Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Testing new saltwater

Expert Reefer
    Thanks

Testing new saltwater

I probably should have asked this awile ago but now that I plan on keeping a few delicate fish I would like to know what I should be testing my new saltwater for the match the DT?

I now do salinity and temp, should I be looking at ph, kh anything else?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I match pH too.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    Thanks Carmie

Thanks
    I try to keep the pH and temperature close too, especially if I am doing larger water changes or maintenance.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    In the amount of water we normally change, 10%, it isn’t critical to match anything. In your case, a 125 I think, changing out say 15 gals at a time, you are not going to shock anything because as the new water mixes with the old any variance will dilute within seconds. All, or at least most, salt brands on the market today are pretty good at mixing up close to what we consider ideal.

Do I measure new water? Yes, for salinity, pH, Calcium, Alk and Magnesium. Every time? No. But, having done this for more than 40 years I ADD those chemicals in an amount I think will render my new water to the standard we seek. Am I precise? No. Does it matter I’m not precise? Not to me. Close is good enough for new water. It’s the water in the DT that maters. Keep it’s levels at ideal.

I’ve been using IO salt for most of those 40 years. I’m aware it mixes light on Cal, Alk and Mag. I automatically add a certain amount of each to bring it up to par.

IF, you are dealing with a Nano (anything under 30 gals) I would be much more careful. Even though the principle is the same, the sheer lack of volume changes the paradigm.

Dick
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    Thanks for your help. I just tested ph of my new water and it is 8.4, I have a light over my mixing tank, does this mean that I am leaving the light on too long? My DT is 8.2.

I am doing more water changes right now because I believe I have phosphates. When I follow the phosphate test kit instructions which say to allow 2 mins for colour to develop my phosphates test 0 but if I let the test sit for another 3or 4 mins the colour shows .25, so do I have phosphates?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Probably not in a quantity that would affect your water quality.
    Amphibious

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    I have been having a hard time keeping alk and calcium up. When I was using an API test kit I was trying to get the kh to 9 but had a hard time keeping it above 7 and calcium above 380/400. Recently my hubby bought me a Seachem test kit and I am testing 1.5 Alk and 400 calcium, I have been adding BIonic 2 part 125ml every other day and am still getting the same test results. The DT is 150g with a 20g fuge and 30g sump.

Is 1.5 Alk with the Seachem test the same or close to 7 with the API test kit? Do I need to do more water changes or just get used to adding BIonic every day? Am I not dosing high enough?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Whenever I get this question from reefers, I ask, “What is your Magnesium reading?”. Most new reefers ignore Magnesium as to it’s importance in maintaining the Alk/Calcium balance. As corals, fish and invertebrates absorb Calcium for the maintenance of their skeletal needs Magnesium is depleted too. If, in seeing to it that your calcium and Alk are maintained, you do not address the depletion of Mag you will not be able to maintain calcium. When you add it, it precipitates out immediately or within minutes. NSW has a Mag reading of 1250 ppm. My guess is your DT’s Mag is around 850. Get a Mag kit and test. Might just as well buy a quart of Mag at the same time.

Ocean’s Blend 2 part is formulated to take care of the imbalance of Cal and Mag. Just one reason Ocean’s Blend is the best 2 part on the market. Don’t take my word for it, try it. For all NEW Ocean’s Blend customers "The Cultured Reef“ will include a 16 oz Magnesium (a $19 value), with the purchase of a 2 gallon set, to help boost your Mag to 1250 or higher. Once there, Ocean’s Blend 2 part is designed to maintain 1250 or higher Mag.

For those 2 part users interested, here is the link to our additives - Ocean’s Blend

It’s the only brand of 2 part we’ve used for the last 7 years. There’s a reason for that!!!

Dick
    Amphibious

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    Thanks Dick, I do test magnesium and do add Seachem Reef Advantage it to keep it above 1250 but I do have to add it every 2-3 weeks.

