SPS Reefer / TR Admin lReef lKeeper's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Article: What Is the Cycle?

lReef lKeeper (Bobby) Admin and Reefer

Water ...
    Custom 4x2x1 60 gallon, 40B sump

Equipment ...
    6x54w HO T5 fixture, 300+g rated Frankenskimmer, ATO, 3 Media Reactors (1 p04, 1 N03, 1 Carbon)

www.lmas.org

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Once your tank is set up with water, sand and live rock you will need to complete the initial nitrogen cycle before you add livestock.
    For the sake of explanation, using "live" rock term is fine, however in the true sense live rock is an established advantage to seeding, nothing more. The process will still happen regardless, albeit slower.

Good write up carmie

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by V View Post
    For the sake of explanation, using "live" rock term is fine, however in the true sense live rock is an established advantage to seeding, nothing more. The process will still happen regardless, albeit slower.
    Yep, that is true. It doesn't have anything to do with bacterial populations but even the highly prized (and then total pain to keep scraped off the glass) coralline algae will appear out of nowhere.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    cycles, the quickest way for newbs to kill there fish!!!!! (note: I was that newb at one time)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Of course we all were there at one time.

Welcome to TR, Jason.

Dick
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi Jason, to TR! I always say only disasters happen fast .
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi Jason Welcome to TR.
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    So a question on cycling. What experience do you all have with a product called "Microbe-lift Special Blend". It is designed to kick start a cycle from what I can tell, a form of seeding I would guess.

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Never heard of it till you mentioned it today.

See this is interesting.

They have the NH3 & chlorimine lock product, then they have the special blend. The special blend is basicly noted as being a bacterial charged product. Ive not seen anything say its directly used as an initial cycle catalyst. More along the product lines of "im giving your bacteria , so fastfood permission is given to load up"

But lets assume its the first case for a sec. what would that mean??, how bout we break it down to find out.

In order to produce a cycle we need nutrients, 10 drops of NH3 please.
    Then we also have bacterial strains that are both capable of salt &.....freshwater environments. (It maybe just me that has a question so far, so we'll keep moving.)
    So whilst we're on the band wagon, lets assume afew more things at this point.
    In order to achieve this only a few things spring to mind.

A) We let both mix inside the bottle, winner takes all !
    Result: Placebo solution that your dosing with a goofy smile.

B) They drop the holding solution into the acidic range, NH3 converts to NH4, bacteria goes dormant.
    Result: a better delivery system, yet conceptionally no different than any other silver bullet product.

At any rate, i dont believe this to be the case, its sounds more like cycle or prime products.

Now, the question I have is, how does this really assist our considerably long travelling friends in bags as they claim.

Fish produce NH3, they consume O2, bring CO2 dissolved levels up, stripping the alk balance. Given enough time if it drops below 7PH, NH3 starts converting to NH4 anyways. The dangers are more along the lines of when we acclimatise them on the receiving end that we do the most damage. Cause once we add water to the bag in as wilful jester of kindness, we're effectively poisoning them via a sudden parameter shift unbinding the extra molecule freeing NH3 once more.

Concentration camps come to mind with that outcome.

Interesting just the same bud. Interested other view points on the subject at any rate!

Vquilibrium Productions

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    Dual purpose, yep, I was wondering about that. Maybe the bottle is just a solution of shimp guts with some bacteria in it but the main purpose is that what won't live in saltwater becomes nutrients for the natural process that will occur anyway. Just in a fine solution so you don't have the ugliness of a piece of shrimp sitting in your new prestine tank. Anyway, my ammonias have gone up and seem to be headed back down while nitrates and nitrites are yet nil. So waiting none the less and not anticipating any miricle product that puts everything in at once and removes the waiting. When I poured it in at lunch break, it smelled like garlic as well but when I got back from work 5 hours later the smell was gone.

On the topic of concentration camps, a friends little girl, early teenager, is wanting to get a fish. She is thinking a gold fish or beta in a 1 gallon vase. After asking her how she would like to live in a box the size of our dining table I think she will be changing her mind. I told her she can start off with claiming a rock in our fish tank until she can afford something with more room. At least with a larger tank would only be akin to house arrest, but I guess though that is why we buy captive bred not wild since they don't know any better they are fine with live in captivity.
    PapaMcEuin
    Family Reefer

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    So, just looking for questions of experience with 55 gallon tanks with DSB LR. How much time did it take to cycle the tank?
    PapaMcEuin
    Family Reefer

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaMcEuin View Post
    So a question on cycling. What experience do you all have with a product called "Microbe-lift Special Blend". It is designed to kick start a cycle from what I can tell, a form of seeding I would guess.
    Papa, I don't suppose the product will hurt but I would not count on it to be a panacea either.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaMcEuin View Post
    So, just looking for questions of experience with 55 gallon tanks with DSB LR. How much time did it take to cycle the tank?
    That is the $64 question. I'd tell you ballpark of 2 - 3 weeks but there are just too many variables to tell.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Here is a great article on cycling. http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic23945-9-1.aspx

Thread Information