PDA

View Full Version : Brown Jelly disease?

Bubbles
08-15-2009, 05:26 AM
Hey guys,
Over the past week my Hammer Coral has been withdrawn and i couldn't understand why. Today i discovered this brown jelly stuff growing over an area that used to have polyps on it, I'm hazarding a pretty educated guess that it is unfortunately brown jelly disease.....:(
My question to you is; is it brown jelly disease and is it curable. I've heard about freshwater dips and other things. Unfortunately its a non-branching hammer coral, so i cannot see a way of cutting it without harming the coral even further.

Phurst
08-15-2009, 11:16 AM
Yep, that's what it looks like to me. I don't personaly know anyone who has had any luck curing it, but there are lots of things to try. I believe iodine is the most popular treatment.

CarmieJo
08-15-2009, 01:46 PM
Even with the risk of harming some polyps by cutting through them I think I would frag off the good part.

Amphibious
08-15-2009, 06:16 PM
Here's an article that might help you - Corals and Bacterial Disease (http://www.athiel.com/lib/bacterial.html)

I had it once on a Branching Hammer. After the disease ran it's course killing all heads. Little polyps began appearing on the skeleton. Today I have two adult heads from the original. Maybe all is not lost.

Dick

Bubbles
08-15-2009, 10:08 PM
a quick question,
can only hammer corals get affected? or is it all types?

Amphibious
08-15-2009, 10:41 PM
I'm not sure about all types but, the fleshier types of corals seem more prone to it. LPS and the so-called "meat" corals.