When I add alk and calcium how soon after can I test and see an increase. I added this morning and tested an hour later with no improvement, would it take long to see a difference in water readings or do I just need to increase my dose? Should I be looking into kalk reactors?

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    Ok, I just tested alk again, this morning it was 1.5 meg/L, I added 125 ml of BIonic 2 part and now the test shows 2 meg/L, if I am doing this right, I find the Seachem test more difficult to use.

Should I add another 125ml tonight to try to increase alk to 2.5meg/L?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I’m not familiar enough with Kalk reactors to give advice on them. I’ve heard pros and cons on them and suspect there are good ones and not so good ones. What I’ve heard is some are over sensitive to tricky adjustments. Personally they are an expensive gadget that I’ve avoided by sticking with Ocean’s Blend additives.

Should you add more Bionic 2 part??? I’m too removed from your system to make that call.

Dick
    Amphibious

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    Thanks Dick, I have now added another 75ml of both Alk & Calcium and will test tomorrow.

How often and how much alk and calcium do you have to add to your system?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I add 100 ML per day. Test every other week and adjust if needed. My system is heavy on SPS and LPS so demand is fairly high. Every system is different.
    Amphibious

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    Ok, and what salt do you use? I'm sure I don't have near as many corals yet but I thought my addding 100ml was alot, maybe not.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I think that Dick uses IO.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Missy View Post
    Ok, and what salt do you use? I'm sure I don't have near as many corals yet but I thought my addding 100ml was alot, maybe not.
    Carmie is correct, I use IO. I wasn’t suggesting you use my amount, 100 ml. You need to find out the daily demand of your system.
    Amphibious

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    Thanks for your help Carmie and Dick. I understand Dick, I just had nothing to compare to before so didnt realize other added that much alk and calcium.

Yesterday am my DT tested alk 1.5 and caclium around 400, I added 125ml of BIonic 2 part, then test late afternoon were alk 2 calcium 420, then last night I added another 75ml of 2 part, this mornings test shows alk 1.5 calcium 400, can this be right?

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    Since my notepads keep getting up and walking away around here, I am going to post my tests and additives here for a bit. After this mornings test I added 100ml of alk and 100 ml of calcium, tests this afternoon show alk at 2.2 and calcium still 400, I added another 50ml of both, I hope I haven't overdosed. So it seems that the BIonic brings up the alk but it doesn't last the night. I will test again in the am.

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    Am test, calcium 400, alk 2, added another 50ml of both. I should have tested last night to see what I was up to after dosing but it looks like the tank drops approx .5 alk and 20 calcium overnight.

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    pm test, still 2 alk and 380-400 calcium, added another 100ml of both.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Missy, I think I would be adding 2x as much alk as Ca at this point. Ca of 400 is acceptable but alk of 1.5 - 2 is low. Ca and alk are inversely proportional so by pushing up the Ca you are actually pushing down the alk. If it was my tank I would aim to maintain Ca and raise alk. Once you get the alk up to a consistent 3 - 3.5 you can start raising Ca.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    Thanks Carmie, should I add another 50ml of alk tonight or wait until am? How much alk can I safely add in one day?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    What does it test at now?
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    My internet has been down for a bit.

I didn't get a chance to test again last night, but this morning the alk was down again to 1.7 and calcium to 380. I did a 30g water change and added 100ml of alk and will test a bit later.

I did test my new saltwater with the Seachem kit and alk is only 1.7, I use DD H2Ocean which says dkh should be 9.3. If I have to add 100ml or more a day of BIonic alk, I think I will switch to Instant Ocean salt.

I thought in case there is something wrong with the total alk test I would test the borate alk which I understand should make up 1-2 meg/L of the total alk, the borate test was 0, one drop of the alk titrant turned the solution yellow from blue. I am going to try and get an API kh test today.

I have been doing extra water changes in this tank to combat flat worms and red slime and may be stirring the sand bed a little trying to syphon red slime off the top, not sure if this would effect the kh reading.

I will post test results again later but any interpretation and suggestions are welcome.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information