PDA

View Full Version : Peppermint Shrimp & Polyps

mcastfalk
07-14-2009, 07:14 PM
Do Peppermint Shrimp eat star polyps? I don't want to have my new corals eaten by the Peppermint Shrimp that I have in the tank. Some websites say they are fine and reef safe, others say that the Peppermint Shrimp will eat them. Which is it?

If the shrimp is not safe to have with the polyps, then how do I get the shrimp out of the tank?

Michael

Skurvey Dog
07-14-2009, 07:27 PM
Peppermint Shrimp are considered reef safe. Mine have never bothered any of my corals and spend the majority of their time out of view in my LR aquascaping. I mainly see them when I feed my tank. I also have stars and have never seen them on it.

saxman
07-14-2009, 09:01 PM
+1...never had peps eat anything but appies.

PhotoJohn
07-15-2009, 03:17 AM
should be fine

mcastfalk
07-15-2009, 06:57 AM
Thank you all for your reply. This has me concerned. The peppermint shrimp that is in the tank where I put my polyps was picking at the polyps - quite vigorously. The last time I saw this shrimp in such a frenzy was when I had a feather duster. He pretty much pestered and picked at the feather duster until it died. I don't want the same thing happening to my polyps.

Is it possible that I was sold a different shrimp and told it was a peppermint shrimp? This shrimp looks like a peppermint shrimp from the photos I've seen.

Michael

rayme07
07-15-2009, 04:27 PM
The store could of sold you the wrong shrimp. There is one shrimp that can get confused and is not reef safe the Camel shrimp here is a link about it.

Saltwater Aquarium Shrimp for Marine Reef Aquariums: Camel Shrimp (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+525+690&pcatid=690)