PDA

View Full Version : ???????????

Reef-Keeper
09-23-2009, 06:16 PM
What kind of algae is this? Its going nuts and my cleaner crew won't touch it.

Phurst
09-23-2009, 06:42 PM
Hard to tell. Is it soft or stiff?

saxman
09-23-2009, 06:48 PM
from what i can see, it looks kinda like Bryopsis...not much eats the stuff.

Skurvey Dog
09-23-2009, 06:57 PM
Was that the same type of growth that Dick had battled for months and then finally got a handle on it? I'm trying to remember. I'll have to go scan his build thread and see. Nothing would eat his either.

Phurst
09-23-2009, 07:00 PM
I'm not convinced it's bryopsys. Doesn't look feathery to mee. If it IS though, my scopas eats it like candy.

Skurvey Dog
09-23-2009, 07:13 PM
Not sure exactly what your algae is brother...... but here is the link on Dick's build where he talks about it. (The pic is of a macro algae and not the bryopsis)
http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/member-tank-projects/412-amphibious-135-gal-reef-21.html#post84645

On page 20 of his thread, there are some good pics showing what "Bryopsis" looks like. Hopes this helps. :heart:

I know you need to find the source of the problem, but in the mean time, I might take a bucket of water after a water change and scrub the hookey out of it and put it back.

V
09-25-2009, 12:03 AM
Phursty, you spin me out with your signature slogan bud, The wording is the kicker, its a strange mix of wording to explain time delegation..lol

Phurst
09-25-2009, 10:02 AM
LOL, my wife and I run that site, so it does indeed suck up large amounts of my time :)

V
09-25-2009, 12:26 PM
i had a brief look at it, your a dark horse indeed. I wouldn't have guessed you'd have that content running. Question : are you still known as phursty on that board?> :p

Phurst
09-25-2009, 12:32 PM
Hey, I'm a family man :) Yep, same name over there, but I don't post much, mostly work behind the scenes :D

rayme07
09-26-2009, 12:33 AM
Hey, I'm a family man :) Yep, same name over there, but I don't post much, mostly work behind the scenes :D

So your a double mod, for here and your fourm awesome you must be busy. lol :cool:

lance
09-26-2009, 01:13 AM
you have hair algae my friend a favorite diet of my sea hare which will make it disappear in no time at all.

lance

CarmieJo
09-26-2009, 04:01 PM
Sea hares are copious eaters of most green stuff. BUT, they will starve to death without a steady supply of it.

Looking more at the pictures I am wondering if you could have dinoflagellates? Is the brownish stuff slimy?

lance
09-29-2009, 12:38 AM
Sea hares are copious eaters of most green stuff. BUT, they will starve to death without a steady supply of it.

Looking more at the pictures I am wondering if you could have dinoflagellates? Is the brownish stuff slimy?

that is a common misconception I had applied this theory for the past three years in 3 separate setups I kept a sea-hare after consumption of most hair algaes they have moved toward diatoms and Dinoflagellates they have excepted nori as well but one thing has been consistent after the hair algae is gone and they do consume other forms of algae as well but they can die if you have a sufficient clean up crew of a snail per gallon and there is no algae or if you don't off them sheets of nori or algae's.

lance