PDA

View Full Version : aggressive clown

jsk412
08-02-2009, 08:14 PM
Hello. I am new to talking reef. I have a question. I have a 29G biocube with 2 b/w clowns. They have been together for almost a year and a half. All of the sudden, the larger one has become very aggressive towards the smaller one. I have seen a little aggressiveness in the past, but nothing to be concerned about. This has been going on for 3 days now. The first time I saw it, I turned off the lights, and everyone calmed down. But I don't want to have to do this everyday. The little guy's fins are getting chewed up. Other than that, he seems OK. Eating well, swimming around. I decided to put the larger one in timeout (back chamber in the biocube) until the lights go off tonight, and then I will put him back in the tank. Do I need to take one back to the LFS? Any other ideas? Thanks!!

rayme07
08-02-2009, 08:44 PM
Hi John Welcome to TR.

I think that your clown is being aggressive because the bigger one (female) is showing dominance over the male but is sounds like they may not be wanting to be a pair. You may have to take one back to the LFS if it does not stop. :)

CarmieJo
08-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Hi John and :welcome: to TR.

I haven't bred clowns but from what I have read it sounds like they may be getting ready to spawn. The larger fish is the female.

jsk412
08-02-2009, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the replies. I put the aggressive one back in the tank. So far so good (just 1.5 hours so I am not too convinced yet). But I will be keeping a close eye on them. If there are any changes, I will let you know. Thanks again!

CarmieJo
08-02-2009, 10:54 PM
Maybe rearranging the rocks while she is in time out would help too.