View RSS Feed

Tank Journals

Members Tank Journals

1. Working on the Reef Tank

Okay, Kinda got one already. Some of this is the same as my intro, but I will continue to update this as we get it going.

Let me introduce myself and my family. We live in Santa Barbara, CA, and our family includes myself and girlfriend, as well as my 2 children, my son is 9 and my daughter is 3. Although we are renting our home, we rent from family, so we should be okay to make some of the modifications and cabinetry that we are planning, as long as we are able to repair and replace, ...

Updated 07-27-2010 at 01:42 PM by ryancmatchett (Update - July 2010)

Categories
    Tank Journals , DIY Projects
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sumps and Frag 1.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	4728   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sanding Canopy.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	4752  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inside Hole in the Wall.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	4754   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FTS1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	4755  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FTS with Rock2.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	4788  
  2. My Tanks

3. List of Hitchhikers

While I am still waiting on the cycle to begin I have seen a lot of hitchhikers so far. Here are the ones I was able to identify:

Vermetid Snails
    Brittle stars
    Asterina (tiny starfish)
    Bristle worms
    yellow polyp zoanthids

There are some others I have yet to identify and have only gotten a partial glimpse of. There is a small black colored clam on the rock which I have read is fine.

I am picking out Asterina stars as I find ...
  4. Bring on the cycle

Yesterday I bought about 10lbs of live (seed) rock and filled the tank. I have about 30lbs of sand and 25lbs of base rock in addition to the live rock. Now that the water has been added I am waiting for the ammonia to rise so I know the cycle has begun.

Below are some pictures form the morning after filling (the day of was nothing but cloudy water). Since the pictures were taken the rock on the left side was moved slightly inward to allow for better access to the glass for cleaning. ...
  5. My first Saltwater Reef Aquarium.

Hi all I am doing research for my first saltwater reef aquarium. I have had fresh water aquariums in the past. 1 community tank (55 gal.). One African Cichlid tank (29 gal (? we bought it used)). And a planted aquarium (10 gal.). I am currently doing research for when we move to a new house (Lord willing) for coral in my tank. The old freshwater community tank will hopefully be my Display tank, with the 29gal. as my refugium (/ sump? it will have skimmer in it and a slow flow with algae in it to ...
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast