PDA

View Full Version : Favia please...

CompulsiveAqua
08-27-2009, 09:08 PM
....I was very interested at a certain LPS when I went to the LFS today. They had a 8" round favia. I did some mini research today, but since everything that has been told to me on this website has been so informitive, I have some questions?:
Is 38.00 a good price?
It is flat...the research I did says it is typically a mound...is this a bad thing?
I've read many articlesand have not got a defined answer on lighting and flow except that is a deep coral and likes the blues?
Is it encrusting (move and grow on other rocks) or does it just grow itself?
Feeding one polyp is like feeding the whole thing? Is cyclopeez a good food?
Being flat, can I prop it ar an angle against a rok or does it have to lay flat?
Is the rip in between the walls in the pic ok? or is it something to watch?

Phurst
08-27-2009, 09:30 PM
Is 38.00 a good price?

Is it worth $38.00 to you? If so, it's a good price :)

It is flat...the research I did says it is typically a mound...is this a bad thing?

They come in all shapes. Flat is fine.

I've read many articles and have not got a defined answer on lighting and flow except that is a deep coral and likes the blues?

Medium light and flow. Typical LPS conditions will suit it fine.

Is it encrusting (move and grow on other rocks) or does it just grow itself?

It will mostly grow itself, but as the edges grow out, it can begin to encrust on rocks it may be touching.

Feeding one polyp is like feeding the whole thing? Is cyclopeez a good food?

It's a colonial animal. Yes, feeding one polyp will spread nutrients to the entire coral. Cyclopeze is fine, as is slightly larger fare such as mysis.

Being flat, can I prop it ar an angle against a rok or does it have to lay flat?

As long as it gets sufficient light and flow, you can put it anywhere that looks good.

Is the rip in between the walls in the pic ok? or is it something to watch?

I don't think it's anything serious. Good water quality, light, flow and feeding and it will be fine.

Amphibious
08-27-2009, 11:27 PM
What Phurst said is all true. The price is right too.

But wait a minute...

You can't just throw in a picture of an angel without saying something about her.

I assume she is your daughter. She is absolutely Beautiful!!!

CompulsiveAqua
08-28-2009, 06:34 PM
Ok....Rich...can I call you Rich? That is what looks like an angel but is NOT...Yep that's Penelope Delaney and w/o her in my life I would have no life. Thanks for the compliments...how old are you?

Amphibious
08-28-2009, 07:56 PM
Old enough to recognize Penelope as an angel. Yes you can call me Rich, as long as you realize I'm just fiscally responsible. :rotfl:

I'm 71 going on 17!!!

Dick