PDA

View Full Version : Save me!!!! Shag Anemone down.

CompulsiveAqua
08-13-2009, 05:33 PM
Welp, I did it again. First trying to keep a gonipora stokesi now a carpet anemone. I like to frequent several fish stores and look at the stock. For the last three weeks I have gone to PETinc. (changed name to save them)..In one of their tiny tanks sat a 8" green carpet anemone in about a half inch of sand under some salt creep covered T5's....mouth gapping....yes I am an idiot...I talked the store owner down to half price on account I try to save sea creatures. In the process of removing him I saw a very small tear in the bottom.. (it stuck to the tank). It's home now and has dug itself down...I would say 6" in my sand bed...cozy in a corner under 250 MH 20K and 96 watt 10 and 96 watt actinic 454....ADVICE PLEASE.
I know I should have told him to put it back when they tore when removing it...but I would rather try than let it sit ion that tank......what are my chances and if anyone has any tricks out there I would love to know them....

Phurst
08-13-2009, 06:35 PM
Nothing to do now but wait. Pristine water and food if it will eat.

CompulsiveAqua
08-13-2009, 07:54 PM
3705 good? Bad? Not sure?

Phurst
08-13-2009, 08:02 PM
Nice looking carpet. It doesn't look too bad off. It would be easier to ID the other anemone if I could see the tentacles and oral disk a little better. My first guess is a LTA.

CompulsiveAqua
08-13-2009, 10:24 PM
That is what the sketchy guy I bought it off of said, but I had never seen one this flourescent...i thought LTA had more of a curl in it tents...but if thats what it is ...i'm happy...thanks

CarmieJo
08-13-2009, 10:42 PM
Pretty carpet!

ScubaBosh
08-22-2009, 03:15 AM
carpets are tempermental...leave him alone and hope for the best! the picture looks good but they go down hill fast...been thru two unfortunately :(. this was my last one. when it went down hill, it did it in about 2days or less. so keep a careful eye on him and take it out if it turns to mush.
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd108/kingrace9/1004081941a.jpg

Amphibious
08-22-2009, 09:37 AM
Nice looking Carpet Anemone, James. It appears to be Stichodactyla haddoni. It packs a powerful punch on soft tissue and can cause severe pain and some swelling on sensitive skin. Yours looks OK at the moment. My advice is to feed it small items, like Mysid Shrimp, several days apart to see if it retains the food. I've experienced them taking in large food items, like whole Silversides, and then rejecting them a day or two later wrapped in a film sack not digested but obviously rotting. Once brought to optimum health they can handle whole Silversides. They should not be fed everyday. Give them a few days to digest the food or you will be dealing with these rejected film covered stinky packets.

Good luck.

Dick