• Section Widget

• Welcome to the new Talkingreef Website

At this new Talkingreef site we are going to put a large focus on our content. over the years we have collected a lot of great stuff in our podcasts and in our forum content. We are also going to be bring over everything we can from our old project Reefreaders.com.
    To get more information on the site changes and for questions/feedback go here
    To enter the forums directly you can click here

• Bulkhead Installation

Bulkhead tips:

1. Always install bulkheads clean and dry, no silicone's, teflons or thread lubricants. Silicone's and lubricants cause the gasket to scoot out or not seal properly. Have you ever removed an old automobile windshield or other gasketed glass? The rubber vulcanizes to the glass with time and creates a perfect seal without any help.

2. Before installing the bulkhead take a few minutes using a jewelers file, nail file or pocket knife and clean any excess flashing off both the male and female threads and from the flat gasket mating surfaces. This is a common source of leaks.

3. Always install the gasket on the flange side of the bulkhead, never on the nut side, regardless if its inside or outside the tank. Installing the gasket next to the nut will lead to leaks. Hand tighten only with maybe 1/4 to 1/2 turn additional, no more.

4. When using threaded bulkheads, again clean the excess flashing from the threads and valleys and use a small amount of teflon tape or better yet the stick or crayon type of thread lubricant designed specifically for PVC treads. These can be found at Lowes, HD, Ace and all hardware stores under names like Laco, Permatex and others.

I use this one and have since the 1980's with great success.
    LA-CO: Product Detail - PLASTO-JOINT STIKŪ - Plastic Thread Sealant
    It stays pliable forever and does not tear or roll out of the threads like teflon tape. My swimming pool plumbing up to 2" was all installed with this in 1983, outside in Phoenix AZ and its still pliable to this day!

5. Never support any pumps or piping from a bulkhead, always use supports so weight is not on a bulkhead and gasket causing differential stresses on the mating surfaces.

6. Never screw anything to the external threads of a bulkhead, these are not standard tapered pipe threads and will leak. They are there to screw the nut on is all and are not normally even a standard diameter like 1" etc.

Hope you get some use out of this.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Noob Pluming Questions started by IRocky IFraser View original post
    Comments 3 Comments
      V -
      yeah, i remember that one, that was a good write up.

If memory serves correct, we still needed to expand on this some more didn't we to encompass things like drill ratio to bulkhead thread and all that other fun stuff.
      lReef lKeeper -
      i believe you are correct ... if you are talking about the bit being bigger than the bulkhead 3/4" bulkead = 1 1/4" bit. something like that anyway. i found it yesterday, waiting to be published to an article, so i just read through it again and published it.
      V -
      Good to hear.
      Ive drilled more holes that i could poke a stick at in recent times. On glass, as long as its not wafer thin, Its as easy buttering your morning toast.
      America might be different, however the costs per hole-saw unit are nuts down here, so i looked to the internet.

The Hong Kong varieties i brought in didn't have an arbour, so i made a flat bat for lack of a better word with some rubber matting glued to it. I used a normal wood hole saw to drill corresponding hole in it & literally clamped that to the tank to use as a drill guide. Worked the treat.
      [/IMG]
  • Adsense