Conversation Between greengirl and Amphibious

13 Visitor Messages

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Congratulations, Allison! I am pleased that your tank is up and doing so well. Also happy I played a small role in helping you. Anything further I can help with, just ask.

Merry Christmas, Allison.

Dick
  2. well everything has worked out. I have little bits of coral in my tank and they are thriving. My program is up and off the floor. Thanks for all the help.
  3. Thanks for the update, Allison.

Dick
  4. everything is fine. I have started putting live rock and sand into the tank. I have gotten lights. I am making progress and that's all that matters to me right now. Thanks for all the help.
  5. Hi Allison,

How are things going? Haven't heard from you for awhile. Just wondering.

Dick
  6. Yes the tank is being kept school and I am trying to have a goal of setting up a tank within a two to three month period. I am borrowing lights from a kid who has a coral reef tank. and Yes I read the article you gave me. Very interesting and gave a lot of great hinter points. that's about it. Thanks for your help
  7. Hi Allison,

Thank you for being candid with me. Do you attend the school where the tank is being kept? Did you read the article I directed you to? What kind of light is on the tank? How quickly must you get this tank up and running?

Dick

You should be aware that the capacity of the 20 gal is quite limited.
  8. I am 17 years old. I have experience with fresh water tanks and I have been successful with them. I know it takes a lot of patience and that corals in general are a large subject. I have been doing a lot of research for my project and I know I have only touched the tip of what corals are.
  9. Hi Allison,

I have to be better about checking my messages, sorry.

I don't mind helping you. I will direct you to articles that will teach you, besides the advice I give you here. You do realize this is a huge subject, don't you? Learning it quickly is nearly impossible. There are two things I want you to do. One, Here's is my toll free number 888 745-0449, you need to program it into your cell. Some times I may want you to call because typing all this out is very time consuming. Plus, it's easier explaining some things in person. Second, you need to inform me of your age (approximate is fine). You'd be amazed at the number of parents that call me about the advice I've given their 13 or even younger kid. So, need to know.

Do not use undergravel filters. They are very problematic. Yes you need water movement. I usually don't recommend this type of filter but, in your case I think it might be best. A hang on the back filter (HOB) should be OK for what you are going to keep in this tank. I haven't used one in 30 years so, not familiar with brands. I have a call in to CarmieJo for recommendation on that.

Heater of 100W should be good. Make sure to spend a little more money and get a submergible heater. Jeagher is the brand I use but there are others.

Now for some extracurricular reading. You need to understand the "cycle" that happens in every aquarium. Eric Borneman gives the best explanation here - Building of a Reef (tank). Please read it and get back to me.

Dick
  10. oh and what type of heater for the 20 gallon aquarium?
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 13
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast