PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of baby hermit crabs?

alov515
08-22-2009, 03:32 AM
I'm new to this so forgive me if this has already been answered, I just can't find it. Does anyone have or know where to find pictures of baby hermit crabs? I know it is difficult to get them to breed, and believe me I'm not trying, but I think I have some and would really like some sort of visual confirmation. Thanks.

Amphibious
08-22-2009, 09:07 AM
Welcome to TR, Aneva.

I'm not sure a picture of baby hermits exists. My guess is they go through a larval stage where they are free swimming in the water column. Then days later they would go through metamorphose into the juvenile adult form.

Can you get a pic to show us what you got?

Dick

Iron E
08-22-2009, 09:21 AM
If you Google, "Baby Hermit Crabs" and then click on "images", you will get more photos than you need.

Amphibious
08-22-2009, 09:50 AM
The pictures on Google show show the juvenile of the adult form. I think she is looking for the fresh hatched free swimming form. Could be wrong but there would be no need to ID a juvi in a shell. That would be obvious.

Dick

Iron E
08-22-2009, 10:01 AM
That would be obvious.

Dick

True.

CarmieJo
08-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Hi Aneva and :welcome: to TR.

I couldn't find any images but the larval crabs are described as having large "bug eyes" with a shrimp like body. This info may help HermitReproFAQs (http://www.wetwebmedia.com/hermitreprofaqs.htm)

rayme07
08-22-2009, 04:55 PM
Hi Aneva Welcome to TR.