40 LBS of sand(maybe more.)
Acclimation kit .
Master test kit .
Copper .
Thermometer.
40-45 LBS of LR.
And some mushrooms as my 1st corals!

I'm recieving a 46 gallon bow front on XMAS! :D

I know it's a lot, but I'm just getting started. ;)

rayme07
12-10-2009, 06:34 PM
And some mushrooms as my 1st corals!

I would wait on buying anything live till your cycle is done and the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates have gone down to 0. Then from there I would give it another week or two. After that you can go ahead and start buying your clean up crew a little at a time and wait a few weeks and see if any of your parameters change, if not then you can go ahead and add a coral or two just make sure you have the right lighting for your tank. I would recommend T5's with individual reflectors 4 or more bulbs for soft corals and some LPS corals. :)

Ryan Underwater
12-11-2009, 12:57 AM
I would wait on buying anything live till your cycle is done and the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates have gone down to 0. Then from there I would give it another week or two. After that you can go ahead and start buying your clean up crew a little at a time and wait a few weeks and see if any of your parameters change, if not then you can go ahead and add a coral or two just make sure you have the right lighting for your tank. I would recommend T5's with individual reflectors 4 or more bulbs for soft corals and some LPS corals. :)

I'm actually only going to have mushrooms in my tank for a while.

Until I can afford a light upgrade. I imagine mushrooms will be all that I can keep!

When you say that do you mean LR too? Because I read in several places that that can speed the cycling process.

rayme07
12-11-2009, 01:08 AM
I'm actually only going to have mushrooms in my tank for a while.

Until I can afford a light upgrade. I imagine mushrooms will be all that I can keep!

When you say that do you mean LR too? Because I read in several places that that can speed the cycling process.

No I mean anything like fish, corals, or invertebrates. Live rock is the reason why you are cycling the tank because once you put the rock in the new SW the dead micro organisms that help filter the tank cause ammonia which kick starts the cycle. In a day or two after putting the LR in if you do not see any ammonia then you can put ether a big pinch of food or a whole raw table shrimp to start the ammonia cycle. And there is no worry about the LR die off of the organisms and bacteria they will repopulate the rock again. What type of light do you have on your tank?

Ryan Underwater
12-11-2009, 01:19 AM
Well, I'm getting this: Marineland 46 Euro Style Bow Front Aquarium - Black - Sale - Fish - PetSmart (http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3804647&keepsr=0&clickid=body_rv_txt) and I don't think it says. Just says bulb included.

What is "SW?"

CarmieJo
12-11-2009, 03:00 AM
SW = saltwater
FW = freshwater

Ryan Underwater
12-11-2009, 10:33 AM
Thank you! I realized that last night while I was watching television and felt really dumb. haha.

rayme07
12-11-2009, 08:57 PM
Well, I'm getting this: Marineland 46 Euro Style Bow Front Aquarium - Black - Sale - Fish - PetSmart (http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3804647&keepsr=0&clickid=body_rv_txt) and I don't think it says. Just says bulb included.

What is "SW?"

Yea it may not come with the proper lights for soft corals. I'm guessing with what I see in the pictures that the light is made for freshwater. I would say the cheapest lights you can get is 50/50's that can support soft corals. I think you can find those at petsmart in fixtures for your tank around 45- 50 $$. If I am wrong please someone correct me about the 50/50's. :)

boyesreef
12-12-2009, 01:29 AM
i think that whole light in general is junk. even with a 50/50 i dont believe it would penetrate mor than 3 or more inches.

Amphibious
12-12-2009, 10:02 AM
Hey Ryan,

A couple of things. This is an expensive hobby as you are about to find out. Package deals such as you linked to are usually barely adequate for keeping FW and we marine aquarists find it necessary to piece our systems together. The lighting on that system is a good example. It is a standard fluorescent single bulb fixture. It may not be sufficient to even keep softies. It will be okay for fish and your clean-up crew (CC). Soon after setting it up you will want to upgrade the light to HO or Power Compact lighting. That will allow you to bring in some low light corals such as your mushrooms, leathers, Zoanthids and such.

Skip getting the copper at least for now. It just too easy to dose your QT as a precaution against Ich. I do not recommend you do that. I assume you read my take on QT tanks and their purpose, that being a Spa QT. The goal is to bring a fish stressed from all the moving around back to a comfortable state and let his natural immune system fight off diseases. A much more effective form of therapy.

