PDA

View Full Version : Refractometers

rroselavy
05-17-2006, 04:32 PM
Hey all-

I originally seasoned my Coralife Deep Six Hydrometer, tap off the air bubbles and carefully rinse it after every use. My readings have always been around 1.022. I've been hearing that NSW has a higher SG, upwards of 1.025-1.026. Other info I've read states that most fish can tolerate levels between 1.020-1.025.

As my good friend Bender says: "What is the DEAL with the Ocean!?"

So far I've been exclusively using Catalina purified NSW (AFAIK) from my LSF, and topping off with RO/DI. I am thinking about ditching the Hydrometer in favor of a Refractometer, but is it really worth it since I am using NSW to begin with?

Also, does anyone have a brand of refractometer they would recommend? If I do buy one, I want one that will not break or be hard to read.

Thanks!

wildeone
05-17-2006, 05:02 PM
I am a newer reefer with about 4 months experience, but I would still check my salinity even if I was using NSW. When water evaps, the salinity changes, until you top off. I just have a habit of checking it at least once a week.

AdamJ
05-17-2006, 05:11 PM
absolutly worth it no matter what src of sw that you use.

as to a best brand, no idea

rroselavy
05-17-2006, 05:12 PM
I am a newer reefer with about 4 months experience, but I would still check my salinity even if I was using NSW.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. I have no intention to NOT test (I test about twice a week). I am just wondering if it is worth getting a refractometer if I am already using NSW, or if I should just continue with the hydrometer.

If I was making my own SW, I would definitely plunge for the refractometer.

-Scott

wildeone
05-17-2006, 05:29 PM
Oh, I see. I was told early on that a refractometer was better that a hydrometer. I have never used a hydrometer. I can tell you that Premium Aquatics had a special price based one a ReefCentral group buy. You may not actually be a member of ReefCentral, but I think if you go to www.Premiumaquatics.com (http://www.Premiumaquatics.com) and do a search for Reef Central, you will still get the RC price.

wildeone
05-17-2006, 05:31 PM
Actually they removed the special, but if you do a search on PA for Refractometers there is a Salt City special for $29.99

pham411
05-17-2006, 05:42 PM
hey rose,
i have been using NSW for 3 years now and the water reads at 1.026. i think a refractometer or some type of device that measures salinaty is very important. i use it for everything. yah i dont check my tank salinity everyday but i do mix synthetic salt water for my cultures. the refractometer make it so much more convenitent

Marauder-m
05-17-2006, 07:47 PM
I use NSW from my LFS, but I still check the salinity with a refractometer every time. I find that it can vary as much as +/- 0.03 (i.e. between 1.023 and 1.029). Never simply trust the LFS. Their intentions may be good, but they often don't have the time to check things like the salinity of their NSW and correct it if its out.

gwen_o_lyn
05-17-2006, 07:51 PM
Refracto all the way- hydrometers can be way off sometimes.

rroselavy
05-17-2006, 07:56 PM
OK. I'll splurge. So does anyone like the brand of refracto they own - and if so what is it?

Sybon, Captive Purity, Marine Depot (OEM), etc.

Also, what is your specific gravity, and why?

fat walrus
05-17-2006, 08:17 PM
i no longer remember the name of my brand because it was Japanese. but i've gone through several and must say that price DO make a difference. the more expensive ones have a much better prism, allowing you for better accuracy with a better scale and allowing you to read very clearly even in low light. also, make sure you get one that has a temperature compensator.

gwen_o_lyn
05-17-2006, 08:47 PM
1.025 because Rob told me too... really that is the reason!! lol

I have this exact one and it works great for me, but I have good vision for the most part.... trees can be blurry, but I just look at the world as an impressionist painting. Who needs glasses anyway??!?!?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9957&Ntt=refractometer&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

Marauder-m
05-17-2006, 09:08 PM
I think that consistency is more critical than the exact salinity. I keep my tank at 1.026. As long as you are in the range 1.024 to 1.027, you should be OK. you should, however aim to keep this constant. I used to be pretty slack with top-offs and my salinity would vary by 0.002 from one week to the next. I had heaps of troubles that are related to stressing. Now I have reduced that variation to 0.001 using my refractometer and my problems have dramatically reduced. Mainly noticed it with my soft corals. My leathers spend a whole lot more time open and they are growing much more quickly.
Please feel free to correct anything that I have said. I don't pretend to know everything and am always appreciative of comments on what I think I know.

Rob
05-17-2006, 09:10 PM
well, i m not sure how much i can add at this point..
i have a refractometer after about a year with a hydrometer.

i found my hydrometer was pretty accurate, but the refratometer was MUCH easier to use, and i know it will be more reliable.

i say refractor all the way.. :)

as for SG, i accept between 1.025 and 1.026, but shoot for 1.026 as this is usually the SG of the ocean in reef regions

Rob
05-17-2006, 09:12 PM
I think that consistency is more critical than the exact salinity. I keep my tank at 1.026. As long as you are in the range 1.024 to 1.027, you should be OK. you should, however aim to keep this constant. .

excellant... this is the main point.

you can be successfull anywhere from 1.020 to 1.028 depending on whats in your tank..

if you are reef, shoot higher, if you are FO, you can go lower
but overall, find your spot and work to stick with that....

rroselavy
05-17-2006, 09:34 PM
Thanks all, I've got enough to go on now. Right now, I'm just FOWLR with critters...so 1.022 may be tolerable until I muster the confidence to add some corals. If I do raise it, I'll do it VERY slowly.

-Scott

V
05-18-2006, 06:54 AM
u know im so slack ive never bought a refractor, ive always used my hydro.
what could be simpler than dump & check..lol
just the middle of the green zone on the unit indicates
1.023 - 1.022
so 1.025 is just below red line

just recalibrate it with mild white vinager after use and it remains perfectly consistant

Marauder-m
05-18-2006, 09:00 PM
They are ok for ball-park readings. The trouble is that the scale on the device tends to have a pretty low resolution. This means that you can still have a variation of 0.002 or more form one measurement to the next. With a refractometer, you can be confident that the salinity is spot on. A lot of people have no problems with using hydrometers. I still like the refractometer due to the small water volume required for measurments, the fact that you don't have to bother cleaning it in vinager and accuracy of measurement.

unleashed
05-19-2006, 08:58 PM
I use the aquamedic brand it was the best test kit investment I ever made I went through 3 hydrometers and found that not one of them was accuarate.they are much esier to use 1 drop of water is all that is required for testing and very easy to read. you wont regret the investment

fat walrus
05-19-2006, 09:49 PM
I use the aquamedic brand it was the best test kit investment I ever made I went through 3 hydrometers and found that not one of them was accuarate.they are much esier to use 1 drop of water is all that is required for testing and very easy to read. you wont regret the investment
i agree, even the cheapest meter is better than none, but if you can afford it, a TRUE lab grade one is incredible. i however still use my hydrometers because i use a unit for each different aquarium because i'm afraid of cross contamination. i do occasionally reference each hydro to the meter.