PDA

View Full Version : Thanks from a Newbie

rroselavy
05-09-2006, 09:25 PM
Hey folks-

I just thought I'd offer my thanks to Rob (and pals) for the excellent work in creating the first podcast series I've ever followed. My iPod was almost collecting dust before I stumbled on TR. I just had a "Talking Reef Marathon" over the past ten days by listening to all 49 episodes (+ the video DIY's). Phew! Congrats in advance for the 50th episode!

I am brand new to Aquariums, having just recently cycled a 24G Nano DX "for my 3 year old daughter", gradually adding a cleanup crew, a Spotted Cardinal and an Ocellaris Clown. We are having a blast, especially watching the Cleaner Shrimp grab food (and sometimes fish) and the Clown slurp down (spit up and then re-slurp) bloodworms. Even though my enthusiasm hasn't quite reached the "culturing phytoplankton" or "caring for Aeolid Nudibranchs" level, I have already imagined setting up a second tank for my office. Right now, my efforts are strictly FOWLR, but I would like to care for some corals if I can muster the courage to tackle some tank mods and concepts like Kalk drips.

Anyhow, I'll save my current questions for more appropriate threads. The internet seems to be busting at the seams with reef info, and this community seems like a great place to start.

Scott
05-09-2006, 09:48 PM
rroselavy...WELCOME TO TR!!!

So glad you stumbled across the podcasts and the site. Rob does such a good job with those podcasts!

Sounds like you are having fun getting your tank setup. You'll love it!

dreams
05-10-2006, 08:02 AM
welcome to TR, rroselavy:-)

JustDavidP
05-10-2006, 09:08 AM
RRoselavy,

Welcome! Enjoy your dip into the hobby. Take your time, take it slow. When you attain a comfort level with Marine Aquaria, you'll be ready to tackle different projects. Read, learn, read more and learn more :) It's addictive!

Before I jump into my meeting.. I did want to mention to you, and all other folks new to the hobby that as "mysterious" as it may seem, water chemistry, dosing kalk, and other topics you may consider "advanced" are really not all that scary. I look at these "advanced projects" much like the NIKE company does... "Just do it". You'd be amazed at how easy some of it is; even if it looks "techie-jargon spooky".

Again, welcome... enjoy your stay. The water is warm, and the natives are always friendly.

Dave

Rob
05-10-2006, 08:27 PM
Welcome to TR, and thanks for the feedback .. :D

CarmieJo
05-10-2006, 08:32 PM
Hi rroselavy and welcome to TR.

Amphibious
05-10-2006, 08:43 PM
rroselavy

http://www.theculturedreef.com/welcome.gif to Talking Reef Community and Podcast!!!

I think you will like it here. Lots of helpful friendly people.

Dick

rroselavy
05-11-2006, 02:57 PM
Thanks all for the kind welcome. It is clear that you are a great group.

David-

I am no stranger to techno-jargon, but my experience is with computers and computer graphics - not marine biology or even plumbing. However, I am not afraid to get my hands dirty (or in this case, wet). I only proceed with caution because I wish to understand the more advanced topics more thoroughly before diving in.

My first moves will be to gradually ditch the sponges and bioballs in favor of LR rubble. Then I may even remove the Nano lid and use MH lighting instead. Then I will see about adding some sort of refugium and possibly investing in a hang-on skimmer.

My goal is to get those Nitrates down to 0 (current test results at 5ppm) and remain there for a while BEFORE adding any corals. From what I have read, this may take 6 months or longer.

Thanks again, and see you in other threads!

-Scott

JustDavidP
05-11-2006, 03:15 PM
Scott...

My tank is at +ppm (to upset to even disclose)

Again, welcome..and enjoy!

Dave

Reefbaby
05-11-2006, 03:22 PM
Scott - Welcome to our friendly, happy, and hopefully insightful forum!! Glad to have you hear. And it sounds like you've got your plans going in the right direction. Hope all the knowledge here can be of help! :-)

Dave - glad to know I'm not the only one!http://www.websmileys.com/sm/sad/1011.gif