The Koralia pumps are a great choice. A Best Buy for the money in my opinion. I think 2 #2s would be a great choice for your tank. Just a reminder - We are a proud sponsor of TR and have Koralia Pumps in stock priced with FREE SHIPPING. When you are ready, check them out here - koralia Pumps (http://theculturedreef.com/koralia.htm). We truly appreciate all our customers!!!

What is your plan for filtering the 46 DT?

Dick

Ryan Underwater
12-12-2009, 11:19 AM
I want going to get an Emperor 400 and then upgrade to a protein skimmer a month or so down the road.
I heard there were some kind of new bags you can put in them that do what protein skimmers do though.
How much sand do you think I'll need to have a DSB in this 46 gallon tank?

Amphibious
12-12-2009, 12:04 PM
There are problems using canister filters with reef aquariums. They work fine with 3/4s of the cycle BUT it’s the last 1/4 that builds to toxic levels and that is a problem. Canister filters promote good aerobic conditions for removal of Ammonia and Nitrites, that’s good. They do not allow for anaerobic conditions for the final conversion of Nitrate to nitrogen gas, and that is a problem. Nitrates build to toxic conditions and are hard to get rid of at that point.

If you go with a DSB in the DT it must be 4” minimum. That MAY relieve the above problem. Most reefers using a DSB and a canister filter, use the canister for occasional “polishing” of the water using carbon. Below is a link to a sand bed calculator for determining the amount of sand you need. SPEAKING OF SAND. It’s very important you use the right sand, pure Aragonite sand from the Bahamas is what we recommend. No need to pay for the pre-packaged LIVE Aragonite sand. Your dead sand will be come live in a few days using LR.

I know of no bag that can be used in a canister filter that will remove what a protein skimmer will remove. Beware of claims from manufacturers and LFS employees making such claims. ASK HERE BEFORE BUYING!!!

Sand Bed Calculator ("http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/SandBed.php”)

Dick

Ryan Underwater
12-12-2009, 12:10 PM
Thanks so much for the info!

I was actually picking up a protein skimmer and this random guy told me that!

That's the kind of sand I'm getting. TYVM for the calculate, but is it accurate for a bowfront?

Ryan Underwater
12-12-2009, 12:13 PM
It told me I need 120 lbs :/ haha

Amphibious
12-12-2009, 12:41 PM
That’s probably pretty accurate. You have to fudge the number for the extra needed in the curved front.

CarmieJo
12-12-2009, 01:17 PM
I would not spend any money on the Emperor filter, save it towards your protein skimmer.

120 lbs sounds about right for the 46 bowfront. I have 150 lbs in my 54 corner tank with a bowfront.

If you have the DSB, 50 lbs or so of rock and the K2's you should be good for your filtration to start. Then add the protein skimmer and that is really all you need.

Ryan Underwater
12-12-2009, 02:58 PM
Awesome! I have to have a DSB because I am a huge fan of the Jawfish!

CarmieJo
12-12-2009, 03:32 PM
I saw this on CL in Winston. saltwater fish aquarium (http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/for/1499181330.html) A 33 micht be a 36" tank which means the light might fit the 46. If it was $500 it should be pretty decent. It doesn't say how much LR and sand but it would probably be enough to get started. You could probably trade the fish at the LFS for credit on future fish. (What LFS are you using? I heard the Aquamains closed.)

Would you drive to the Raleigh area to pick up stuff? I saw this today on CL. Beautiful 55 gal Aquarium (http://raleigh.craigslist.org/for/1505489302.html) It doesn't say what kind of skimmer but it looks like a good amount of rock and you could probably turn around and sell the tank to get part of the money back. A 55 is a 4' tank so you would probably need a truck to get it.

Ryan Underwater
12-12-2009, 04:27 PM
I go to something called the pet and hobby shop.

I plan on using this place, but I haven't been yet.

Aquarium Center of N.C. Triads Best Fish Store Salt Fresh Coral Live Plants Aquariums Aquarium Maintenance Reef Tanks Frags (http://www.aquariumcenterofnc.com/) :D

Ryan Underwater
12-12-2009, 04:42 PM
I'm going to look into those! I'm very close to wake haha.

CarmieJo
12-12-2009, 06:46 PM
I got my sand and rock from a guy who was tearing his tank down. I have bought a lot of used equipment, including my tanks, and think it is a great way to save money.

Ryan Underwater
12-13-2009, 12:33 AM
Definitely the way to go if you can find the stuff!

I got a 46 gallon tank for 140 though! I think that's cheap.

CarmieJo
12-13-2009, 12:37 AM
Yep, that was good!

rayme07
12-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Congrats on the great price. :up: A tank like that here cost at least $250 at my local petsmart and petco.