talk to me when im in the boys room, cause thats plain weird..lol
    If you were a toilet it wouldn't be weird. LOL

Anyways thanks for your help I will take that to consideration and once I get the fund I will contact you for help.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The last word from me before you join the rest of us in working land......

Vquilibrium Productions

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    lol You are so fascinated with that pooper scooping job V maybe you should be my left wing man. And we will save the world of dog poop one pile at a time. muhaaahhaah LOL
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Thanks
    Ray - I am sure you are seeing a spike if you use the DSB from the previous tank along with the water and such. I set up tanks this way all the time and it can cause problems when you take a DSB and mix the heck out of which is basically what you are doing when moving it.

Given the size of the tank and your are seeing nitrates and you used your previous water and sand bed, I would start water changes in the amount of 2 gallons every day until I got the parameters under control. I would estimate with the amount of sand and rock you have in the tank you probably only have about 8 gallons of water therefore you will be doing a 25% water change daily to pull things into control. Given the size of the tank I would put extra effort into making sure the new water is the same temp and salinity as what is coming out.

I know you have your corals but I would not add anything for at least a month after you get the nitrates under control. Although you used existing water and such you will need to give this tank time to settle.

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    lol , Thats a pretty steep curve at 8lts a day, on a 37lt tank. It will bring you into line near a week & abit at that rate.

Gota do what you gota do i spose , just when will someone get off their @ss to find a practical use for all this water we're dumping. Not everyone has a seaweed farm to consume it aqauponic style.

Vquilibrium Productions

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Ray - I am sure you are seeing a spike if you use the DSB from the previous tank along with the water and such. I set up tanks this way all the time and it can cause problems when you take a DSB and mix the heck out of which is basically what you are doing when moving it.

Given the size of the tank and your are seeing nitrates and you used your previous water and sand bed, I would start water changes in the amount of 2 gallons every day until I got the parameters under control. I would estimate with the amount of sand and rock you have in the tank you probably only have about 8 gallons of water therefore you will be doing a 25% water change daily to pull things into control. Given the size of the tank I would put extra effort into making sure the new water is the same temp and salinity as what is coming out.

I know you have your corals but I would not add anything for at least a month after you get the nitrates under control. Although you used existing water and such you will need to give this tank time to settle.
    Thanks Rhonda, I actually wansn't planning on adding anything to the tank till after I get those tickets to MACNA and the plane tickets to get there. Besides I wouldn't want to add anything until my params were perfect. I have self control and I am loving it. Thanks again for the advice I will follow it and hope my nitrates go down.

Gota do what you gota do i spose , just when will someone get off their @ss to find a practical use for all this water we're dumping. Not everyone has a seaweed farm to consume it aqauponic style.
    Actually V, they already have made recycling centers for water here in southern California (LA area), they have made centers to recycle the waist water for uses like sprinklers and others stuff. Well this clip will tell you about it. Its pretty cool. I have heard they have even done this and turned it into drinking water. Heck I would drink it.

Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Well it looks like my nitrates hit one of my corals and hit him hard. He was perfectly fine this morning but my sun corals skeleton is showing all the way now. There is still some baby's that sprout out on it but they don't look to happy. I hope at least they make it.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Thanks
    lol , Thats a pretty steep curve at 8lts a day, on a 37lt tank. It will bring you into line near a week & abit at that rate.

I found that killing shrubs in the back flower bed is a really good use for the water!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rayme07 View Post
    Well it looks like my nitrates hit one of my corals and hit him hard. He was perfectly fine this morning but my sun corals skeleton is showing all the way now. There is still some baby's that sprout out on it but they don't look to happy. I hope at least they make it.
    I am sorry to hear that! I hope the water changes start helping soon.

Thanks
    I too will be at MACNA this year and I look forward to seeing you all there.
    I am still waiting on my hubby to decide if he and the family are going also before I book my plane ticket and hotel, with our family a normal hotel room has to turn into a suite and we take up half the plane!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I am sorry to hear that! I hope the water changes start helping soon.
    It looks like it is. My zoe's of course are doing ok and so is my anemone. The only one that is scaring me now is my Green cup coral its closed and has been for two days. So far my nitrates went down 5ppm so I hope it goes down more soon.

I too will be at MACNA this year and I look forward to seeing you all there.
    I am still waiting on my hubby to decide if he and the family are going also before I book my plane ticket and hotel, with our family a normal hotel room has to turn into a suite and we take up half the plane!!
    yea I am hoping so far Bestbuy has not gotten back to me on my application so I am thinking that I may not be what they are looking for so it looks like I will be searching for jobs at grocery stores grabbing carts and bagging peoples groceries. I am determined to go so I am way determined to get a job. That is great that you can turn it into a family vacation its also a great way to spend it with them. My dad was talking about doing the same thing except while I am at MACNA they will be at Disney world. I just laughed and said well you wont have to spend the extra money on me because MACNA is my Disney world. lol But it looks like I am going to have to go to Disney world though since they were begging me to go. So it all depends on what happens and if we make it. Figners crossed.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rayme07 View Post
    It looks like it is. My zoe's of course are doing ok and so is my anemone. The only one that is scaring me now is my Green cup coral its closed and has been for two days. So far my nitrates went down 5ppm so I hope it goes down more soon.

yea I am hoping so far Bestbuy has not gotten back to me on my application so I am thinking that I may not be what they are looking for so it looks like I will be searching for jobs at grocery stores grabbing carts and bagging peoples groceries. I am determined to go so I am way determined to get a job. That is great that you can turn it into a family vacation its also a great way to spend it with them. My dad was talking about doing the same thing except while I am at MACNA they will be at Disney world. I just laughed and said well you wont have to spend the extra money on me because MACNA is my Disney world. lol But it looks like I am going to have to go to Disney world though since they were begging me to go. So it all depends on what happens and if we make it. Figners crossed.
    I am going to give you the same advice I gave my own children:
    Put in applications in as many places as you possibly can and don't wait for one place to call you before moving on. You may not get the job that you wanted in the beginning but something is better than nothing and you will gain experience that will make you more desirable to other employers.

My son is very shy and waited it out until he got the job he wanted so he wouldn't have to deal with people. It took three months for that to happen which put him three months behind in getting a car.

My family spent 7 days at Disney in 2008 and frankly we will bypass the parks this time if they go.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to saltaddict For This Useful Post:

rayme07 (01-27-2010)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks Rhonda I will defiantly be doing that I have about 2 grocery stores, 1 drug store and 2 fast food places plus a huge strip mall with tones of big time stores like walmart and stuff I will be putting in applications like my life depended on it.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Thread Information