Thread: Perc eggs

Thanks

Perc eggs

My pair of true percs have successfully laid and fertilized a large batch of eggs. The eggs are next to the anemone and are at a spot where I can get at them...now what do I do?? I've read the pod casts but I would really like to save and hatch these perc eggs. I have a 30 gal. 'fuge. Should I move the eggs to the refugium? I don't think the fry will last in the 125Gal. display tank. or will they?
    Because these are true percula, the LFS said they will give me a good price on the off spring. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Crispy Reef Monkey **MOD** Phurst's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I've never personally bred them, but I know a couple of people who do, and it requires a good bit of work, planning and a dedicated setup. There's TONS of information out there from folks who are very successful. I'd encourage you do do some research with Google and the like. You're bound to find better info than what i can provide you
    **KEEP ME AWAY FROM SUPER GLUE ... i tend to glue my lips shut !!**

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I'd head on over to MOFIB where there is more information than you can shake a stick at. Marine Ornamental Fish & Invert Breeders Association • View forum - Amphiprion - Clownfish
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CarmieJo For This Useful Post:

Dragonwolf (04-08-2010)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Congrats on the eggs. I have never bread clowns so cant give you any info. Sorry.
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    I started this thread out with a lot of questions about raising percula (eggs and larva)..now I'll answer my own questions..research...research ...research!!
    Anyone who has a mated pair of percs (any variety) will end up with an egg nest..so..what do you do with it? Probably nothing at first because they are going to do the naughty every 18 days or so. Every nest will be bigger and they will get better at taking care of it as they get older. They always lay the eggs next to their host anemone. Eggs hatch in about 9 days, right after the lights go out. A regular display tank is not the place to raise the larva (fry) as they will be eaten by just about everything in your tank so you have to move them to a small bare bottom tank, use your main tank water to fill the small tank. To get the larva out of the main tank you wait till lights out and shine a small dim flashlight into the tank, the larva will swim towards the light--suck them up with a turkey baster and move them to the small tank. Here's where it gets tricky, the larva will only eat live rotifers the first 10 days. Growing the rotifers is a whole different ballgame. If you can keep the larva alive 10 days you can switch to brine shrimp.
    Raising these fish in your home is not easy but it can be done. There is a lot of info out there and many different ways to raise these fish, some people move the eggs to the small tank just before they hatch, others grow the rotifers right with the fry, we are going to give it a shot and see if we can do it.

Thread Information