Thread: First Salwater Tank. 29G biocube.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Curious Reefer
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I definitely do not want that to happen. Did you get a wrasse to lower the worm population?

Another question for you all.

My return pump in the 3rd chamber of the biocube is pushing water back into the tank a tiny bit faster then water is getting into the 3rd chamber. I believe the reason for this is all of the LR I have in chamber 2. Its creating a bit of lag in the water flow. Anyway, I would just put a over hand knot in the line, but then the tube would no longer be long enough to connect to the return head. As a quick fix I put a tiny piece of cloth over the end of the tube which slows the flow.
    Does anybody know of a better way to slow the flow on the return pump?
    I looked for a speed dial or something on the pump as well...There isn't one.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Proseph View Post
    Another question for you all.

My return pump in the 3rd chamber of the biocube is pushing water back into the tank a tiny bit faster then water is getting into the 3rd chamber. I believe the reason for this is all of the LR I have in chamber 2. Its creating a bit of lag in the water flow. Anyway, I would just put a over hand knot in the line, but then the tube would no longer be long enough to connect to the return head. As a quick fix I put a tiny piece of cloth over the end of the tube which slows the flow.
    Does anybody know of a better way to slow the flow on the return pump?
    I looked for a speed dial or something on the pump as well...There isn't one.
    If you couldnt find a speed dial the best thing would be to take a little bit of the LR out of the 2nd chamber and see if that speeds it up for you.
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Curious Reefer
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I was trying to keep that as a last resort due to the fact that I was trying to keep noise level to a minimum because the tank is in my room haha.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I was trying to keep that as a last resort due to the fact that I was trying to keep noise level to a minimum because the tank is in my room haha.
    I know how you feel mines in my room too but I have actually gotten used to it now.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Curious Reefer
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rayme07 View Post
    I know how you feel mines in my room too but I have actually gotten used to it now.
    Ive started getting used to the slight trickle as well haha.
    As of now I just added more water and that's solved the problem, its very full now...

So getting ahead of myself a bit so that I know what to do when all my levels read 0. I read in various articles on the internet that after my tank is cycled I should do a water change and perhaps change out the filter and rinse the sponge. Exactly how much of a water change should be done?
    My LFS said do a 100% water change but that seemed very wrong to me. Can someone give me a quick rundown and how much water to change ect?

Thanks in advance!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    So getting ahead of myself a bit so that I know what to do when all my levels read 0. I read in various articles on the internet that after my tank is cycled I should do a water change and perhaps change out the filter and rinse the sponge. Exactly how much of a water change should be done?
    My LFS said do a 100% water change but that seemed very wrong to me. Can someone give me a quick rundown and how much water to change ect?

Thanks in advance!
    You are right a 100% water change is wrong because it would end up killing off more organisms on the LR and start your cycle all over again. The best thing to do is a 10% water change then check your parameters again and if all is good then you can add a fish, snail, or crab and see how he does for a week. If all is fine after a week you can start adding more slowly.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Curious Reefer
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rayme07 View Post
    You are right a 100% water change is wrong because it would end up killing off more organisms on the LR and start your cycle all over again. The best thing to do is a 10% water change then check your parameters again and if all is good then you can add a fish, snail, or crab and see how he does for a week. If all is fine after a week you can start adding more slowly.
    Ok good, so I am starting to learn something haha!

Thanks again for the info man!

BTW, read through your 60 gallon thread. That was a awesome tank! Sorry it had to go.

Thread Information